Here's the problem... Why it's so hard to be a Mariners fan...

olyfan63

Reaction score
OK, so it's hard to be a Mariners fan, because it seems like most seasons, when the Mariners make a move in late July, and creep into a tie for the division lead, and fans start to get excited and optimistic... The M's IMMEDIATELY go on an 8-game LOSING STREAK, breaking our hearts, and leaving us wondering why we ever bothered to think they could compete for the division or wildcard, never mind winning in the playoffs.

So, after checking out for a couple-three years as a Mariners fan, WTF, they are 10 games over .500 in mid-June? With a 6-1/2 game lead in the division?? Does this feel real, is the talent there, especially pitching, or is this just another Mariners mirage that will dissolve in a September Slaughter? (or an Awful August)

Rip me for being a fair-weather fan if you must, but I'm truly curious how long-time M's fans see this year's team and the chances for the division and possibly more.

Threedee

Reaction score
The two competitive teams—2014 and 2022—since 2002, did not have anywhere near this good of a start. So, there is that.

86Hawk

Reaction score
The starting pitching could take us the whole way. Unfortunately we have way too many holes offensively. Like Thursday night we had 19 strikeouts. Sure you can’t win them all but we lost against the worst team in baseball.

We’ve been burned so many times I get fans being apathetic towards this organization. Just look at the mess of last offseason.

sutz

Reaction score
The starting pitching could take us the whole way. Unfortunately we have way too many holes offensively. Like Thursday night we had 19 strikeouts. Sure you can’t win them all but we lost against the worst team in baseball.
And the "worst team in baseball" put a guy with the most K's in baseball this season on the mound against us. He's been doing that to everybody. Yes, we have the worst K-rate, but we've been facing a lot of good teams in the first half of the season, including several division leaders and perennial playoff teams. And we put up a 41-31 record against all that. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed going forward, but I'm with them all the way.

NoGain

Reaction score
The sea has parted for them so far. I look at their batting order and stats and cringe. Even their bullpen has become a little shaky. I keep thinking how can this be? Is it too good to be true? We're going to find out. Hopefully the sea doesn't come crashing down upon them before they get to the other side.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
The sea has parted for them so far. I look at their batting order and stats and cringe. Even their bullpen has become a little shaky. I keep thinking how can this be? Is it too good to be true? We're going to find out. Hopefully the sea doesn't come crashing down upon them before they get to the other side.
I did notice on TV they'd show the M's player batting average, and for most it would be .218 or something like that, and I'm thinking, "that's not good, are they 20 games under .500 at this point?". Then Cal Raleigh came up, hitting cleanup, and he was at .240, but gets the game-winning hit, a double down the right field line IIRC. (Chisox series) Then I check the standings, and to my shock, the M's in 1st place by 6.5 games. How??!! I think your explanation of the seas parting for them makes as much sense as any. Others say they've faced the toughest opponents so far. So even better record the second half?

Pessimistic prediction: The M's will enter the final two weeks of the season with two four-game series against the Astros, and a 6-game lead. They'll go 0-4 and again 0-4 against the Astros. The Astros win the division, followed by Texas getting the Wildcard, and the Mariners talking about the off-season.

I hope I'm wrong on that, that this is their year. Better pitching than years past? I'll go with that. Optimistic prediction: A 2-2 split followed by another 2-2 split with the Astros down the stretch. M's win the division by 5, get to play in a multi-game series with a decent chance to win.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
They've found gems with Raley and Locklear, and a lot of guys seem to be pulling out of spring slumps. Moore is trending the wrong way. Get Ty and Polanco back and I could see a deep playoff run.

calinator

Reaction score
1997-2003 they would fail to make correct moves at the deadline for that late season push.

2021 they fell short and the big move was Toro/Smith for Graveman/Montero. Bad trade and immediately after the players response was negative.

2022 they finally trade for an ace, a big piece. Castillo literally was fire and catapulted them to their first appearance in 21 years. He added many wins.

2023. They trade their closer in the middle of the playoff race making the team worse for the year but with some good prospects. I'd say if they keep Sewald and add a bat they definitely go to the playoffs. Nice to have the guys we got in that trade but what could have been.

The Mariners are a franchise starving for playoffs so in that sense it is weird to sacrifice a playoff appearance for prospects.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
It's hard because it feels like this team has a good core, especially at pitching and close to contending and ownership are being so conservative with the payroll.

I get sustainable success and this year theyve lucked out a bit with raley and some others but last year showed what happens when you half ass stuff. I'd rather go all in like texas did. Winning 1 title is worth decades worth of play off runs. Get the 1st and worry about the rest later.

The 2013 Seahawks are immortal in this city. Later Seahawks teams made the playoffs but it's not the same

bileever

Reaction score
OK, so it's hard to be a Mariners fan, because it seems like most seasons, when the Mariners make a move in late July, and creep into a tie for the division lead, and fans start to get excited and optimistic... The M's IMMEDIATELY go on an 8-game LOSING STREAK, breaking our hearts, and leaving us wondering why we ever bothered to think they could compete for the division or wildcard, never mind winning in the playoffs.

So, after checking out for a couple-three years as a Mariners fan, WTF, they are 10 games over .500 in mid-June? With a 6-1/2 game lead in the division?? Does this feel real, is the talent there, especially pitching, or is this just another Mariners mirage that will dissolve in a September Slaughter? (or an Awful August)

Rip me for being a fair-weather fan if you must, but I'm truly curious how long-time M's fans see this year's team and the chances for the division and possibly more.
Here's the explanation: It's baseball. Unpredictable, unforgiving, heartbreaking. But also full of hope.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Ms currently have the 7th best record in the entire majors. More important, they have MLB's best record against division opponents. It may no longer be blasphemy to suppose that the front office and coaching staff actually know what they are doing -- for the most part. I therefore am going to go ahead and "believe," and if a complete collapse happens between now and October, it will more likely be due to multiple injuries rather than any other factor. Which can happen to pretty much any team. Stay healthy, shock the world, and win in the playoffs!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They could win 10 games or 100, it will never change how much I love the team. Been cautiously optimistic all season. This has been an absolute blast. And a surprise. I'll take hope over doom and gloom. Nothing wrong with being pretty pissed off at the team from time to time. But.........screw it. This is a good baseball team. And even Servais is impressing me lately. Yes, you read that right :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

And for the record, the offense drives me f'ing nuts all the time. But.......clearly, they are starting to turn a little corner. I still think they need to add a bat or two. Not some leftover player who used to be good. A big bat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm still not believing. They're just drawing folks in for the eventual collapse.

I hope I'm wrong.
I swear, this team just keeps winning games that in seasons past would have been part of an 8-game losing streak. The Stros have won 4 in a row and barely gained any ground. I'm impressed. It seems this team has some sort of chemistry and intangibles that past M's teams simply haven't.