Geno interview on Sherm's Pod

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I’m glad someone posted this because I’ve was wondering if it was always a possibility as this draft is much more ripe in 4-3 type edges and guys at DT who’d probably fit much better in 4-3 than they would in a 3-4.

Let’s say Seahawks resign Poona Ford what would a feasible depth chart look like?

MBE: Jones
3T: Ford, Adams
1T: Reed,
CAE: Taylor, Smith

MBE = Michael Bennett type end
CAE = Cliff Avril type end

Before when Seahawks had Ford and Reed together it was Reed playing 3T and Ford playing 1T. I guess both would just be interchangeable.

SLB: Nwosu, Mafe
MLB: Wagner, (Brooks), Bellore
WLB: (Brooks), Bush

I had Nwosu at DE in the Avril spot at first with Taylor backing him but I think you’d have to get both on the field right? With Nwosu being much more adept in a linebacker role I guess he’d suit the 2D Sam/3rd down LEO role more than Taylor would.

I feel like this opens things up in the draft and guys like Wilson, Van Ness, Kancey, Murphy, Foskey, Anudike-Uzomah, Tuipolotu, McGuire, and others might be more draftable than they would have been. Especially Kancey, I like his skill set just not for really in a 3-4.

And three of my favorite low key sleeper prospects in Karl Brooks, Fehoku, and Tavai make much more sense in a 4-3 alignment. This were guys that graded fairly high in both pass rush win rate but also stopped the run fairly well.

And if they can find the cap space I suppose a Frank Clark reunion is much more on the table than it seemed.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Wow, I am really impressed and inspired by Geno's comments. Overcoming set-backs and then continuing on to achieve his personal goals and vision has left him confident, but humble.

Maybe he is a role model for every person...We have all had our own set-backs and many people have learned and have come back stronger.

I might buy a Geno Jersey

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
I’m glad someone posted this because I’ve was wondering if it was always a possibility as this draft is much more ripe in 4-3 type edges and guys at DT who’d probably fit much better in 4-3 than they would in a 3-4.

Let’s say Seahawks resign Poona Ford what would a feasible depth chart look like?

Before when Seahawks had Ford and Reed together it was Reed playing 3T and Ford playing 1T. I guess both would just be interchangeable.

I had Nwosu at DE in the Avril spot at first with Taylor backing him but I think you’d have to get both on the field right? With Nwosu being much more adept in a linebacker role I guess he’d suit the 2D Sam/3rd down LEO role more than Taylor would.

I feel like this opens things up in the draft and guys like Wilson, Van Ness, Kancey, Murphy, Foskey, Anudike-Uzomah, Tuipolotu, McGuire, and others might be more draftable than they would have been. Especially Kancey, I like his skill set just not for really in a 3-4.

And three of my favorite low key sleeper prospects in Karl Brooks, Fehoku, and Tavai make much more sense in a 4-3 alignment. This were guys that graded fairly high in both pass rush win rate but also stopped the run fairly well.

And if they can find the cap space I suppose a Frank Clark reunion is much more on the table than it seemed.
Add in the factor I see then running a lot of 3 safety sets with Adams playing a hybrid LB role

Fade

Reaction score

I caught that too. And was debating if Sherm was just talking, or if it is really true. I tend to think Sherm is spilling the beans here with the guy's he knows on the team.

I complained about this multiple times during the season, and Pete agrees. Clint Hurtt's 3-4 ideas were terrible and needed to be trashcanned ASAP. It would never marry properly with how Pete wants to play on the backend. They had to fully commit to one way or the other. It was a mish mash. And since I don't trust Clint Hurtt farther than I can throw him, I'd much rather roll the dice with dinosaur Pete and his bland, already figured out defense.

The Good: They are all but guaranteed to be better on defense than last year. And should be waaaay better against the run. They struggled with run fits all season with what Clint Hurtt was trying to implement with 1.5 + 2 gap stuff, that will be gone. Back to good ol' 1 gap 'n go. No more read and react crap. Now they just need a 1T and they will have the personel in place to run the old Pete defense.

The Bad: Even if the pass rush is vastly improved, you are still gonna see a defense that can't get off the field on 3rd down and gives up everything underneath. Like we saw with Ken Norton at DC.

Still gonna do a terrible job of masking coverage's, giving the opposing QB a comfort level, knowing he can trust what he sees, and if he feels pressure he can dump it off to the wide open check down. But at least they will be able to stop the run again.

Jac

Reaction score

Rob said in his latest blog that if true, this really puts Wilson into play at #5.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Could we get the “cliff notes”?

Please

Talks about his contract and $$ being important but desire to play for Pete/Seattle since they gave him a shot to prove himself.

How he dealt with failing at other spots, especially two different NY teams with nasty media, and being told he'll never get another shot at being a starting QB. Everything building up to his shot this past season and how he wouldn't give the job away.

Culture of the Seahawks and what they are building. Really thinks they'll make a push this year. Excited for their draft picks, consensus is FO has a clear plan going into it (BPA).

Stats were cool but winning every snap most important. Lessons he learned from Russ on how to lead, carry himself as an example for the team. Russ being a big part of his growth.

Loved seeing the rookies step up and act like seasoned vets last year. Both tackles already handle themselves like they've been in the league awhile. K9 going to have a huge year as the guy, everyone saw it click for him after Penny went down. Thinks they'll have one of the best offenses in the league.

Need to beat 49ers, 3-0 last season isn't acceptable, important to take back the division.

Him and Sherm joke about how Lockett is a 'dogg' - see him outside the field and he's a quiet goofball but on the field he wants to kill you. Very excited for Bobby to be back. HOF guy, defense needed someone like him as a leader.

Overall an excellent interview if you have 20 minutes to kill. Very impressed with Geno.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Talks about his contract and $$ being important but desire to play for Pete/Seattle since they gave him a shot to prove himself.

How he dealt with failing at other spots, especially two different NY teams with nasty media, and being told he'll never get another shot at being a starting QB. Everything building up to his shot this past season and how he wouldn't give the job away.

Culture of the Seahawks and what they are building. Really thinks they'll make a push this year. Excited for their draft picks, consensus is FO has a clear plan going into it (BPA).

Stats were cool but winning every snap most important. Lessons he learned from Russ on how to lead, carry himself as an example for the team. Russ being a big part of his growth.

Loved seeing the rookies step up and act like seasoned vets last year. Both tackles already handle themselves like they've been in the league awhile. K9 going to have a huge year as the guy, everyone saw it click for him after Penny went down. Thinks they'll have one of the best offenses in the league.

Need to beat 49ers, 3-0 last season isn't acceptable, important to take back the division.

Him and Sherm joke about how Lockett is a 'dogg' - see him outside the field and he's a quiet goofball but on the field he wants to kill you. Very excited for Bobby to be back. HOF guy, defense needed someone like him as a leader.

Overall an excellent interview if you have 20 minutes to kill. Very impressed with Geno.
Thank you.
I appreciate the time you spent typing that out.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The Good: They are all but guaranteed to be better on defense than last year. And should be waaaay better against the run. They struggled with run fits all season with what Clint Hurtt was trying to implement with 1.5 + 2 gap stuff, that will be gone. Back to good ol' 1 gap 'n go. No more read and react crap. Now they just need a 1T and they will have the personel in place to run the old Pete defense.

The Bad: Even if the pass rush is vastly improved, you are still gonna see a defense that can't get off the field on 3rd down and gives up everything underneath. Like we saw with Ken Norton at DC.

Still gonna do a terrible job of masking coverage's, giving the opposing QB a comfort level, knowing he can trust what he sees, and if he feels pressure he can dump it off to the wide open check down. But at least they will be able to stop the run again.

Good points, but let's say you're the DC. Your defense has stopped the run on 1st and 2nd down. It's now 3rd and 5.

What do you do? Give up the short yards underneath, and hope your players tackle/limit YAC before the first down, OR do you tighten up underneath, and possibly give up the big chunk play over the top?

If you're going to allow the big chunk play over the top, do you have the pass rush personnel to get home before that happens? Do you have a safety like ET who can allow you play single high, while also tightening up underneath?

In general, what's your approach on 3rd and 5, with the team as currently constructed?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
It's a little more complicated than this. It's a real disservice to that defense to label it a strict 4-3 as we've been doing here

Honestly, my hope for the defense is keep a base 4-3 with 3-4 tendencies. If they can add personnel in this draft, one that you can blend concepts/schemes between ‘14-‘17 Avril 5tech and ‘11-‘13 Bryant 5tech. However, I would want them continue to modernize their pass rush concepts as well as their pass defense in whole. I feel they have been working towards that.

I also felt the 3-4 was tailored around maximizing Adams strengths. And when he went down they were kind stuck in a way in between schemes and not having enough in the actual players or actual experience in the front 7 to make it work as a true 3-4 or a true 4-3.

So when Sherman said they are going back to the scheme, I think it has everything to do with Adams. They tried to put him in the opportunity to be able to maximize and excel and it backfired. So looking at that they want more contingency in place in creating a defense that can survive and execute without Adams but one that has a plan in place to use him at his greatest strengths when he’s on the field.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Couple things: I love the Sherman podcast. Much better than his 'schtick' on TV coverage.

I saw a comment in another unrelated place, but I agree with it: "It's so F'ing nice to have an actual human being as our QB now, instead of the Droid." Just watching Geno and Sherm was like seeing two friends just chat - no corporate speak. No word Salad. Nothing fake. Love it.

20 minute mark: Sherm says that he's heard we're going back to the old defensive scheme!!!!!! He should know - he's had enough people on his show.

If this is true, and I hope with every fiber of my being that it is: doesn't this explain some of the offseason moves and NOT moves, particularly around nose tackle that have happened/not happened?

What ya think about going back to the future on defense? I love it!

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
What ya think about going back to the future on defense? I love it!
I've gone a few rounds with a few different folks about this quote and it's meaning. My truthful and most respectful read on the situation is as follows:

I don't think that soundbite truly pertains at all to a wholesale scheme shift back to a 43 from 34. I think that that ultimately the defense that Carroll and Hurtt wants will be multiple and hybridized in terms of fronts and alignments, but the base scheme will be formulated around the 34 concept.

One might ask how I could surmise that to be the case? For me it's a matter of reading the personnel tea leaves.

*They spent a fast and pretty penny on Dre'mont Jones. A player who has largely only played at 5tech in a 2-gapping 34 personnel system.

*They spent money on bringing back Jarran Reed, which could be construed as a move back to a 43. But Reed has been playing 5tech in a 2-gapping 34 personnel system the last couple of years.

*And the one that really sticks out is Uchenna Nwosu. A move back to a 43 would require a position and philosophy switch for Nwosu as he's been a 34 EDGE playing in 6t, 7t, or 9t his whole career. A switch to 43 would force him to line up as a a more traditional Sam or Will and play in space, which neuters his pass rushing. By far the most potent part of his skillset.

I think it's possible Sherm might have been talking about how the D reverted back to Bear Fronts and 1-gapping at certain points last season as some guys up front were having trouble with the read and react portion of 2-gap responsibilities.

At this point I feel as though we've rolled so much of our personnel over towards guys who fit a 34 scheme that a sudden reversion back to a 43 would leave us right where we were last year all over again: caught in between schemes with personnel and without much direction.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
^^
I don’t see it that way at this point they can go either or.

Jones comps well to a Bennett style DE that can bounce around all over the line. While he can 2 gap, coming from a 3-4, I don’t think he comes off as a stonewall run defender, he seems to be more effective in an attacking role both as a pass rusher and what I’ve seen from him as a run defender as in he seem more capable in pursuit than he did trying to hold the line.

Reed played DE in a 3-4 with the Packers, as of now he’s your only healthy true 2 gapper but with the Seahawks and Chiefs he played more 3tech and 1 tech.

The only depth we have at DT is Adams and an injured Mone. Adams is probably better suited at 1 gapping inside as a 3tech than 2 gapping outside as DE. Mone is only the true NT but he looks doubtful to return this year.

Nwosu is really your own true 3-4 OLB as he is effective in space with top notch agility. Yet, if you go back to his collegiate days and if I gathered my info correctly he played in a similar SLB/LEO role. Mafe has the athletic traits to get there but like a young Irvin there is a learning curve to transition. However, these guys seem apt enough to play SLB/LEO position.

The other 3 guys they have in depth Taylor, Robinson, and Smith are probably better suited attacking from the End position than what they’ve shown in space. Smith is kind of a tweener, he’s a little more lightweight than the other 2 as he’s got the agility to play a LBer role but lacks top end speed to close in space that Nwosu and Mafe have. But going back to last year post-draft deep dive and similar to Taylor and Robinson, Smith looks more comfortable attacking from the LOS than he does from space.

Wagner is Wagner, he’s going to be a force to be reckon with no matter what. But Brooks probably won’t be ready until mid-season, and while I think he can handle being a MLB, that injury is going to be a setback to that growth. And the way Carroll plays his WLB before the 3-4, these guys are asked more or are in a better position schematically to seek and destroy, run and flow to the ball carrier rather than fill gaps and blow up the point of attack. So the 4-3 WLB is actually perfect for what Devin Bush as shown, he’s quick to the ball, physical on the tackle, he’s just can’t do effectively through a block or really hold down a gap like a true 3-4 ILB should be capable of. But put him a position to be a just heat seeking missle and he could be an awesome player. Brooks working back from injury, WLB is a good spot for him too.

At this point I have no clue what scheme alignment the Seahawks are going to run. But the way they are set-up as of now they look like they can go either direction. However, I can see why and how they can go back to 4-3 with what they have and why it makes sense.

I also think this draft is deeper with more 4-3 capable players, you got players that can play 3-4 but it seems like you’ll have to reach for those types of players if you really want them. That draft is stronger in 4-3 type pass-rushers that it is in 3-4 type rushers. And it seems like most of the guys that you’d want as 3-4 type ends could make solid 1 or 3 techs and it opens up the board for some DTs that only make sense in a 4-3 like Kancey. Even guys like Carter, Breese, Benton, Dexter, Pickens, Coburn probably make for better 1 techs than they would 0 or 5 techs. But most importantly the 4-3 alignment takes the pressure off of needing a true 2 gapping nose guard in a draft that really doesn’t provide that type of quality. You have Smith and Ika. With Ika’s skill set shading more as 1 tech or a big ass 3 tech than 0 tech despite his size.

The 4-3 is also a better fit if you’re wanting a reunion with guys like Ford and Clark if they can free up the money to do so.

And again I think the attempt to transition to the 3-4 was specifically to build a defense around Adams and put him in the opportunity to effectively play to his strengths like he did with the Jets. I think they still have an opportunity for him like in a “spinner” type pass rush specialist ala Irvin in 2013 but I don’t think they want to make the same mistake of scheming a defense around one player and have that guy be unavailable.

Frankly, to me they are more set-up right now to run a 4-3 than they are 3-4. And the draft is more set up for them in quantity and quality to draft 4-3 bodies.

And again I’m not pulling one way or the other, if it were up to me I’d want them to build as much as a dynamic defense as possible that you can obtain in this draft and post draft free agency. Im not looking for a singular static scheme but a multiple one that can adapt and adjust to offenses accordingly and attack them effectively from different looks, different fronts, different alignments.

JPatera76

Reaction score
^^
I don’t see it that way at this point they can go either or.

Jones comps well to a Bennett style DE that can bounce around all over the line. While he can 2 gap, coming from a 3-4, I don’t think he comes off as a stonewall run defender, he seems to be more effective in an attacking role both as a pass rusher and what I’ve seen from him as a run defender as in he seem more capable in pursuit than he did trying to hold the line.

Reed played DE in a 3-4 with the Packers, as of now he’s your only healthy true 2 gapper but with the Seahawks and Chiefs he played more 3tech and 1 tech.

The only depth we have at DT is Adams and an injured Mone. Adams is probably better suited at 1 gapping inside as a 3tech than 2 gapping outside as DE. Mone is only the true NT but he looks doubtful to return this year.

Nwosu is really your own true 3-4 OLB as he is effective in space with top notch agility. Yet, if you go back to his collegiate days and if I gathered my info correctly he played in a similar SLB/LEO role. Mafe has the athletic traits to get there but like a young Irvin there is a learning curve to transition. However, these guys seem apt enough to play SLB/LEO position.

The other 3 guys they have in depth Taylor, Robinson, and Smith are probably better suited attacking from the End position than what they’ve shown in space. Smith is kind of a tweener, he’s a little more lightweight than the other 2 as he’s got the agility to play a LBer role but lacks top end speed to close in space that Nwosu and Mafe have. But going back to last year post-draft deep dive and similar to Taylor and Robinson, Smith looks more comfortable attacking from the LOS than he does from space.

Wagner is Wagner, he’s going to be a force to be reckon with no matter what. But Brooks probably won’t be ready until mid-season, and while I think he can handle being a MLB, that injury is going to be a setback to that growth. And the way Carroll plays his WLB before the 3-4, these guys are asked more or are in a better position schematically to seek and destroy, run and flow to the ball carrier rather than fill gaps and blow up the point of attack. So the 4-3 WLB is actually perfect for what Devin Bush as shown, he’s quick to the ball, physical on the tackle, he’s just can’t do effectively through a block or really hold down a gap like a true 3-4 ILB should be capable of. But put him a position to be a just heat seeking missle and he could be an awesome player. Brooks working back from injury, WLB is a good spot for him too.

At this point I have no clue what scheme alignment the Seahawks are going to run. But the way they are set-up as of now they look like they can go either direction. However, I can see why and how they can go back to 4-3 with what they have and why it makes sense.

I also think this draft is deeper with more 4-3 capable players, you got players that can play 3-4 but it seems like you’ll have to reach for those types of players if you really want them. That draft is stronger in 4-3 type pass-rushers that it is in 3-4 type rushers. And it seems like most of the guys that you’d want as 3-4 type ends could make solid 1 or 3 techs and it opens up the board for some DTs that only make sense in a 4-3 like Kancey. Even guys like Carter, Breese, Benton, Dexter, Pickens, Coburn probably make for better 1 techs than they would 0 or 5 techs. But most importantly the 4-3 alignment takes the pressure off of needing a true 2 gapping nose guard in a draft that really doesn’t provide that type of quality. You have Smith and Ika. With Ika’s skill set shading more as 1 tech or a big ass 3 tech than 0 tech despite his size.

The 4-3 is also a better fit if you’re wanting a reunion with guys like Ford and Clark if they can free up the money to do so.

And again I think the attempt to transition to the 3-4 was specifically to build a defense around Adams and put him in the opportunity to effectively play to his strengths like he did with the Jets. I think they still have an opportunity for him like in a “spinner” type pass rush specialist ala Irvin in 2013 but I don’t think they want to make the same mistake of scheming a defense around one player and have that guy be unavailable.

Frankly, to me they are more set-up right now to run a 4-3 than they are 3-4. And the draft is more set up for them in quantity and quality to draft 4-3 bodies.

And again I’m not pulling one way or the other, if it were up to me I’d want them to build as much as a dynamic defense as possible that you can obtain in this draft and post draft free agency. Im not looking for a singular static scheme but a multiple one that can adapt and adjust to offenses accordingly and attack them effectively from different looks, different fronts, different alignments.
And Bobby with the rams played ILB and still did one of the best jobs in the NFL at it.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
You know my friend, I think you and I are kind of arguing the same point from two different sides of the coin. I bolded part of your last paragraph because it was actually almost word-for-word what I said in the opening paragraph of my post you're responding to.

I think you and I both, and I think most likely along with Pete and Hurtt as well, want the scheme, their alignments, and their coverages to be multiple. This makes them a tougher match up on a game to game basis as they can tailor strategies accordingly.

You think this means they'll be making a wholesale change back toward a 43 scheme at their base, and I disagree. But you have made some compelling arguments as to how and why they could make that switch. And if there's one thing I agree with, it's that of they were going to move back to a 43 this would be the time for it.

All I can really say, is we'll certainly have some more data points to work off of in a few hours, so I gues we'll see then! We have such a beautiful opportunity to really put some great pieces on this roster, I'm going to be happy camper either way.

Latest posts