Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Houston Texans

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3bs51862 said:
I love the insight into the culture of a program that this show provides us. Last season, we had an inside look into the culture of negativity that plagued Mike Smith's tenure in Atlanta.

Now, we have a full glimpse into the fraternity culture or culture of embarrassment that will probably continue to wreak havoc on the Houston Texans. This style is not unique to Bill O'Brien, a lot of football coaches find it easy to run their team in this way. Humiliating under-performers, embarrassing rookies, and generally leading via a culture of fear. It's old school football that is only now beginning to give way to the culture of opportunity or idealism that Pete Carroll has pioneered.
This x1000. It's really hard for me to watch. I had lots of coaches coming up that were this way, and when I first started doing a bit of coaching myself I followed suit. It was kind of against my nature, but I thought that's just how it should be done. PC/Wooden/Gallwey gave me a whole new perspective, and one I that already intrinsically knew. Why, in an endeavor that requires above all else confidence, would you do anything to break it down? You can still be critical, but why be an a**? It just reeks of bullying to me.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Got a kick out of Wilfork this week.

hardknocks4-wilforkoverals3.jpg

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Probably the best episode so far. Wilfork is carrying the show. I got a real kick out of Charles James playing Odell Beckham Jr in Madden.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1pn8biab said:
A little over the top Hard Knocks.

HBO is definitely trying to fabricate and sensationalize this season, cause let's face it the Texans are a pretty damn boring team with very few characters.

The best seasons are the ones with teams in turmoil, drama and lots of interesting players. Other than Watt and Cushing, the Texans are about as vanilla as it comes.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jcpfsrc said:
Other than Watt and Cushing, the Texans are about as vanilla as it comes.

Both have been pretty boring. I was so freaking glad that they fast forwarded through Cushing's "a day in the life" stuff this week. So glad.

Thought the stuff around O'Brien's personal life was pretty interesting, particularly after he told that receiver that he cut about coaching being so hard on family life. Meanwhile, he has a special needs child that he probably doesn't get to spend much time with.

That corner on the bubble (Charles something - #31) is an enjoyable watch for me as well. Seems like a genuinely hard working dude with a great attitude.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Laloosh":2st16kwr said:
Sgt. Largent":2st16kwr said:
Other than Watt and Cushing, the Texans are about as vanilla as it comes.

Both have been pretty boring. I was so freaking glad that they fast forwarded through Cushing's "a day in the life" stuff this week. So glad.

Thought the stuff around O'Brien's personal life was pretty interesting, particularly after he told that receiver that he cut about coaching being so hard on family life. Meanwhile, he has a special needs child that he probably doesn't get to spend much time with.

That corner on the bubble (Charles something - #31) is an enjoyable watch for me as well. Seems like a genuinely hard working dude with a great attitude.

For sure, and I'll always watch Hard Knocks.........cause I really dig the process of camp, and filming it documentary style is amazing to see how it all goes down.

But yeah, Texans? = zzzzzz

You can certainly see why they were choice # 12 for HBO.

As far as O'Brien? He seems like a standup guy, but he's too generic for me and pukes up all the same rah rah F bomb bromides that probably don't inspire or help his team. Makes me appreciate the hell out of Pete, because when Pete talks, he has a purpose.........and doesn't just say the same ol' thing every coach since 1923 yells at his players like O'Brien.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I get the impression that the show is cut to make O'Brien look like a hardass. I have a hard time believing someone with a special needs kid would be that callous. Especially given how forced his language is - as others have mentioned.

On the flip side, Watt comes off as a total tool. Chill out, man. You are playing a game.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Cushing seems like the kind of kid that handed out a lot of wedgies in high school. Total d-bag.

As for Watt - I don't think he's that bad. Probably plays it up a little for the camera, but he seems ok to me.

How can you not root for James? He's been the most interesting person on the show to me.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
TriCHawk":2b7csr1i said:
Cushing seems like the kind of kid that handed out a lot of wedgies in high school. Total d-bag.

As for Watt - I don't think he's that bad. Probably plays it up a little for the camera, but he seems ok to me.

How can you not root for James? He's been the most interesting person on the show to me.

Brian Cushing gives me "Bill Romanowski" vibes. And I wouldn't be shocked if he juices just as much as ol' Billy boy did...

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Possibly the worst season of Hard Knocks. The Houston Texans are officially the boringest team in the league, personality wise. Other than Wilfork and Charles James, zero personalities for the camera. They basically focused on a bunch of guys you never heard of, most who got cut on the last episode. I'm not a big fan of Bill O'Brien's coaching style, but without him this season would have been even more of a failure.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":211rayr4 said:
TriCHawk":211rayr4 said:

Brian Cushing gives me "Bill Romanowski" vibes. And I wouldn't be shocked if he juices just as much as ol' Billy boy did...
You do notice how he gets seriously injured every year? The injuries he gets and the severity of them are indicative of steroid use when it's continous and long term. So you may not be wrong.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":fqqj0p46 said:
TriCHawk":fqqj0p46 said:

Strength gain at SC was impressive....

6a00d8341c61ab53ef01156fda5b30970b pi

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ikbcf8y said:
The best seasons are the ones with teams in turmoil, drama and lots of interesting players. Other than Watt and Cushing, the Texans are about as vanilla as it comes.

Yep. To me the best season ever was the Jets in 2010. I'm not a Rex Ryan fan but he was born to be on "Hard Knocks," and with the whole Revis holdout going on in the background it made for some good television. Dolphins in 2012 were also good (if a little disturbing) because we got to see Chad Johnson's career crash and burn in real time.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Cushing seems like that HS bully because he was the football star. Sadly he's a guy who will remain a winner forever. bad ass player, making big money, set for life. Outside of being stupid with his money after his football career is over and going bankrupt nothing going to bring a guy like that back to earth. What a douche, but he's better at life than the rest of us.

Watt seems cool, i respect his work ethic.

I really feel bad for all the guys getting cut, I feel like Kam should be watching that to remember how good he's got it.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1qjdovfu said:
Smellyman":1qjdovfu said:
Trenchbroom":1qjdovfu said:
TriCHawk":1qjdovfu said:

Strength gain at SC was impressive....

6a00d8341c61ab53ef01156fda5b30970b pi

Funny enough, the before picture is on the right. Not joking.

He was caught already for a failed test his rookie year. He used some excuse why his testosterone levels were screaming. Over worked athlete syndrome or something like that was the medical excuse. He has been known since High school to be using steroids. He def is still using. He wouldn't have even made it in college without it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":3bol1qqv said:
They did Charles James dirty :(

Glad he got picked up by the Ravens though.

Seemed like O'Brien was leaning that way but his GM reminded him that they wanted to get longer.