HOF Eligible - Walter Jones, Shaun Alexander, Mike Holmgren

Tical21

Reaction score
Holmgren is in, as much for Young, Favre, Hasselbeck and Reid as his own record.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Big Walt better be a first ballot HOFer or else there is something very wrong with the voting process.

OreIdahawk

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":3fjsz8yh said:
When I think HOF, I think of players who were the best or very nearly the best at their position for at least 5+ years.

Sorry to revive an oldish thread but I had to put in my .02

Shaun Alexander averaged 1500 rushing yards and 20 total touchdowns for the 5 years that he was good. Can you think off the top of your head of anyone who has done that in a 5 year span? If thats not dominant for 5 years than I don't know what is. In that same time span he never scored less than 14 touchdowns.

How does a guy who broke the single season TD record, had 112 total touchdowns, and was an MVP not make the HOF? Why is Gale Sayers in the HOF if you're using the "he didn't play long enough" card? OJ Simpson had 40 less rushing and total touchdowns than Shaun. Barry Sanders played 10 full seasons and still had 3 less total TD's than Shaun. I'm not comparing Shaun to Sanders in any way i'm just saying that Shaun has numbers that rival the all time best runningbacks. I know yardage-wise Shaun isn't as impressive but the guy was a 1/3 of a season away from 10,000 career rushing yards. Besides, what is more important? Getting a lot of yards, or a lot of Touchdowns?

Only six running backs have scored more touchdowns than Shaun Alexander in the history of the NFL. I think he should be a HOFer because the numbers speak for themselves. He's not first ballot, but I think he should get in sometime. Although I kind of agree that he might not get in because he played for Seattle. Any other team and he'd be a HOFer for sure.