If Fans ran the team.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Which just adds to the irony of telling others to grow up
Comprehension you and Sports lack huh?

People think(they for sure can) attack people and get personal(which sports did) first and expect no rebuttal. (I am not above that)

Then i talk about sports and I bring facts about wins above expected rate(those are real stats) and i get told i should take a nap,etc. Who started the non baseball takes? If u want to be honest, you know it was sports.

So, yea "ima put you on ignore" is childish. So ya grow up.

cymatica

Reaction score
There is no question that fans can't do a better job. But can other GM's or qualified people do a better job? Seeing as we've been to the playoffs once in the last 20 years, I would answer yes.
It's funny hearing people try and dismiss fans observations by claiming they can't do better than a paid professional. May as well tell someone to stick with the same mechanic that keeps installing their brakes incorrectly

Msfann

Reaction score
46 years in a row this team has failed to win a championship. No fan could do ANY worse. You could grab a random meth head and make him the GM or team president and at the end of the year the meth head will be just as successful as dipoto and his band of idiots with another year failed.

This team has never in its entire history been serious about winning a ring. Lou found that out when they refused to help him then ran him out of town and nothing has changed since then. They never go all the way or make a real push to win, its always half assed bullshit.

The Mariners are a business and winning is priority #343434. #1 is making money and they are doing that being losers. They are the Washington generals of baseball.
The team makes money so the owners aren't going to sell to someone better who wants to win.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
For the folks who are saying the M's don't spend money...that is incorrect. They spend money but on the wrong guys. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/
Tampa Bay has a lower payroll than the M's but they have the best record in MLB. Spending wisely is the Mariners issue. This is where DiPoto has been abysmal.

Threedee

Reaction score
For the folks who are saying the M's don't spend money...that is incorrect. They spend money but on the wrong guys. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/
Tampa Bay has a lower payroll than the M's but they have the best record in MLB. Spending wisely is the Mariners issue. This is where DiPoto has been abysmal.
The M's will randomly lash out in fits of spendiness, as with the curious case of the Robinson Cano deal. Strategically, though, they don't have a record of offering intelligent lucrative contracts.

TIMD

Reaction score
His ridiculous trades have been abysmal. They are either a total wash or he gets fleeced (Smyly, Trumbo, Graveman, Peralta, Lopez) immediately come to mind). Just making trades to make trades: Trumbo for Clevenger & Graveman for TORO were completely asinine. His magical FA dumpster dives are terrible too. He has an obsession with light hitting guys.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
His ridiculous trades have been abysmal. They are either a total wash or he gets fleeced (Smyly, Trumbo, Graveman, Peralta, Lopez) immediately come to mind). Just making trades to make trades: Trumbo for Clevenger & Graveman for TORO were completely asinine. His magical FA dumpster dives are terrible too. He has an obsession with light hitting guys.
No GM was touching Tommy La Stella or AJ Pollock. Yet DiPoto thought they were worth signing.

He also got rid of Nelson Cruz after he had hit .256, 37 HRs, and 97 RBI (2018 season). Cruz was the perfect DH. He's looking for that type of production since. Once Cruz went to the Twins he batted .311, 4! HRs, 108 RBIs. Unfortunately, Cruz is not to that standard currently but he was a solid DH at the time DiPoto kicked him to the curb.

Last edited:

TIMD

Reaction score
No GM was touching Tommy La Stella or AJ Pollock. Yet DiPoto thought they were worth signing.

He also got rid of Nelson Cruz after he had hit .256, 37 HRs, and 97 RBI (2018 season). Cruz was the perfect DH. He's looking for that type of production since. Once Cruze went to the Twins he batted .311, 4! HRs, 108 RBIs. Unfortunately, Cruz is not to that standard currently but he was a solid DH at the time DiPoto kicked him to the curb.
I kinda forgot about Cruz walking. I distinctly remember DiBozo the 🤡 immediately dumping Trumbo for nothing because of some personal beef back from the days in Anaheim, I think Trumbo stole his girlfriend or something, DiBozo traded him twice. Those trades Freddy Peralta for Adam Lind & Dee Gordon for Pablo Lopez are killers. He trades just to trade & gets beat more often than not. He definitely can't sign a decent free agent position player that can actually hit over .200

Threedee

Reaction score
I do accept the basic premise of professional GMs being better suited to the job than "the fans." That being said, I really resented Woody Woodpecker and Bill Bavasi (Pat Gillick was nice, though) that all I could muster for Jack Zduriencik was disappointment. As for DiPoto, I guess I have... hope? Which is being rapidly shattered.

Crizilla

Reaction score
The Rockies who are last place and ain't going anywhere this year have 120 more hits than the Mariners. The M's are tied with MIL for dead last in number of hits. I would fire the Director of Hitting Strategy... He's 28 years old, been with them for a few years now. No big league experience whatsoever as player or coach prior. You rarely see a young buck out of college run a major league line up. How the hell he got the job, we may never know. If Scott and his staff are super close and want each other that bad then get rid of Scott and the staff then. Bring in a whole new crew.

It doesn't matter if we trade for a bat at this point. We need better coaches and a new philosophy. That's the truth fans might not want to hear but it's the truth.

Last edited:

Vesuve

Reaction score
We have long coveted Kolten's well-balanced, all-around game,” Mariners president of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto said in a statement. “He also brings veteran leadership and a winning pedigree that will make a difference for us both on and off the field.”