If I'm Pete Carroll...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":3na6ma15 said:
Sgt. Largent":3na6ma15 said:
We were nowhere near the intensity level of the Rams last night. They came out fired up and kicked our ass all over the field on both sides of the ball, and the stats prove me right.

If Bradford plays, we lose by double digits.
Did their run game gash us numerous times throughout the night? Yes. Did their bookends rape our backup offensive tackles? Yes. Your right, that's pretty intense. I'm pretty sure though I saw the L.O.B flying around smacking everything in a dark colored jersey. The defense gave up a few chunks of yardage in pass coverage. They started to bend during the Rams final drive, but they did not break. Was it compete game by us? No. Far from it. But to say "They came out fired up and kicked our ass all over the field on both sides of the ball" is a bit extreme.

When your #2 ranked D allows a backup QB to march 98 yards on a final drive and allows 180 rushing yards to one of the worst run offenses in the league? That to me is getting your asses kicked.

Luckily we have enough talent on D to overcome flat performances like last night. But that doesn't change the fact that our D should have played like the Rams D with how bad their offense is. Not the other way around.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Percy Harvin is a game changing wide out. If you can't see how his presence will open up everything for everyone... well, sorry for you I guess. They went after him exactly for this reason. Our receivers need help. Percy provides that help. Period. Be patient.

Oh, there are couple guys named Okung and Giacomini coming back also.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2g28np36 said:
bigdaddydave":2g28np36 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2g28np36 said:
So we're going to mortgage virtually our entire 2014 draft on two receivers who don't know our scheme or playbook... and expect them to perform right off the bat?

Mortgage a 2014 draft where most of the drafted players won't make the team... Or mortgage a 2013 SuperBowl run because we have lack a #1 WR...

How do you know most of the players won't make the team? We're going to have to pay Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Michael Bennett in the off-season. There are going to be some high profile cuts. And the only way to stay ahead of the eight ball is to replace those veterans who are cut with draft picks.

And as I said, you can't expect young receivers to just change teams and produce. They need time to learn the playbook, learn the routes, get an understanding with the quarterback. It's not as simple as plug in and play.

One other point -- Gordon is one strike away from a possible life ban. Blackmon has been a pain in the arse for Jacksonville so far and served a four game suspension this year. Not exactly the kind of guys you rush out to get.

Blackmon was also slow to get the playbook from reports. He might not be able to help all year. Fortunately, it's not like we have complicated route trees.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":1fnwul63 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1fnwul63 said:
bigdaddydave":1fnwul63 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1fnwul63 said:
So we're going to mortgage virtually our entire 2014 draft on two receivers who don't know our scheme or playbook... and expect them to perform right off the bat?

Mortgage a 2014 draft where most of the drafted players won't make the team... Or mortgage a 2013 SuperBowl run because we have lack a #1 WR...

How do you know most of the players won't make the team? We're going to have to pay Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Michael Bennett in the off-season. There are going to be some high profile cuts. And the only way to stay ahead of the eight ball is to replace those veterans who are cut with draft picks.

And as I said, you can't expect young receivers to just change teams and produce. They need time to learn the playbook, learn the routes, get an understanding with the quarterback. It's not as simple as plug in and play.

One other point -- Gordon is one strike away from a possible life ban. Blackmon has been a pain in the arse for Jacksonville so far and served a four game suspension this year. Not exactly the kind of guys you rush out to get.

How many players made the team from this years draft and are playing? Also, Pete & John aren't known to be the best drafters of Receiver talent... Sidney & Zach are going to be cut/asked to take a massive pay cut to stay on the team next year.

Did you even read my reply?

I'll post it again:

Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Michael Bennett in the off-season. There are going to be some high profile cuts. And the only way to stay ahead of the eight ball is to replace those veterans who are cut with draft picks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":35yomw5j said:
The first call I make this morning is to the Cleveland Browns to tell them to buy Josh Gordon a one way ticket to Seattle.

Second call I make is to Uncle Guss telling him to pack Blackmon's bags and get him on the plane.

8 man stacked boxes are what we can expect for the rest of the season with our receiving crew. We need a #1 receiver and it's going to cost us a chance at the SuperBowl if we don't get one.

Yes... I know we have Percy coming but we still need a BIG, TALL #1 WR that Russ can just throw the ball up to.

This is our best shot as a SuperBowl we've ever had. We need to do EVERYTHING possible to win this year because NEXT year is NOT guaranteed.

Do Gordon or Blackmon play on OL? Didn't think so. Then they aren't a solution to the Seahawks biggest problem.

ceej22

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":ddmxlnaq said:
theENGLISHseahawk":ddmxlnaq said:

Your not just mortgaging the 2014 draft. You are investing big money into WRs and will then have to send Sherman and Thomas packing in a couple years. Your mortgaging your entire future. Why do you think the 2014 class will have trouble making the team? There are a handful of players that will be cut or let go in FA next year to save cap space. 2014 is really a must hit draft. Have to hit good on OL and WR.

47degreesn

Reaction score
We have everything we need to win a Superbowl, right here in Seattle.
This team is good enough.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I'm not the least bit concerned about guys stacking with 8. It is a one game shot for a team desperate to keep the points down. It worked because no team expects that the entire game. In addition, the Rams had the staff to at least try it and had the perfect mismatch of young OLine players too. It almost worked.

Teams have plays to counter it, including the Seahawks, they just didn't execute and that is why the drives stalled. In only takes a few quick hitters for decent yardage to beat it. The Hawks knew if they just took care of the ball that the defense would make a play and as it turns out, they made BARELY enough.

Not gonna happen again. Anyone think another defense is going to try that again with Percy Harvin as the hot read? BIG mistake.

OP
OP
bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Anyone thinkings differently now that Sidney Rice is gone and Percy had a setback?

How come we didn't go after more receivers this year with our already thin wr corp.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Anyoone who wouldn't trade a few picks for Josh Gordon is out of their mind.

What are you saving picks for? Fun? More DE or OL that are injury prone?

Let's win this year. Josh Gordon would have been a game changer with Harvin returning as well.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":33b88rr2 said:
Anyone thinkings differently now that Sidney Rice is gone and Percy had a setback?

How come we didn't go after more receivers this year with our already thin wr corp.

No.

Rice being gone hurts, but at this point in the season, it's better to promote a guy who already knows the offense rather than bring in a guy who has to learn everything and develop chemistry with the other players.

And I don't recall hearing Harvin had a "setback." I heard that his hip was sore after his first practices post-surgery. As should be expected.

OP
OP
bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":8le0k8ke said:

Still think we don't need some WR talent? How much would Josh Gordon be helping RW right now?

Giving a 2nd round draft pick for Josh Gordon in order to have substantially better chances of winning a SuperBowl? Especially when we like to spend our 2nd round picks on running backs who don't see the field...

olyfan63

Reaction score
As mediocre as Rice was, especially compared to his paycheck, he is a legit #1.5/#2 NFL receiver, and a big catch radius target, a type we no longer have. Rice hasn't been playing like the true #1 receiver he is paid to be, but even at 1.5 or 2, he helps our offense a lot. With Rice playing, he probably makes the difference against SF and definitely against AZ. Teams usually put their #1 corner on Rice, e.g., Patrick Petersen. With no Rice, it shifts all our WR matchups, and our guys are not getting open and don't provide the type of target Rice does against smaller corners.

Harvin doesn't solve this problem for us when he returns, but he causes other problems for the defense, so the net effect is greater than getting Rice back.

We do miss Rice. The AZ loss is a W with Rice playing.

Christine Michael might be done redshirting and see the field more now. We'll see... It's hard to second-guess that pick.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
:13: to English seahawk

The team will be losing some good players after this season, and the draft will be very important to continue success. Also if they loose Bennett I will be upset because he is more important than CC. Love Clemons but keeping Avril and Bennett trumps.

That being said the O'line was not as horrible as some have made them to be yesterday. Russell had time to throw. Could they improve and get more quality guards, big YES, but a lack of a number one WR right now is huge for this offense. The money tied up in offensive weapons like Sidney and Percy with neither one playing hampers the offense a great deal.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
8 (maybe more) different player rotations on the offensive line are an issue.

How can Wilson trust that the guys in front of him are going to work as a single unit, when players keep getting swapped in and out, due to performance and/or injuries. The most consistent players on the line are Okung and Unger/LJP, one of these guys is a back up center. That's saying a lot. Everyone else is getting rotate in and out, there's no cohesion, and the line isn't working like a well oiled machine.

They need to find 5 guys that work together, and keep them on the field. I don't care where they find the guys, if they have the guys better, but they need to get something in place long term.

hawker84

Reaction score
Crizilla":2c9v5y2k said:
Our receivers are fine. We need better tight end play. I wish we could get Gonzalez

What? Our only TD was to a tight end... Our TE's are just fine.. We need offensive linemen...

Latest posts