I think Russ lost his nerve in the end.

keasley45

Reaction score
On the last play, Hackett sent the play in. Russ got his guys lined up, and then stalled. Again... the play was in. The coaches mic is turned off at 15 seconds. Its not like they lined up and tried to get us to jump. What happened in that 15 seconds seems like it was Russ's call. Maybe he just didn't like the matchup, but I honestly wonder whether in the moment, Russ chose losing on his kickers leg rather than a failed 4th down play that would be entirely on him, and become the central image of the early debate in who won the trade. The dude is all about legacy. Him playing 'well' but the kicker missing is one thing. Russ coming up short on his own arm, after all the drama that he himself pumped into the game... that would have hurt.

Save the brand.

toffee

Reaction score
On the last play, Hackett sent the play in. Russ got his guys lined up, and then stalled. Again... the play was in. The coaches mic is turned off at 15 seconds. Its not like they lined up and tried to get us to jump. What happened in that 15 seconds seems like it was Russ's call. Maybe he just didn't like the matchup, but I honestly wonder whether in the moment, Russ chose losing on his kickers leg rather than a failed 4th down play that would be entirely on him, and become the central image of the early debate in who won the trade. The dude is all about legacy. Him playing 'well' but the kicker missing is one thing. Russ coming up short on his own arm, after all the drama that he himself pumped into the game... that would have hurt.

Save the brand.
hahaha so in the end, Russ won this game for us :)

Rainger

Reaction score
hahaha so in the end, Russ won this game for us :)
And lost SB 49 with a pass on the back shoulder of the receiver. Which he and his team and media immediately blamed on PC on play call but watch and re watch the game. Russ lost that game plane and simple. The D knew that which is why they bailed on the team and are all now back that RW is no longer here.

Seahawker

Reaction score

Save the brand.
I don't think you're wrong 45.

toffee

Reaction score
And lost SB 49 with a pass on the back shoulder of the receiver. Which he and his team and media immediately blamed on PC on play call but watch and re watch the game. Russ lost that game plane and simple. The D knew that which is why they bailed on the team and are all now back that RW is no longer here.
So true, and we may never know what was actually sent by the coaches in that last play of SB49. But regardless, it was a bad throw, and we lost.

Hawkpower

Reaction score

Save the brand.
I believe this
And I also think the coach is an idiot for not going for it with 20 seconds and 2 timeouts even with Russ' shenanigans

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Save the brand.
Funny how it all makes sense now, isn't it?

49 scarred him.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
Imo a great assessment of the situation..coach takes the blame. I think you are bang on. Russ wouldn't of made that play...

He might have, I just don't know that he had the courage to fail in that moment. He put too much on it.

Thing is, if you asked me to place a bet on his chances, I'd give him better than 50/50 odds. I just think for him, there's more at play now. There's been more at play since 2019.

Wish him well. Denver's issue now.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Russ in his post game interview right now... He said he was "locked in" and "completely on it". In other words the loss wasn't his fault... You're the QB bud, the loss is on you. You're lucky the 2 interceptions you threw were dropped too!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That was Wilson choking.

But it is going to taint his legacy for a long time unless he somehow does something in the playoffs.

Whatever brand he was building all this time, he set fire to tonight. This was as damaging a regular season game that has little impact to the standings can do to your legacy.

Missing a 4th down pass wouldn't have been unrecoverable. But refusing to compete? Being scared to go win it or potentially lose it?
That might be hard to recover from.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
Russ in his post game interview right now... He said he was "locked in" and "completely on it". In other words the loss wasn't his fault... You're the QB bud, the loss is on you. You're lucky the 2 interceptions you threw were dropped too!

Should have been 3. The first TD was a bad throw and an unfortunate botched defense by Bryant. A better CB turns to see that ball and makes a play on it.

chrispy

Reaction score
Russ went to a team where he has the authority to make those calls. Whether he chose the kick or not initially, he agreed and took the game out of his own hands. It seems odd to me but it's all right there in the open.

Then, in press conference, he openly blamed the fumbles at the goal line. No one will disagree, but it sure came across as selfish. ...completely opposite of Geno's interview.

BASF

Reaction score
Should have been 3. The first TD was a bad throw and an unfortunate botched defense by Bryant. A better CB turns to see that ball and makes a play on it.
I don't know if a better CB is the best way to frame that. Perhaps a better way to frame it is a more seasoned CB. This rookie has a lot of talent and will be a force for us in the years to come as he gains more experience.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Russ went to a team where he has the authority to make those calls. Whether he chose the kick or not initially, he agreed and took the game out of his own hands. It seems odd to me but it's all right there in the open.

Then, in press conference, he openly blamed the fumbles at the goal line. No one will disagree, but it sure came across as selfish. ...completely opposite of Geno's interview.
and completely what weve come to expect

seatownlowdown

Reaction score

russ choked. 4th and 5. fate was in his hands. but he froze. and after that timeout, even the coach decided a 65 yard field goal would be easier than picking up 5 measly yards with a rattled wilson. not a good look for "The Brand"

... and as Keasley45 stated last week: "The truth is, he was incredible at playing HIS game, and struggled mightily at times playing THE game."