I think Russ lost his nerve in the end.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
...and the delay of game penalties. It could be as simple as him trying to read the D but Hackett called TO before another Delay penalty.
that's one of the stories of the game. bronco's offense looked out of sorts. 3 false starts, 2 poor handoffs at the endzone that both resulted in fumbles by the halfback. also atleast 2 delays of game, and as you stated, had to use that TO at the end or be pushed back another 5 yards.

but i thought "the separation is in the preparation"?

The brand

he sure as hell didn't look too prepared 🤩

...and when he tried to quiet the crowd thinking Lumen was a home game.

really? lmao if that's true. do you by chance have a timestamp?

toffee

Reaction score
Whatever the reasoning, RCW had every chance to run the play but chose to pull himself out of the game. He just went to the bench and sat by himself.
only by himself? or surrounded by teammates?

hawker84

Reaction score
What is your guess then? You obviously watched the sequence as did we all. What do you think happened?

I'm as baffled as anyone why they did what they did, I have no viable explanation, But this whole, Wilson's skills have declined, he can no longer read defenses, our defense and coaching has carried him all these years, he's lost his confidence crap is just nonsense. He's still a top QB in this league, and any player/coach will tell you the same.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
On the last play, Hackett sent the play in. Russ got his guys lined up, and then stalled. Again... the play was in. The coaches mic is turned off at 15 seconds. Its not like they lined up and tried to get us to jump. What happened in that 15 seconds seems like it was Russ's call. Maybe he just didn't like the matchup, but I honestly wonder whether in the moment, Russ chose losing on his kickers leg rather than a failed 4th down play that would be entirely on him, and become the central image of the early debate in who won the trade. The dude is all about legacy. Him playing 'well' but the kicker missing is one thing. Russ coming up short on his own arm, after all the drama that he himself pumped into the game... that would have hurt.

Save the brand.
Watching RW walk to the bench after the timeout, he looked very nervous. He didn't look his usual confident person.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm as baffled as anyone why they did what they did, I have no viable explanation, But this whole, Wilson's skills have declined, he can no longer read defenses, our defense and coaching has carried him all these years, he's lost his confidence crap is just nonsense. He's still a top QB in this league, and any player/coach will tell you the same.
He is really?You will see what you wish to and the rest of us will see for what he is.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Why is revisionist history so prevalent on here? In what world is this "on the back shoulder of the receiver?". This is literally a perfectly lead, at the numbers thrown ball.

The reason for the interception has been solved, concretely, by players on the field. Per Brandon Browners own words, he knew the exact play call coming because PC's offense is as telegraphed as can be, and Browner knew the system. Browner briefed the DBs, DB crashed, Lockette was less-experience as a receiver and didn't box out properly.
"Back shoulder of the receiver!?" Get outta here with that sh##
The ball that >WILSON THREW<was in there for EITHER of the players could have gotten it, IN OTHER WORDS, >>>WILSON<<<ERRANTLY THREW IT UP FOR GRABS, it was >>WILSONS FAULT<<, so it's YOU who needs to "Get Outta Here With That Sh##"

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Sorry but this is just wishful thinking. That play was doomed from the start. It was obvious the receivers weren't on the same page from the get-go. The only error Russ made was not taking a time-out the very moment it was obviously not communicated well.

The coach sat there watching it as well and ultimately it's on him.

Ya'll are so anxious to be validated about Russ not being good enough that you're not really looking at any of this stuff very objectively.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
The ball that >WILSON THREW<was in there for EITHER of the players could have gotten it, IN OTHER WORDS, >>>WILSON<<<ERRANTLY THREW IT UP FOR GRABS, it was >>WILSONS FAULT<<, so it's YOU who needs to "Get Outta Here With That Sh##"
What’s up with the hieroglyphs? I’m not going to disagree that Wilson should not have thrown it. The main point of my post was to disprove that the ball placement was somehow terrible. It was not.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Leaving ‘The Brand’ aside for a minute, according to GMFB this morning, the Broncos kicker was 0 for 5 in kicks over 61 yards prior to the game and his 61 yard best was achieved at Mile High. So for the plan to be to get in position for a 64 yard attempt makes little or no sense.
Fair enough, but he was inches away from making the final kick. He must have demonstrated in pregame practice that he was capable of pushing it in from that distance. And he had the distance, he just didn't have the correct windage.

Not saying it was the correct call, I just think it's not quite as nuts as most people think it was.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, the Hawks won so it clearly was "lucky"

That kicker has a hell of a leg. It's more shocking they didn't even attempt to get 10 more yards to make it much more makeable. Defense made a TON of plays. And if they don't drop two picks and DJ doesn't somehow miss that blocked punt, game could have been more like a 7-10 point win. The way it played out was perfect imo. Total nail biter, with both teams leaving some opportunities on the field.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Sorry but this is just wishful thinking. That play was doomed from the start. It was obvious the receivers weren't on the same page from the get-go. The only error Russ made was not taking a time-out the very moment it was obviously not communicated well.

The coach sat there watching it as well and ultimately it's on him.

Ya'll are so anxious to be validated about Russ not being good enough that you're not really looking at any of this stuff very objectively.
Sure. We're all looking at this very subjectively. But that doesn't mean we're wrong.

BlueTalon

Reaction score

russ choked. 4th and 5. fate was in his hands. but he froze. and after that timeout, even the coach decided a 65 yard field goal would be easier than picking up 5 measly yards with a rattled wilson. not a good look for "The Brand"

... and as Keasley45 stated last week: "The truth is, he was incredible at playing HIS game, and struggled mightily at times playing THE game."

Watching Peyton Manning in the video is just hilarious!

BlueTalon

Reaction score

russ choked. 4th and 5. fate was in his hands. but he froze. and after that timeout, even the coach decided a 65 yard field goal would be easier than picking up 5 measly yards with a rattled wilson. not a good look for "The Brand"

... and as Keasley45 stated last week: "The truth is, he was incredible at playing HIS game, and struggled mightily at times playing THE game."

Reading the responses on that tweet video, I about died laughing/coughing when I saw this:

"russ is a great qb he just needs better accuracy, field awareness, speed, decision making, arm strength, and arm talent to be at the level of a quarterback like carson wentz"

Rainger

Reaction score
Yes it was, look at where it landed on the receiver NOT where it was when he threw it.

The defender took it over the LEFT shoulder of the receiver not his right. The ball was behind.

It is true that Browner diagnosed the play and told Butler what to expect and blew up the block. But RW could have lead the receiver, NO INT, or pulled and ran to the right.

Still had time for a time out or incomplete or another run.

Last edited:

uncle fester

Reaction score
Fair enough, but he was inches away from making the final kick. He must have demonstrated in pregame practice that he was capable of pushing it in from that distance. And he had the distance, he just didn't have the correct windage.

Not saying it was the correct call, I just think it's not quite as nuts as most people think it was.
In hindsight, I’d agree - I thought he’d made the kick as it left his boot and thought Pete icing him would help him correct the second attempt. But in that moment, prior to the actual play? That’s some call by the coaches, based on his previous record. ‘Game of inches’ and all that, I suppose.

Latest posts