If you're the Dallas Clownboys, how do you stick with Dak?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
First it was Romo way back when, now it's Dak. Now I'm not a Cowboys fan, but as an NFL fan, I'm forced to know a lot about the Cowboys because of the insane amount of national coverage they get. It just seems to me, since Aikman, they've literally been "a QB away from glory".

Seemed obvious Romo was never gonna be the guy, always good, but no steam to take it into the playoffs. You have the same situation with Dak, he just is never gonna be the guy to get them to the next level.

If you're the Dallas front office or coaching staff, I don't see how you're not looking for a new QB. Dak is a backup on a good team. The one thing I don't know is the financial angle of the situation.

I just don't see how you go forward with that guy another year. It just ain't happening with him under center.

Honestly I think at this point, with an equal team, I'd trust Geno to run the offense more than a guy like Dak Prescott.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Jerry should go give draft picks to Green Bay for Aaron Rodgers.
A good coach might be able to make a salvage project of Carr, maybe a few others in the league.

I think the best possible guy to grab up is Jimmy G. Yeah no one loves the guy, but he was playing top level before he got hurt. I think the 49ers are making a big mistake trusting Purdy to take over.

I hate to say it, but if I had a choice of Rogers or Brady I'd take Brady. But they're both too old. If you really wanna throw everything at a one year run, then fine. But long term you want someone with some serviceable life left.

I also think the NFL, being such a fickle league often gives up too early on a great many QB prospects, that could have their careers revived by the right coaches in the right situations

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Looking at Jerry's post game interview, I don't think he's going to see another championship. I have nothing against Jones and I take no joy in saying that. He doesn't look good at all.

morgulon1

Reaction score
A good coach might be able to make a salvage project of Carr, maybe a few others in the league.

I think the best possible guy to grab up is Jimmy G. Yeah no one loves the guy, but he was playing top level before he got hurt. I think the 49ers are making a big mistake trusting Purdy to take over.

I hate to say it, but if I had a choice of Rogers or Brady I'd take Brady. But they're both too old. If you really wanna throw everything at a one year run, then fine. But long term you want someone with some serviceable life left.

I also think the NFL, being such a fickle league often gives up too early on a great many QB prospects, that could have their careers revived by the right coaches in the right situations
Do you think this is Seattle's new way of conducting business? They have Geno
and Drew Lock on deck . I know Lock is a FA as well but I'm sure he'd sign again
If they can't get #7 to come back.
Look at all the dysfunctional teams that draft a QB early in the draft and give up on them after a couple of years.
Pete Carroll is the Caesar Milan for QBs.
He rehabilitates them .

KinesProf

Reaction score
I'm not sure how they can't stick with Dak. That contract doesn't really have an easy out.

They should probably go get a better offensive play caller and upgrade the weapons beyond Lamb and Pollard (who they should try very hard to keep).

calinator

Reaction score
Saying Dak is a backup on a good team is a bit of a stretch. There are not 32 QB's in the league better than him. He's a middle of the road starter at this point. It's easy to look great against that TB defense and also easy to look like trash against that amazing 49'ers pass rush, granted he absolutely did not play a good game especially turning the ball over.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Saying Dak is a backup on a good team is a bit of a stretch. There are not 32 QB's in the league better than him. He's a middle of the road starter at this point. It's easy to look great against that TB defense and also easy to look like trash against that amazing 49'ers pass rush, granted he absolutely did not play a good game especially turning the ball over.
Prescott is a middle of the road dude. JAG. Dallas's problem is they signed him to a long term deal 100 + million.

Reminds me of Tony Romo, pretty decent but never could get it done when
Everything is on the line.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Dak is not the problem.

The first problem is the OC.

How was Kellen Moore promoted to QB coach and then at 2018 he became OC? He had no experience coaching at all.

First solution is to get an real OC.

After that Zeke, has to be gone. RB's can be found undrafted or in the late round and Zek's production is not great.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's a good QB, just not clutch. And we have seen this over and over again. He was VERY good in the Wild Card round. Total crap the following week. He basically handed that game to the Niners.

flv2

Reaction score
Dak isn’t going anywhere. Dead cap hit of $90 million if released in 2023

Prescott's $31M salary is guaranteed for 2023. The Cowboys could trade him and the new team would be responsible for the $31M, but the remaining $39.94M of dead money would accelerate into the Cowboys 2023 cap. It's doable if the trade offer is good enough or if the Cowboys had a better option at QB. Realistically it won't happen because Prescott, even with some flaws, is a top 16 QB, and maybe even top 10.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Prescott's $31M salary is guaranteed for 2023. The Cowboys could trade him and the new team would be responsible for the $31M, but the remaining $39.94M of dead money would accelerate into the Cowboys 2023 cap. It's doable if the trade offer is good enough or if the Cowboys had a better option at QB. Realistically it won't happen because Prescott, even with some flaws, is a top 16 QB, and maybe even top 10.
Darn right it’s not going to happen going into 2023 the Cowboys are already $5 million over the cap with only 49 players under contract. Factoring $10 million to sign the draft choices they will have to clear $15 million to get to the cap limit

morgulon1

Reaction score
He's a good QB, just not clutch. And we have seen this over and over again. He was VERY good in the Wild Card round. Total crap the following week. He basically handed that game to the Niners.
Yep. Dallas defense gave him opportunity after opportunity and he squandered . Reminds me of Mr limited .