For all those blaming Pete.....

RiverDog

Reaction score
I knew it looked weird, like he was going to punt it like you see some college teams punt. That explanation makes a lot more sense.

But I have to ask why? You have one of the best punters in the league, so why mess with success?

Scout

Reaction score
Defense needs to take care of business because you don't want a game decided by the mentally inept refs.

BASF

Reaction score
I knew it looked weird, like he was going to punt it like you see some college teams punt. That explanation makes a lot more sense.

But I have to ask why? You have one of the best punters in the league, so why mess with success?
The blocker in front of him got pushed backward. Doesn't want to hit him in the ass like the punter a couple of weeks ago.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
^ and then he tried to step out of it to get the kick away, but there was significant penetration from other rushers in his face before that could happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It kinda had the look of Pete telling Dickson BEFORE the penalty that if he saw an opening to run for the 1st, and Dickson did it anyway after the penalty.

Dickson doesn't ever go side rugby style punt, so it had the look of a fake.

So I'm not so sure I buy Pete saying it wasn't a fake. Maybe it SHOULDN'T have been after the penalty, but Dickson didn't get the memo.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Defense needs to take care of business because you don't want a game decided by the mentally inept refs.
Those "Mentally Inept Refs" weren't going to allow the Seahawks equality in that Stadium, no way, no how.
When they took away DK's touchdown on a phantom holding penalty on Cross...Took the ball away on a supposed fumble by DK when his forearm was clearly DOWN before the ball was pulled out, PROVES that they were NOT going to let the Seahawks win this game.
Yes, the Defense sucked for the most part, but the truth is, even if they had played decently, the Ref's would have just steered sh*t around for the Aint's to win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Those "Mentally Inept Refs" weren't going to allow the Seahawks equality in that Stadium, no way, no how.
When they took away DK's touchdown on a phantom holding penalty on Cross...Took the ball away on a supposed fumble by DK when his forearm was clearly DOWN before the ball was pulled out, PROVES that they were NOT going to let the Seahawks win this game.
Yes, the Defense sucked for the most part, but the truth is, even if they had played decently, the Ref's would have just steered sh*t around for the Aint's to win.

Cause the league..................loves Andy Dalton?

Definitely some sketchy calls, but same terrible defense, sloppy tackling, too many penalties, sacks given up, drops and special teams gaffes for me to blame the refs on this one.

Nunya

Reaction score
It kinda had the look of Pete telling Dickson BEFORE the penalty that if he saw an opening to run for the 1st, and Dickson did it anyway after the penalty.

So I'm not so sure I buy Pete saying it wasn't a fake. Maybe it SHOULDN'T have been after the penalty, but Dickson didn't get the memo.
Dickson is know to have a multiple kicking styles which are quite impressive. This is that guy that has done at least 2 drop kicks and the only punter that has ever punted twwice on the same play. Is it really that much of a stretch to think the play was design for him to kick it rugby sytle?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Dickson is know to have a multiple kicking styles which are quite impressive. This is that guy that has done at least 2 drop kicks and the only punter that has ever punted twwice on the same play. Is it really that much of a stretch to think the play was design for him to kick it rugby sytle?

But when he has he ever gone to the side when it was suppose to be a regular traditional punt? Why would he do that unless it was a called fake or on the 50 or something and he was trying to angle one out of bounds?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

That's still a horribly missed read by Dickson then, because he absolutely had no hole through which to run

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
They need to right click that play in the playbook and click delete.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That's still a horribly missed read by Dickson then, because he absolutely had no hole through which to run

He did it that one time and now thinks he's an athlete, which for as bad as Matt Millen is as a color guy him relentlessly ranking on Dickson for thinking he's a real football player was pretty funny.

But yes, I'm sticking with my spidey sense that Pete told him before the penalty to do a side rugby style kick and look for a lane to run to get the 1st, and Dickson got cocky and thought he could still do it after the penalty.

I can't remember one time he's gone side style for a traditional punt.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The blocker in front of him got pushed backward. Doesn't want to hit him in the ass like the punter a couple of weeks ago.
It still doesn't explain why we would attempt such a punt. I can't see that there was enough to gain to justify the risk of experimenting around with it by kicking it rugby style.

Hopefully, it's the last time they try it.

sutz

Reaction score
It still doesn't explain why we would attempt such a punt. I can't see that there was enough to gain to justify the risk of experimenting around with it by kicking it rugby style.

Hopefully, it's the last time they try it.
Been seeing it in college for a few years now. When the other guys' rush is getting too strong, you adjust the formation to block heavy to one side and the punter goes "rugby style" by stepping a bit to that side and kicking the ball almost on the move. That part of it is valid.

It being the first time in actual action I think Ryan got a little nervous looking at those guys rushing from the left and panicked a bit. I think he still could have gotten the kick off, but he didn't.

Pete said they'd been working on that for a while. It didn't work that time. Oh well. Trying to find someone to blame is kind of a lame fan excercise.

BASF

Reaction score
Been seeing it in college for a few years now. When the other guys' rush is getting too strong, you adjust the formation to block heavy to one side and the punter goes "rugby style" by stepping a bit to that side and kicking the ball almost on the move. That part of it is valid.

It being the first time in actual action I think Ryan got a little nervous looking at those guys rushing from the left and panicked a bit. I think he still could have gotten the kick off, but he didn't.

Pete said they'd been working on that for a while. It didn't work that time. Oh well. Trying to find someone to blame is kind of a lame fan excercise.
Not Ryan, Dickson.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Cause the league..................loves Andy Dalton?

Definitely some sketchy calls, but same terrible defense, sloppy tackling, too many penalties, sacks given up, drops and special teams gaffes for me to blame the refs on this one.
The FAKE HOLDING CALL on Cross says that YOU are mistaken about shitty Ref calls.
RE Watch that play in particular, and you'll clearly see that the Ref was BEHIND Cross, and could NOT HAVE SEEN a hold from there, yet it was his damned yellow rag that got thrown.
The "BLAME" for that crap call should have gone to WHO if not the Ref then?
NO EXCUSES, Players aren't the only ones that screw up.

Latest posts