Hawks Offseason

Sonichound16

Reaction score
Maybe my memory is fading but I don't recall an offseason where we have addressed so many needs in the first couple days of free agent signings as this year. It's like the Hawks got their Tax return and are putting that money to work. I was thinking that we would have one more season of being a fringe playoff team and building towards being an actual contender. With the moves we have made and if we can hit in the draft we can actually be a team that has a legitimate chance to get the W in most of their games. Looking at their schedule next year I can easily see 12 wins without even throwing any "upset" wins into the equation. The division is basically us and the Niners and San Fran has mortgaged their future to try and win now and still doesn't know who their @1 QB is. Everything is setting up for the Hawks to be #1 in the Division for years to come. Draft picks to get young players on cheap deals...check...QB that doesn't suck on a team friendly deal..check...secondary that can cover and generate coverage sacks...check...address our issues with run defense...partial check. Need to shore up the LB crew and I think they can do some work. Really excited to see what they do in the draft this year. Not saying we are going to the Super Bowl but definitely a lot more optimistic than I was at this point last year.

sutz

Reaction score
You're not wrong. The Hawks usually take the first few days of FA off, not bidding for the 'blue chip' players on the market. This year has been refreshing, to say the least. Some solid signings so far.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
I have to admit, I’ve not been this excited as a Hawks fan in many many years. I enjoy some roster turnover and to see them go hard at the FA, and sitting on a deep draft coming up, we are looking great.

CPHawk

Reaction score
JS Breaking molds left and right. Come on down Christian Gonzo

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
This offseason has been better than expected. The defense has brought in some guys to shore up a few weak spots. LB is still a problem and DT seems to need some more talent as well. Hopefully another good draft will finish shoring up the run defense.

I'm not sure about the 12 easy wins comment, but given that last year they had the 3rd easiest schedule, an improved team might still only win 9 or 10 games. It's nice to feel like there is some direction in the team building though.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the 12 easy wins comment, but given that last year they had the 3rd easiest schedule, an improved team might still only win 9 or 10 games. It's nice to feel like there is some direction in the team building though.
I agree.

Last year we went 0-4 against the NFCS, which was won by a team that finished below .500. We lost to three teams (CAR, NO and ATL) that finished 7-10 and one team (TB) that finished 8-9. We should have finished better than 9-8.

Next year we face the AFCN and the NFCE (both tougher divisions than the NFCS), and the Lions, the Panthers and the Titans. And next year we play 9 games on the road and 8 games at home. Looks like 5 of the away games will likely start at 10:00 AM PT.

If we can finish 10-7 next year it will be an accomplishment to be proud of.

bileever

Reaction score
I like the moves they've made, but no one ever wins anything in the off season. Every year, it seems there are teams that look good on paper that don't amount to anything. Last year, people were saying the Raiders, Dolphins and Broncos killed the off-season. Team construction is a tricky and difficult task. I trust John and Pete because they've done it before, but it's a long hard road ahead.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I agree, with the caveat that we still don't know who is our long term qb either. Time will tell.

chris98251

Reaction score
I agree, with the caveat that we still don't know who is our long term qb either. Time will tell.
Geno is the long term till he isn't, they brought back Lock for a reason as well. Have to see more of him in our system but 90 percent of the Board hated Geno before his performance last year, most here hated the Me3 pick here as a starter initially, Mediots lambasted us for it, but it proved out as did Geno for us. Big Names at QB is not what we do in Seattle. Zorn, Myer, Krieg, Hasselbeck, Wilson, then we have the guys that were fill ins, sure we have had stop gap guys like Moon, but most are in the twilight of their careers and looking for one last chance etc.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I think they've done a good job with contracts, letting the right players go and bringing in some quality players to fill gaping holes. But there is a lot of over-reaction out there imo. You'd think they just brought in Aaron Donald and Miles Garrett or something. They've done a very good job but we're still in need of game wreckers on the defensive side of the ball to really take that next step. Hopefully they nail the draft one more time and we can really get excited for the future.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno is the long term till he isn't
Exactly. He could be here a year or two, or five. No one knows yet. That's why they still need to draft a qb, to hedge theirs bets, like they do with every other position.