How will MLB handle Ohtani?

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I think they'll about face on this one because Ohtani makes them money. Pete was only a manager when they busted him. They crucified him to send a message. The fact they vacated his records is one of the reasons I stopped watching baseball.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I think they'll about face on this one because Ohtani makes them money. Pete was only a manager when they busted him. They crucified him to send a message. The fact they vacated his records is one of the reasons I stopped watching baseball.
Paul Giamatti has stated he thinks his father would have re-instated Rose if he had lived. I think Selig is a lot of the reason Rose remained banned. Selig did nothing to help baseball as commissioner, but took credit for anything that went right during his tenure while eschewing fault when bad things happened. He was a fence-sitting idiot, refusing to do anything for fear it would rock the boat.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The Feds are involved so MLB cannot just "cover it up"
and I'm not buying that he has nothing to do with it.
The amount of money going out doesn't move without
his ok.
He likes to gamble so if he gets a pass then Pete should
be allowed back with $$$ damages awarded.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Feds are involved so MLB cannot just "cover it up"
and I'm not buying that he has nothing to do with it.
The amount of money going out doesn't move without
his ok.
He likes to gamble so if he gets a pass then Pete should
be allowed back with $$$ damages awarded.
Yeah, let's see what they come up with then go from their report.

Having said that, there's no comparison with this situation and Pete Rose's. Even if he did gamble on baseball, Oh was not a member of MLB while Rose was. Additionally, Rose blatantly lied about his activities during the investigation and only admitted to the accusations when confronted with undeniable evidence.

I've always maintained that Rose should be admitted if and only if they posthumously admit Shoeless Joe Jackson, who was permanently banned despite there being no evidence of his participation in the Black Sox Scandal, to the contrary, there was substantial evidence that he did not, like setting a WS record with 12 hits and batting above his lifetime average during that series. If you want to talk about a travesty of justice, you have to put Jackson's plight way ahead that of Pete Rose.

Last edited: