Guys...we currently have a top 5 pick

QWERTY

Reaction score
The Texans are lucky they will have 2 Top 5 picks in the next draft.

Mick063

Reaction score
Nothing would be less surprising to me than to see the front office turn a top 10 pick into multiple picks. In fact, this last draft probably upped their confidence level for player evaluation into the stratosphere. I would say that it is likely that they do one of two things.
a) Package picks to bring in a player they have fallen in love with. Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Adams are examples of that.
b) Trade down to create more picks.
I don't see them "standing pat". It isn't in their historical DNA. Once they are smitten with a player, good or bad, they don't compromise. Which means the EXACT player they covet has to be within range of a given pick or they will move out of it.

There is also something to be said about getting good at your craft through experience. This goes for evaluating/drafting players as well. I'm sure they have learned a hard lesson more than once and swore off ever "making that same mistake" again. "Trial and error" is a great teacher and the continuity within this organization really should be considered a strength.

Last edited:

Spohawks

Reaction score
What is the trade value of a number 1 pick?

I am not sure I remember the overall #1 pick being traded before.

If the Hawks had the #1 pick, what kind of draft capital would a team have to cough up?

Spohawks

Reaction score
Just think if the Hawks had the #1 and traded that for 2 mid round first picks.

3 first round picks and 2 2nd rounders...I would do that all day

The Hawks might have to give up a 3rd as well, but I would still do it.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The Donkeys were 5-12 last year and had the #9 overall pick until they traded for Russell.

Six-win teams had picks #10, 11 and 12. I would be happy if our 1st round pick from the Donkeys was #10 or lower. Top 5 would be fantastic.

The Broncos were 7-10 last year. They were 5-11 in 2020.
The only six-win team would have had pick #7, but it was traded away.

The first 12 picks in the 2022 draft:
  1. Jaguars (3-14)
  2. Lions (3-13-1)
  3. Texans (4-13)
  4. Jets (4-13)
  5. Giants (4-13)
  6. Panthers (5-12)
  7. Giants (via trade with 6-11 Bears)
  8. Falcons (7-10)
  9. Seahawks (via trade with 7-10 Broncos)
  10. Jets (via trade with 7-10 Seahawks)
  11. Saints (via trade with 7-10 WFT/Commanders)
  12. Lions (via trade with 8-9 Vikings)

Ruminator

Reaction score
#3 overall would be perfect for the irony. Then trade down 5-7 places for AT LEAST another 1st and 2nd rounder in ‘24 plus a ‘23 3rd rounder.
And none of us, except maybe a few nascent Seahawk fans, would be surprised if this happens. I think I'd laugh anyway if it does!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Nothing would be less surprising to me than to see the front office turn a top 10 pick into multiple picks. In fact, this last draft probably upped their confidence level for player evaluation into the stratosphere. I would say that it is likely that they do one of two things.
a) Package picks to bring in a player they have fallen in love with. Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Adams are examples of that.
b) Trade down to create more picks.
I don't see them "standing pat". It isn't in their historical DNA. Once they are smitten with a player, good or bad, they don't compromise. Which means the EXACT player they covet has to be within range of a given pick or they will move out of it.

There is also something to be said about getting good at your craft through experience. This goes for evaluating/drafting players as well. I'm sure they have learned a hard lesson more than once and swore off ever "making that same mistake" again. "Trial and error" is a great teacher and the continuity within this organization really should be considered a strength.
That formula, trading draft picks for veteran players and trading down to accumulate more lower selections, has been a losing formula and one that we changed last season as we made no player for pick trades and didn't trade down during the draft.

The results were that we had the best draft that we've had in ten years, and it's one of the reasons why I might just jump back on the Pete bandwagon.

I honestly felt that Pete and John had a certain degree of smugness about them, that they felt that their system was so far superior to everyone else's that they didn't need high draft picks in order to find players that could succeed in their system, hence the player-for-picks trades and trading down to accumulate more, lower round selections.

Did Pete and John have to eat a serving of humble pie in order for them to realize the failings of their ways? Did missing the playoffs, posting the worst record of their tenure, and having their franchise QB forcing a trade cause them to re-evaluate their process? Did the talk of firings induce a "come to Jesus" moment?

Of course, none of us know if that scenario is true or false, but it is a viable explanation of their change of strategy, and being that they were successful with it, I hope and expect that it continues.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The Hawks have had a few top ten picks in the Pete Carroll years and did not trade any of them away. Most drafts are top heavy with only about 15 players with blue chip first round grades. Bottom half of the first round is often indistinguishable talent wise from the second round. So trading out of lower first round is a good idea, trading out of the top 10 is not.

Ozzy

Reaction score
If Geno finishes the year playing like he is now they probably trade down. If he cools off and ends up as a middle of the pack kind of guy they they have to draft one of the franchise guys if John is enamored with one and I think he will because he knows you have to have that piece in the modern NFL. It could be Levis, Stroud, Young etc. Or maybe John loves Richardson and is able to trade down and get him with a lower first. Regardless its going to be a lot of fun on draft night.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, 10 games to play. SO much to be determined. Denver losses are very nice. All the other stuff and 24/7 dwelling on former players like Bobby, Russ etc. You were wrong, no you were wrong, pete sucks, front office sucks, blah blah blah. Waste of energy.
This team is on the rise, that's ALL that matters. Get that W on Sunday.

Zybot

Reaction score
What is the trade value of a number 1 pick?

I am not sure I remember the overall #1 pick being traded before.

If the Hawks had the #1 pick, what kind of draft capital would a team have to cough up?
I think Eli Manning was traded because he wouldn’t play for San Diego

Latest posts