Houston Astros @ Seattle Mariners May 26-30 (updated again)...

sutz

Reaction score
The hated Astros come to town for four. Lately, we've had their number, and they're off to a bad start this year. They have been on the upswing over the last week or so. Let's hope we can end that this week.

Probables:

Mon: Framber Valdez LHP (3-2, 4.32 ERA, 36K) vs Bryce Miller RHP (3-5, 3-53 ERA, 56K)

Tue: Hunter Brown RHP (1-5, 7.06 ERA, 44K) vs Luis Castillo RHP (4-6, 3.31 ERA, 69K)

Wed: Justin Verlander RHP (3-2, 3.60 ERA, 35K) vs George Kirby RHP (4-5, 4.33 ERA, 57K)

Thur: Spencer Arighetti RHP (2-5, 6.93 ERA, 43K) vs Logan Gilbert RHP (3-2, 3.06 ERA, 66K)

Last edited:
OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Off to a nice start. 3 runs in the first. Let's see if they can build on it.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Whew! Almost jinxed it. :LOL:

Pitching came through on this one. Couple of new kids on the block. Nice to see Clase back up. Looking forward to see what Bliss can do. He's been tearing it up in the minors, I guess.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Moore and Garver sit today. Both have .300+OBP the past 30 days believe it or not. Hopefully that doesn't hurt us today. Desperately need more men on base.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Striking out Jose Altuve is a rather brilliant way to come off the injured list, I must say.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Stanek still worries me a bit, but got it done. 2 Ks and a pop fly in the 9th. Too early in the season to run Munoz out 3 in a row.

Nice AB by Bliss, falling behind 0-2 and then drawing the walk in the 8th. Notice how we're getting this done without the long ball. Get 'em on, move 'em over, bring 'em home. Took a couple of lucky breaks, but hell, I'll take it. Beating a division opponent is worth 1.5 in the standings. :)

Another gutsy, gritty win. Still need to keep working on the offense, but got just enough tonight. Kudos to the pitchers to hold them to 2 runs.

On a less positive note, is Bliss's arm a question? Seems like I've seen a couple of double plays not turned through him. Maybe just that there's more speed up in the bigs than he used to down in the minors. No hits yet, but helluva an AB there to get on base. With Clase at 3rd and Bliss at 1st, that's a lot of speed out there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I get nervous with Stanek too, but he was dealing last night. Def. can't be putting Munoz out there every night.
Overall, the offense still annoys me to no end. But...........this year the team has a knack for late inning wins, so there is that. A win is a win. And anytime you get a win over the PUKEston CHEATstros, it's a good day.

bileever

Reaction score
Haniger and Rojas came up big in the 8th, but the small things like Bliss drawing a walk and his speed made a difference, too. Putrid offensive performance from the 2nd to the 7th innings. And what was Julio doing in the 1st? Ran us out of a potential big inning.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is one of those teams that starts slow, then gets hot when it counts.

I'm not worried about the offense. MLB Pitchers are dealing this year. BA is down across the league.

Hour 3-Are the Mariners poised to win the AL West? ESPN's Jeff Passan

With Brock returning from vacation, Salk fills him in on what he saw at the Seahawks practice last week before being joined by Jeff Passan, Senior MLB Insider at ESPN to discuss the last week of Mariners baseball and how it portends to the future of the division.

Hour 4-MLB's hitting problem, the difference Julio getting going makes, and Ranked

Reacting to Jeff Passan's commentary on how the baseball pendulum has swung so that pitcher's have the advantage and hitting is down across the board. Then, we hear about Brock and Justin's contrasting vacations and discuss what Julio getting going does for this M's lineup. Plus, Salk ranks the Mariners top 5 All Star candidates.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm plenty worried about the offense. I need some consistency. But they're winning and they're in 1st place. I'll take it.
but it needs to be MUCH better later in the season.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
If Julio can keep hitting RBI singles, I'm kind of OK that he hasn't hit many long balls. :)

bileever

Reaction score
I'm plenty worried about the offense. I need some consistency. But they're winning and they're in 1st place. I'll take it.
but it needs to be MUCH better later in the season.
But can it get better? I suppose it depends in large part on whether the two Mitches and Polanco can return to their previous form.

As much as I hated to lose Geno, that hasn't turned out to be too bad, letting him go:

Screen Shot 2024 05 29 at 120934 PM

I think we miss Teoscar Hernandez more. Here's a comparison of the corner outfielders we lost vs. the ones we have:

Screen Shot 2024 05 29 at 121122 PM

We were never going to outbid the Dodgers for Teoscar anyway, with him getting $23.5 million a year.

Steve Hawk

Reaction score
The Dodgers have a lot of big bats around Teoscar, he obviously didn't have that in Seattle.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Verlander's so hard to hit off of. Let's waste a pair of runners on Canzone and Garver.