Favorite 2022 draft pick

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I know there are a few post draft threads but I’m curious as to who everyone’s favorite pick is. Mine is KWIII hands down. From watching his tape I think he’s really gonna be something special. I like most of the other ones but I think Walker is the cream that will rise to the top.

Jac

Reaction score
I love this draft because it accumulated a lot of foundational pieces (with real talent, not athletic projections). But my favorite is also far and away Walker. I think he has the makings of a star and being one of the next big things in the league. Coincidentally, this seems like the most criticized pick (value wise) in all the recaps. But all that goes out the window this upcoming season when he's making all the highlight reels.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for running backs. So my impulse is Walker. But I think Lucas is going to be great, and he'll be good pretty quickly. And that position has been a bit cursed for a while. Shell wasn't the worst of it, but he was replacement-level at too high of a cost.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I like CB Coby Bryant. He'll likely be motivated to prove other teams were wrong not to choose him before 109 - while his bookend Sauce Gardner was picked at number four.

Plus, he was endorsed by one of my favorite (former) Seahawks players Richard Sherman. He stated that we "got a steal".

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for running backs. So my impulse is Walker. But I think Lucas is going to be great, and he'll be good pretty quickly. And that position has been a bit cursed for a while. Shell wasn't the worst of it, but he was replacement-level at too high of a cost.
Right there with you. Walker is going to be fun to watch while Lucas should prove a foundational player for the franchise.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
My first choice also is Walker. So excited to see him get the ball in his hands and see what happens.

But to spice up the thread I will say Tariq Woolen. 6'4" corner running a 4.26 40. What?? And he's a former receiver. What an intriguing pick!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hard to say right now. My favorite players usually lean more towards their personality or how hard they hit/play, rather than just production.

So this might change, but as of now probably Mafe. In the dictionary under "Twitch" is a picture of Mafe. Dude's a freak, so I expect lots of WOW plays out of him to endear himself to the fans.

Also a tragic story losing his mom to cancer a couple years ago. So seems like a very easy guy to root for.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It speaks volumes about this draft class that there is not a wrong answer to this question.

Boye Mafe seems to be getting the least hype overall based on his draft position and that alone is remarkable. He's an edge rusher who ran 4.53 at 6'4" 261 lbs. His RAS (9.91) was the 14th best over the last 25 years of tracking data. He has as much upside as anybody in the draft class and is a great gamble at the 40th overall pick.

In previous years, Mafe would be the silver lining fans would be consoling themselves with after not liking the rest of the team's picks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The first 5 guys the Seahawks drafted are all going to have significant impact. Furthermore, I could see all the guys the Seahawks drafted make the 53 man roster. However, my favorite is Boye Mafe. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tyreke Smith’s 40 of 4.86s at first glance made him one of the least unappealing prospects drafted in this Class. And his 34 inch Vert and 9’09” Broad didn’t really stand out especially compared to Mafe.

Then I saw he put up 4.24 Shuttle and 7.06 3-Cone and to put that in perspective Tariq Woolen at 40-50 pounds less put up a 4.3 shuttle and 7.10 cone. That’s pretty impressive agility and lateral movement.

Then actually seeing some of his tape and highlights, I saw a bit of Bennett, bit of Avril, bit of Clemons in his game. When Smith won his battles, there was no wasted movements just a perfect combination of finesse and violence.

At some point I don’t know if it was the sleeves, the palindrome jersey number, the length, Ohio St’s silver looking a bit gold on low brightness and low video quality, or maybe just the name but I started getting some serious Aldon Smith vibes. Which made me look up Aldon’s own combine/pro day numbers and was surprised how well they compared:

A. Smith (T. Smith)

Ht: 6042 (6033)
Wt: 263 (255)

Hand: 9 3/4 (10 1/4)
Arm: 35 3/8 (33 3/4)
Wing: 83 7/8 (80 7/8)

Electronic
40: 4.82 (4.86)
20: 2.79 (2.84)
10: 1.68 (1.72)

Hand-Held
40: 4.74 (4.75)
20: 2.70 (2.75)
10: 1.66 (1.67)

Vert: 34.5 (34)
Broad: 9’10 (9’09)

Shuttle: 7.50 (7.24)
3-Cone: 7.19 (7.06)

They’ve also shared similar strengths and weaknesses in their games. Both had high-remarks for their pass-rush ability and agility and some criticism on their explosion, strength, and run defense.

Obviously, I’m not saying Tyreke Smith is going to be as dominate as Aldon Smith was when he had his head right and was on the field. Tyreke was a 5th round pick for a reason, Aldon Smith was a top 10 pick for a reason. I’m just saying the best of what I saw (aside from other things) from Tyreke took me back to prime Aldon and that analysis was even more cemented with comparing their athletic and scouting profiles.

Tyreke Smith has a long ways to go in terms of refining and maximizing his tools and building up his strength profile to NFL standards. But I get why a lot of draftniks think he has massive untapped potential and if he can grow and improve and put out a more consistent product Tyreke Smith has the ability and ceiling to be a dominate player.

And that’s how after a deep dive one night probably my least favorite prospect after the draft became maybe my top favorite out of a lot of quality players to like even though Abe Lucas was the one guy I had to have in all mock scenarios.

toffee

Reaction score
For Tariq.
TraiqShermFlower
Height6'4"6'3"6'3"
Weight205 lbs195 lbs202 lbs
Arms33 5/8"32"33 7/8"
Hands9 1/8"9 3/4"9"
Wingspan78" 5/8"78"79 3/8"
40 yards4.264.544.45
Bench121618
Vertical jump42"38"34.4"
Broad jump131125"122
3 cones7.16.727.17
10 yards split1.491.561.53
20 yards split2.492.562.58
20 yards shuttle4.294.334.34

Sherm's 3 cones result was quite outstanding for his height, and he had/has superior football IQ and skills. I am hoping Tariq can follow Sherm's footsteps.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Plain and simple, it's gotta be Cross.

An adept pass protector with insane mirroring and recovery ability. A premium talent at a premium position.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cross is the must not fail rookie,
It would've thrown a huge wrench in the whole class if he was gone, which he really should've been. One of those three tackles falling to 9 was exactly what they needed.

Otherwise, I assume they would've traded out to pick up some value and grab their top rusher in Ebiketie. A franchise tackle was the only real thing there worth sticking at 9 for - the rest of the pieces they needed would be there later.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Cross. Walker will make the highlight reels, and Tariq could {hopefully} be the next Sherm, and so on, but years from now, I'm hoping we will look back and say that Cross is/has been the cornerstone player that makes everything else work.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Just because nobody else has mentioned him yet, I'm going with Bo Melton because of his potential as a punt returner, and his jet sweeps and reverses in college.