Hawks sign nine players to 'futures' deals

Jville

Reaction score
Cade Johnson developed nicely during this past season. What's more, this will be his second off season, when players often take a big jump in preparation for their assigned roles. Running precise reliable timing routes is the #1 attribute of a precision passing game.

Interesting that the position designation, in the press release, for Greg Eiland is at guard instead of tackle. It is my understanding that Dickerson has been looking at Eiland as a left guard for some time now. At 6'8" tall with 37" long arms, he would present attributes beyond what we have previously seen at left guard. This will be his third off season. But only his second full off season. So I'm very interested in hearing about his progress. Andy Dickerson may have something special in mind.

LB Chris Garret has KJ Wright size. Although he is only a recent addition, the interest in him suggests a continuing interest in big outside linebackers.

Three receivers on the list suggests, to me, that timed precision route runners remain a priority.

Overall, a nice start to the off season.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm stoked Johnson, Darwin (go USUAggies!), and Eiland are on that list.

Turtle

Reaction score
Seeing Sean Mannion on the list is a bit perplexing. I feel like you kind of know what the guy is at this juncture (and would much prefer some fresh blood). Am I missing something here?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Seeing Sean Mannion on the list is a bit perplexing. I feel like you kind of know what the guy is at this juncture (and would much prefer some fresh blood). Am I missing something here?

I don’t see Mannion on the list tho

Turtle

Reaction score
I don’t see Mannion on the list tho
You're correct:

Among the unsigned are those who were on the practice squad as veteran exemption players, including quarterback Sean Mannion, tight end Jacob Hollister, linebacker Alexander Johnson, safety Steven Parker and running back Wayne Gallman. Also unsigned is linebacker Aaron Donkor, for whom Seattle had a roster exemption this year as part of the league’s International Player Pathway Program.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...n-10-practice-squad-players-to-futures-deals/

sutz

Reaction score
Great news on the Myers signing. Last thing we need now is insecurity about the kicker position. ;)

Of course this is an odd numbered year. I hope he does well.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Mannion is a coach in the locker room. His value is study skills, film analysis, etc… not physical ability. If he influences at young player to improve in the off-season, I’m all for it. He will be a coach someday.

Jville

Reaction score
I find the Joey Hunt resigning interesting. He is of the same size as Austin Blythe. Clearly the staff considers them big enough. I don't know that fans appreciate the preferred attributes of the center position in contrast to other positions. Austin went on record this week saying he'll either resign for a return to the Seahawks or retire.

Just thought these were interesting developments worth noting.

Last edited: