I'm finally convinced

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":s1kb2c6q said:
I am concerned to and have been since week one. Whether it was poor defense...first five weeks...or now poor offense...last several weeks....we will pull together.

TwistedHusky is right. Game planning is the number one concern. Week in and week out we are backwards playing. The game plan this week was to focus on defense and just let russ score a few. They focused to much on d and didnt put in the effort on offense. Now next week we will stress offense and the defense will allow the jets to score a few. Which they should. Just took the raiders to the very last seconds. But we will make it look easy somehow. And everyone will be mad at the defense again for allowing the lowly jets put points on us.

The question is will the hawks put together a whole team effort for a whole game or will they be more concerned with controlling a game by time and winning in the 4th quarter.

I swear...the way they play is take a week off or two to prepare for teams ahead. Not teams we play this week. Watch, when they allow carson to carry the load and we have flowers, dunbar, griffin, healthy d line and lbs playing. It will look totally different. It will be like where the hell was this team the whole year. I'm not blaming injuries because I think every week regardless the next player has to step in and perform no matter what. I'm just saying. I know flower is IR and dunbar is a who freaking knows when he will play.

We got this. Not a fan of the whole process. But watch. Rams are not that good Huskey. Their dline is monstrous, but their team as whole is not that great. Cards just proved that again. When we play them it will come down to the end, but the hawks are the best team in the west. Maybe not NFC. We will see.

Why do you think the approach on offense got so conservative? (or do you even think that, i suppose.) A reaction to Russ getting hit? his mistakes? Or some concern about the other teams?

Or is the team really being that outcoached on that side of the ball this severely? Im scratching my head as to how a top 2 offense has struggled this bad recently. I get a reduction to the mean (an argument had about the defense over the last 4 weeks). but this is far more severe.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1dbsgc7s said:
jamescasey1124":1dbsgc7s said:
I am concerned to and have been since week one. Whether it was poor defense...first five weeks...or now poor offense...last several weeks....we will pull together.

TwistedHusky is right. Game planning is the number one concern. Week in and week out we are backwards playing. The game plan this week was to focus on defense and just let russ score a few. They focused to much on d and didnt put in the effort on offense. Now next week we will stress offense and the defense will allow the jets to score a few. Which they should. Just took the raiders to the very last seconds. But we will make it look easy somehow. And everyone will be mad at the defense again for allowing the lowly jets put points on us.

The question is will the hawks put together a whole team effort for a whole game or will they be more concerned with controlling a game by time and winning in the 4th quarter.

I swear...the way they play is take a week off or two to prepare for teams ahead. Not teams we play this week. Watch, when they allow carson to carry the load and we have flowers, dunbar, griffin, healthy d line and lbs playing. It will look totally different. It will be like where the hell was this team the whole year. I'm not blaming injuries because I think every week regardless the next player has to step in and perform no matter what. I'm just saying. I know flower is IR and dunbar is a who freaking knows when he will play.

We got this. Not a fan of the whole process. But watch. Rams are not that good Huskey. Their dline is monstrous, but their team as whole is not that great. Cards just proved that again. When we play them it will come down to the end, but the hawks are the best team in the west. Maybe not NFC. We will see.

Why do you think the approach on offense got so conservative? A reaction to Russ getting hit? his mistakes? Or some concern about the other teams?

Or is the team really being that outcoached on that side of the ball this severely? Im scratching my head as to how a top 2 offense has struggled this bad recently. I get a reduction to the mean (an argument had about the defense over the last 4 weeks). but this is far more severe.

It's both. They have gotten comfortable with running an offense completely separate of a fierce running game. Carson doesnt carry the load. That could be because they are still concerned with losing him before the playoffs. Whatever it is...they arent using Carson 100 percent. Just throwing him dump offs and random carries. I only know this because I watch every play hoping they use Carson more because he is on my fantasy team. They havent put the offense on his back which used to be the norm. Now teams know what we do in 3 and 4 reciever sets. We arent going to hand the ball off so it's gotta be a pass. Honestly, it's really easy for other teams to game plan against. Put all guys in heavy coverage.

Coaching because they seem to be content with mediocre offense and using scripted plays even when it isnt working. The staff needs to be willing to risk it all by trying something different even if it means a turnover. If the coaches show they are willing to give it all...then the players will follow suit. Until then...we wont see a change. Just a bunch of preplanned play calls which may work or not. The coaches have to be more open to change.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think we got conservative because we didn't want to take risks. We didn't think we would need to score that much this week, with the opposing offense being a group of cast-offs.

So the whole focus was just, lets run some plays, run some clock, and then get out of here with our guys healthy.

We went into this game just looking to go home afterward. It was pretty clear.

We thought we would get a few big throws for highlights, but for the most part, it looked like this team put less effort into the preparation. We also, forced a gameplan (again), that had little to do with the personnel we fielded. Our entire right side of the line was a group of nobodies - but here we were running into the teeth of it.

We didn't focus on winning this game, we were home. We expected a low-scoring game so we focused on scoring a few, winning a close game, and ending this. We never figured we would need to score in bunches at the end and had no plan in place to do so by then. Carroll clearly expected to win this thing by a TD or FG. It showed.

But to answer your question Si, yes we are outcoached regularly. Wilson masks some of it, and guys like Lockett or Metcalf can offset it. But this is not a Top 15 coaching staff at all.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2zvwiqjq said:
Uncle Si":2zvwiqjq said:
jamescasey1124":2zvwiqjq said:

Why do you think the approach on offense got so conservative? A reaction to Russ getting hit? his mistakes? Or some concern about the other teams?

It's both. They have gotten comfortable with running an offense completely separate of a fierce running game. Carson doesnt carry the load. That could be because they are still concerned with losing him before the playoffs. Whatever it is...they arent using Carson 100 percent. Just throwing him dump offs and random carries. I only know this because I watch every play hoping they use Carson more because he is on my fantasy team. They havent put the offense on his back which used to be the norm. Now teams know what we do in 3 and 4 reciever sets. We arent going to hand the ball off so it's gotta be a pass. Honestly, it's really easy for other teams to game plan against. Put all guys in heavy coverage.

Coaching because they seem to be content with mediocre offense and using scripted plays even when it isnt working. The staff needs to be willing to risk it all by trying something different even if it means a turnover. If the coaches show they are willing to give it all...then the players will follow suit. Until then...we wont see a change. Just a bunch of preplanned play calls which may work or not. The coaches have to be more open to change.

It's a frustrating divergence from what we had seen the first 5-6 weeks. I was especially annoyed at the lack of ingenuity on the 3rd and 2 in the first half, followed by the completely unnecessary roll out on 4th and inches the very next drive. It seems they are either over thinking it. Or, as you mentioned, defaulting to script.

If this is some chess match to make the team better for the playoffs, so be it. Hopefully see some return to form next week.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Uncle Si":lj5w5vwi said:
jamescasey1124":lj5w5vwi said:
Uncle Si":lj5w5vwi said:
jamescasey1124":lj5w5vwi said:

It's a frustrating divergence from what we had seen the first 5-6 weeks. I was especially annoyed at the lack of ingenuity on the 3rd and 2 in the first half, followed by the completely unnecessary roll out on 4th and inches the very next drive. It seems they are either over thinking it. Or, as you mentioned, defaulting to script.

If this is some chess match to make the team better for the playoffs, so be it. Hopefully see some return to form next week.

Exactly. It's a chess match every game/every play and we turn to what we know instead of what could actually work. For whatever reason. I can't wait til we put the first 5 weeks offense on the field with how the d has been playing recently. I've been waiting the whole year knowing it is a possibility.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":pm2wcxwj said:
So the whole focus was just, lets run some plays, run some clock, and then get out of here with our guys healthy.

Couldnt have said it better. It is the reason they lost yesterday.

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":30n5xued said:
TwistedHusky":30n5xued said:

Couldnt have said it better. It is the reason they lost yesterday.

Completely agree - was very worried end of first half when things had crumbled our way (they never do, right? but they did!) - a clean pick, a block punt, almost recovery in EZ, etc - and we put up ... 5.

I asked a similar question - sometimes playing at home (even though statistically better odds) - does it make you just want to go home ? But waking up in a hotel makes you want to get fired up and take it to them?

Also Schotty in the booth right in the beginning of the game, hoodie on, looked SO comfortable. I think we completely dismissed a QB less opponent, even though we and everyone else knew they had a very respectable defense.