Ge=nooooo!

sutz

Reaction score
I wasn't realy suprised to see them come out a little flat. All the ingredients were there for a let down game. Big emotional win, Monday night game/short week, early road game in the Eastern time zone, Geno coming off a 2 game hiatus.

No surprise to me it took them a bit to get going.
I really hope Waldron and Dickerson are canned at year end. I'd like to see them go toward more gap running to suit guys like Bradford inside. Whole offense can open up if we establish identity. Get a bit cleaner in the passing game. All that. Hurts for me to say, as Waldron was a guy I wanted in the offseason and I got him, and Dickerson is literally from up the street from me in lil ol' Delaware. I wanted those guys to succeed as much as anyone else, but it's just way too sloppy at this point even if there are moments of brightness. We can't compromise on the details, and these guys aren't orchestrating a coherent unit.
I disagree. Personally, I see improvement in a very young team. We have good vets in key places, but we're relying on a lot of 1-2 year players just coming into their own. Look at Mafe...2d year guy who is starting to produce at a high level. JSN is a rookie who is starting to look like a budding star. The list goes on and on.

Earlier in the year we were praising Dickerson for maintaining the OL with bailing wire and duct tape. Now you want to dump him as they really start to come together? Not buying that train ride. With two young tackles and a rookie center who hasn't got to play much yet I see a pretty bright future up front.

I think the future is bright with this offense and I'd hate to tear it up right now when it is just coming together.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I wasn't realy suprised to see them come out a little flat. All the ingredients were there for a let down game. Big emotional win, Monday night game/short week, early road game in the Eastern time zone, Geno coming off a 2 game hiatus.

No surprise to me it took them a bit to get going.

I disagree. Personally, I see improvement in a very young team. We have good vets in key places, but we're relying on a lot of 1-2 year players just coming into their own. Look at Mafe...2d year guy who is starting to produce at a high level. JSN is a rookie who is starting to look like a budding star. The list goes on and on.

Earlier in the year we were praising Dickerson for maintaining the OL with bailing wire and duct tape. Now you want to dump him as they really start to come together? Not buying that train ride. With two young tackles and a rookie center who hasn't got to play much yet I see a pretty bright future up front.

I think the future is bright with this offense and I'd hate to tear it up right now when it is just coming together.
Sorry, but this offense doesn’t look like it is “coming together” “little slow” isn’t a one game happenstance either. It’s been the default since the first few games of the season.

Waldron at the very least needs to go. Sometimes addition by subtraction is just what the doctor ordered.

keasley45

Reaction score
Sheesh, I feel every back up in the NFL can do what Geno is doing right now. Just look at how many backup Qbs are playing and having success. With our wepons on offense we could have Nick Mullens looking like he should be a starter. Just my op🤷‍♂️

I seriously don't get posts like this one. I wasn't aware of this, but if Geno throws one more go ahead 4th qtr TD this year, he will set the single season record. He is currently tied for first with 6. 7, and he stands alone in league history.

Last year, despite getting MVP pub, folks around here claimed he wasn't a good fit because he wasn't clutch. Didn't matter that he was leading the league in completion percentage, difficult throws, etc. He wasn't 'clutch'.

This year through the first half dozen or so games, the chatter was the same because of late qtr losses and failed scoring drives, despite him having already beat Detroit in dramatic fashion - a team now vying for the #1 overall seed.

Sunday, he again throws for 70% completion and 2 TDs against the NFLs #1 redzone defense - a defense that rarely ever allows passing redzone TDs.

And STILL there are posts claiming the dude isn't this or that.

He holds franchise records for his performance last year.

HE took us to the playoffs last year.

If we go again, he will be a huge oart of the reason we are there. Not our run game. It stinks. Not our defense - still a work in progress. And not our playcalling- Waldron can be a moron of a field general at times.

HE took us on the game winning drive Sunday and over the season, hes brought us back in the 4th qtr... So many times in fact that if he does it again, he'll be the only qb to have as many in a season.

From SI:

Further demonstrating his capabilities in the clutch, per the Elias Sports Bureau, Smith's two go-ahead touchdowns in the fourth quarter on Sunday gave him six such passes this season, tying him for the most in a season in NFL history. His three go-ahead touchdown passes inside a minute to play during the 2023 season also is tied for the most in league history.

And folks want to just yank him for some rook? Or pull him for Lock?

Ridiculous.

Blind. Jaded And Ridiculous.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno has 47TDs, 20Ints, and 68% completions over the past two years. He might make back-to-back playoff appearances. And we still get posts like this.
He's averaging 1-2 td's a game. So yes, these posts will continue unless he improves.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
He's averaging 1-2 td's a game. So yes, these posts will continue unless he improves.

Improves to what? Are we expecting Mahomes-lite on a mid tier contract? Talk about delusions of grandeur.

And I fully believe the red zone woes are 99% Waldron. The plays are unimaginative, the route concepts simple, the run blocking abysmal. I doubt even Mahomes would thrive in this offence.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Improves to what? Are we expecting Mahomes-lite on a mid tier contract? Talk about delusions of grandeur.

And I fully believe the red zone woes are 99% Waldron. The plays are unimaginative, the route concepts simple, the run blocking abysmal. I doubt even Mahomes would thrive in this offence.
Thanks for making my point. He's a mid level player, and we're acting like that's going to get us to the promised land. Can it? Very rarely. In my opinion, we shouldn't settle for mid level. That's all I'm saying. He's the horse we have in the stable, but I'd like to see us get a thoroughbred. Sue me.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Playing QB in the NFL is HARD Geno has movements of brilliance followed by average play. Comparing Geno with Lock, Geno is more careful with the ball and is a good deal more accurate than Lock though Lock’s accuracy could be improved with more actual real playing time. At present though Geno is superior to Lock and despite the frustrations others and at times myself have with him, and with what I believe is a slower ability to go through his progressions than Lock he has ability to close and that is attractive.

Lock to me is a more dynamic player, and able to run with the ball , despite the scheme limitations, but at times more reckless and that is why Geno starts ahead of him. I suspect the team would really like to keep Lock and may decide Geno is worth trading to acquire some trade piece(s),then going with Lock and a rookie QB. Next offseason will be interesting. The above is of course just my opinion.

OP
OP
Fresno Hawk

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I don't know where the sack-taker narrative comes from. He takes less on average than he should, and he regularly displays adept to perfect pocket navigation.

This is very, VERY good predictive negotiation of the space in the pocket. With the game on the line.

🥱

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No QB in the league is averaging over 2TDs per game. So, those posts will continue to look ridiculous if that's their rationale.
I want to highlight this reply, because it is a very clear example of reality in a sea of unrealistic expectations.

It is extremely possible that not a single QB will finish the season as a full time starter having averaged 2 TD passes per game.

Dak Prescott is the only player to average 2 per game currently, and he is averaging EXACTLY 2.00 per game at this current moment.

Kirk Cousins was above this metric when he went down for the year at 18 TDs over 8 starts.

That's it. That's the list. Dak Prescott at 2.00, and Kirk Cousins who only played 8 games.

If averaging 2 is unacceptable, then no one is acceptable. Geno, of course, is not near averaging 2 - but still, placing that expectation upon any quarterback is gonna be a fools errand.

The key will be to find a way to reduce Geno's attempts. Offense needs to balance itself. Outside of Dak, the other two guys highest in TD% happen to be the guys who throw the least often in the league among full-time starters. That's Wilson, and that's Purdy. That's what moving the ball through means other than heavy passing get you - efficiency.

Get somebody in here that calls to pound the mf rock more, and we're in business.

12forlife

Reaction score
Geno has 47TDs, 20Ints, and 68% completions over the past two years. He might make back-to-back playoff appearances. And we still get posts like this.
Another one relying on genos #'s last year? This season 13 games 17 TD 3 fumbles, still taking to many sacks. Yeah glad we could limp into the playoffs and get our teeth kicked in, and if we luck out into the playoffs this year with similar results. Let me know when GeNo actually beats a real Defense, and not just limping past lesser opponents.

knownone

Reaction score
Another one relying on genos #'s last year? This season 13 games 17 TD 3 fumbles, still taking to many sacks. Yeah glad we could limp into the playoffs and get our teeth kicked in, and if we luck out into the playoffs this year with similar results. Let me know when GeNo actually beats a real Defense, and not just limping past lesser opponents.
Geno beat the #1 defense (DVOA) in the league this season.

As for the rest of your argument, Geno's above average in most categories. Sure, his counting stats are not great, but he's played the 2nd toughest schedule, battled through three separate injuries, and is still on a per/game adjusted pace of 24TDs and 12Ints.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Browns have a real defense. He also had a game winning drive against them.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Geno isn't as good as Tom Brady was and a 6th Round pick use up a lot less cap space than Geno so it is obvious we should just get the next Tom Brady with our 6th Round pick in the 2024 draft.

Seriously Geno is probably ranked about 12-15 on this seasons performance, he is quite able to lead us to the play-offs but we will be rank outsiders to win the superbowl. A lot of people on this forum have got blarsee of making the play-off and demand more, Superbowl winning teams usually either have one ofthe best 2 or 3 QBs in the league (which I can't see Geno ever being) or have a decent QB on a rookie contract and then fill the roster with talent, it is therefore easy to say to take the next step we need to get a rookie QB to replace Geno.

The problem is you can never tell who a Rookie will turn out in the NFL. Teams like the Jets and Browns burnt high pick after high pick trying to get their QBOTF, (and have now both tried to go the "one of the best 2 or 3 QBs in the league" route). Drafting a QB and cutting Geno might make us suprbowl contenders if we get the next Brady, or even someone like Hurts but we are far more likely to end up with realising every November we have no chance of the play-offs for yet another season.

A lot of people on the forum were hoping we drafted Malik Willis at 9 in the 2022 draft, if we had done (and given it is hard to give up on a such a high draft pick) what would the forums be saying now?

12forlife

Reaction score
Geno beat the #1 defense (DVOA) in the league this season.

As for the rest of your argument, Geno's above average in most categories. Sure, his counting stats are not great, but he's played the 2nd toughest schedule, battled through three separate injuries, and is still on a per/game adjusted pace of 24TDs and 12Ints.
You realize that your commenting on a Browns team that was playing their 3rd string QB. Also in our house? Starting QB's piddle when the the noise picks up in Lumen.