Hawks players want Bobby back

nanomoz

Reaction score
When you set aside sentimentality, I just don't see how it makes sense in terms of cap and building the roster at this stage. I'd love to be wrong, but I think we're a year or two away from realistically competing for a super bowl. And that definitely informs my opinion.

Won't Brooks be ILB1 when he gets back no matter what? And don't we need all the intel we can get on determining whether or not he should be retained after 2023? (And now Devin Bush is probably in the same situation. They must think there is something there.)

Unless the contract is like veteran-minimum territory, it doesn't fit the pattern I'm seeing this offseason. And I'm so stoked that there seems to be an actual plan that they're following.

kidhawk

Reaction score
To no surprise to anyone here, I still want to see Bobby return for 1-2 more seasons. His biggest strengths are some of our greatest weaknesses. There are numerous current and previous Seahawks players who have counted him as their mentor both on the field and off. He is no longer the player he was when he first came here, but he's still one of the better inside LBs in the league. Let John work his contract magic and make this happen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hope they bring him back too. For one season. Plus, they have no idea when Brooks will be back. Just curious what he's expecting salary wise.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I hope they bring him back too. For one season. Plus, they have no idea when Brooks will be back. Just curious what he's expecting salary wise.

This is purely my speculation, but Bobby has made quite a good sum of money in his career. He has stated he wants to play for a team that is a contender. My hope and speculation is that he is waiting more on team off season developments and less on actual contract dollars. Any team he is interested in still has quite a bit of free agency and the draft to work through. I'm hoping he's waiting and watching and just maybe he'll see Seattle as a place that he can come into and be a final piece to the puzzle for a playoff run.

(Yes you can read "speculation" as "wishful thinking" if you would like)

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
To no surprise to anyone here, I still want to see Bobby return for 1-2 more seasons. His biggest strengths are some of our greatest weaknesses. There are numerous current and previous Seahawks players who have counted him as their mentor both on the field and off. He is no longer the player he was when he first came here, but he's still one of the better inside LBs in the league. Let John work his contract magic and make this happen.

He remains one of the best. Ap all pro doesn’t lie.

toffee

Reaction score
Not sure if Pete/John are determine to get Bobby back, or they would have crated cap space or prioritize his signing. Similarly, not sure if Bobby prioritize coming back over $$$ either.

Rat

Reaction score
Brooks is trash. His unfortunate presence on this roster should have no bearing on whether we bring Bobby back.

I've been saying I think he ends up in Dallas, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in Buffalo either. I'd still be happy to have him here.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
Brooks is trash. His unfortunate presence on this roster should have no bearing on whether we bring Bobby back.

I've been saying I think he ends up in Dallas, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in Buffalo either. I'd still be happy to have him here.

Brooks isn't as good as the tackle numbers would seem to indicate to some, for sure. But it's a bit of an exaggeration to call him "trash," isn't it?

Kinger95

Reaction score
If brooks was worth keeping around we wouldn’t have had a bottom 3 run defense. Couldn’t stop the run even when we knew it was a run play. Brooks is literally the definition of meh. Anytime your D can’t get off the field your linebackers are gonna rack up the tackles

kidhawk

Reaction score

There are a lot of ways to create cap space. You can renegotiate player contracts to move salary into signing bonus money to pro-rate it, you can trade expensive players, you can cut players. These are just a few common methods.

Diggs would be a good candidate for either a trade, or a contract restructure.

If he is traded (let's say during the draft), he saves us $9,900,000

If he were to restructure, they could move a big chunk of his salary into a signing bonus and pro-rate it depending on the years. That could easily save us $6 million+ without changing his actual pay for the year.

Obviously there are many other players that can be looked at to save cap money by restructuring current deals or through trades, and cuts are also options, and I'm not necessarily advocating for Diggs to get traded or restructured, just using it as an example.

Own The West

Reaction score
It’s incredibly hard being the guy who follows THE guy. Brooks is by no means trash - he just isn’t Bobby.
And I don't think Bobby is Bobby anymore. I don't think the FO can bring him back at all because of his relationships in the locker room. He was captain of the team for nearly a decade, it's not like he can come in and just be a contributing veteran.

And will the team/Bobby be able to stomach him riding the bench when Brooks comes back? Even though I respect Wagner, I see his resigning as potentially harmful.

kidhawk

Reaction score
And I don't think Bobby is Bobby anymore. I don't think the FO can bring him back at all because of his relationships in the locker room. He was captain of the team for nearly a decade, it's not like he can come in and just be a contributing veteran.

And will the team/Bobby be able to stomach him riding the bench when Brooks comes back? Even though I respect Wagner, I see his resigning as potentially harmful.

I can't think of a single inside linebacker either from last season or that is currently on the roster that is better than Bobby was last year. Sure we were spoiled with Wagner at his very peak, but he's still better than most.

Latest posts