Huskies vs Michigan For The Natty

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Yeah Penix was rattled today. He was also playing the #1 defense in the country.

It's too bad Huskies didn't get the win today. A disappointing result, but one I agree with. Michigan was the better team today. Washington wasn't sabotaged by bad officiating. It's amazing how much more confident I am in the results of these college games.

With the NFL, totally different. Can't help but feel $$$$ is flowing in and from the game, and integrity isn't what it should be.

Not so with college ball.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He actually grades out fairly well under pressure as a whole and is own for his picket manipulation.

Here are some quotes:

PFF

COMPOSURE UNDER PRESSURE

Although we rarely see Penix scramble after multiple ACL tears, he still ranks in the top 15 in pressure-to-sack ratio due to excellent pocket manipulation. It helps that he has a stout line in front of him, one that has been charged with only three sacks allowed through nine weeks.

Penix is lethal from a clean pocket and will carve up any secondary when he's given time to work. He isn’t quite as dominant when pressured, but he still has the 21st-ranked PFF grade in such situations. And when blitzed, Penix has made five big-time throws and only one turnover-worthy play on his way to a 79.8 PFF grade.

He grades out about the same as Daniels, Williams and Maye when pressured.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I don’t think Penix did anything to help his draft prospects. This reminded me of Williams in Notre Dame game.

A killer pass rush can upset any QB.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
I don’t think Penix did anything to help his draft prospects. This reminded me of Williams in Notre Dame game.

A killer pass rush can upset any QB.
The thing is...on the missed pass to Odunze it was a bad pass by Penix, and he was under little if any pressure at the time he made the throw. It's a pass he makes 95% of the time. There were two other drive killing passes he made tonight that were simply dropped by his receivers, I think both by Polk. Those weren't on him.

The offense just wasn't sharp tonight. Sometimes it can be as simple as that.

Chapow

Reaction score
I get that he's led successful game-winning drives before. I'm not saying that he's incapable of doing so. I'm just saying that he doesn't consistently operate well when he is being physically pressured by an opposing defense, mostly because his footwork is pretty questionable. His pocket navigation is substandard currently and his mechanics don't allow him to provide an especially deadly response to heavy pressure. If he's forced off of his spot consistently, his game falls apart a bit.

This isn't a new or groundbreaking evaluation. It's nearly consensus.

Recency bias is a helluva drug. "The consensus" was pretty much the polar opposite of what you're saying here after the Sugar Bowl against Texas, just 1 week ago.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Recency bias is a helluva drug. "The consensus" was pretty much the polar opposite of what you're saying here after the Sugar Bowl against Texas, just 1 week ago.
I mean, I'm speaking in a more general view of his scouting report as a professional prospect. "Navigates pressure well" isn't showing up in the "Pro" column of the majority of those reports.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
Yeah...

"Simply put, Michael Penix Jr. was sensational in the Sugar Bowl. He threw for 430 yards going 29 for 38 against the Longhorns and earned a 93.8 PFF passing grade, his highest of the season."

And this against heavy pressure brought by the best interior pass rush in the country.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The thing is...on the missed pass to Odunze it was a bad pass by Penix, and he was under little if any pressure at the time he made the throw. It's a pass he makes 95% of the time. There were two other drive killing passes he made tonight that were simply dropped by his receivers, I think both by Polk. Those weren't on him.

The offense just wasn't sharp tonight. Sometimes it can be as simple as that.
The pass rush can upset a QB even on plays where nobody gets to him. It just makes it harder for them to stay relaxed, stay in rhythm, maintain good footwork, etc. I have seen it many times.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
The pass rush can upset a QB even on plays where nobody gets to him. It just makes it harder for them to stay relaxed, stay in rhythm, maintain good footwork, etc. I have seen it many times.
Texas was after him all game long and he delivered. Huge stats. His best passer rating of the year.

Why can't people just say the Husky offense had a bad game at the wrong time. It happens. Shyt happens.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm not even close to the most down guy on Penix. I simply don't see NFL-level footwork and navigation from him. It's a big technical flaw of his. The hope was that he could overcome it and continue to whip it out when the chips are down, but that didn't happen today. It needs serious reworking.

Yes, it brings us back down to Earth in our evals, but it's new information that deserves a higher weight on it given the stakes. He's not worthless, but the same questions became bigger questions after tonight. All I'm saying.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Texas was after him all game long and he delivered. Huge stats. His best passer rating of the year.

Why can't people just say the Husky offense had a bad game at the wrong time. It happens. Shyt happens.
I watched that game. Michigan put more pressure on him today than Texas. They made Washington one dimensional, shutting down running to only 46 yards. Michigan ran for 300 yards.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
I watched that game. Michigan put more pressure on him today than Texas.
True. But the Husky offense delivered NADA EIGHT STRAIGHT TIMES! If the Husky offense was simply about as good as they always have been this year, that doesn't happen. They had a bad game. And they know it. Nobody knows it and feels it more than they do.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
True. But the Husky offense delivered NADA EIGHT STRAIGHT TIMES! If the Husky offense was simply about as good as they always have been this year, that doesn't happen. They had a bad game. And they know it. Nobody knows it and feels it more than they do.
They were bad for a reason. Michigan flat beat them.

OP
OP
N

NoGain

Reaction score
I'm not taking anything away from Michigan, I'm just saying those Husky players aren't thinking about how good Michigan was, they're thinking about how poorly they played, and how it could have been a different outcome had they played the way they knew they were capable of.

cymatica

Reaction score
Dropped passes, Penix was off, and the refs allowed huge holds on all of the big plays favoring Michigan while calling ticky tac holds on Washington on 2 big plays that would have changed the game. Michigan first play after Washington got called for a hold on a completed 3rd down, Michigan grabs the Washington end from behind and yanks his jersey right as McCarthy is going to get sacked, in which they complete a huge pass.

If you want to ignore blatant one sided officiating where only 1 team was allowed to get away with massive holds on game changing plays, then go ahead keep lying to yourself

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I watched that game. Michigan put more pressure on him today than Texas. They made Washington one dimensional, shutting down running to only 46 yards. Michigan ran for 300 yards.
This.

Everyone wants to say the offense and Penix just had a bad game. Can't ignore the defense that was better than anything they saw all year. The offense was out-physicalled across the board. Any ball carrier was gang tackled repeatedly. There was no ability to run an RB. Pressure was near constant so throwing deep was mostly not an option (Rosengarten alone may have had one of the worst RT performances seen recently). YAC was hard-earned. WRs were thrown off their routes and were dropping passes looking like they were hearing footsteps.

Did Penix handle it well and respond perfectly- of course not. That's what good defenses make you do. And Michigan's was just that good imo.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I'm not taking anything away from Michigan, I'm just saying those Husky players aren't thinking about how good Michigan was, they're thinking about how poorly they played, and how it could have been a different outcome had they played the way they knew they were capable of.
The Seahawks are not capable of playing as well against stronger teams than they are against weaker teams. Of course, that’s true. I don’t see how that thought is much consolation to the players or Hawks fans.

Latest posts