Fant

A-Dog

Reaction score
1. Had a tough matchup and did okay from what I could tell, certainly miles better than what we saw last week

2. Anyone know what his injury is?

massari

Reaction score
Another decent game for Fant at LT. He's looked pretty good since his very bad first half in his first LT start against the Browns.

Starting to think the Hawks will pay him, and be more of a priority over Ifedi with his ability to play both T spots.

knownone

Reaction score
Fant was a capable starter which feels like an upgrade over last week. He still looks like a guy who could flourish with a bit more experience. It's just hard to imagine him getting that experience with Brown on the team. And honestly, if they plan on replacing Ifedi with him, then It should be a permanent move. Fant needs to settle into one position and get playing time. Juggling him between multiple spots will only hurt his development.

It kind of looked like he came down awkwardly on his ankle. I don't think Pete mentioned him in his press conference, and he played the next 3 snaps. So, I would assume it's not a long term concern... but we'll see.

sutz

Reaction score
I think Fant is the long term answer at LT. Brown can't play forever. IIRC, he's older than Walt was when he hung them up. DeMarco is more of an inside guy, isn't he?

Have loved Fant as the 6th OL/swing guy the past year or so, but if we let him settle in, I suspect he could be good.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
This might be crazy talk, but Brown will be 35 next year, coming off injury, with an $8.5M cap savings if cut. Could he be a cap casualty if the team thinks his knee problems are going to continue to be troublesome?

Fant is a UFA, as is Ifedi. Fant might want to leave to get a starting role somewhere else.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A-Dog":1y9ujk7y said:
This might be crazy talk, but Brown will be 35 next year, coming off injury, with an $8.5M cap savings if cut. Could he be a cap casualty if the team thinks his knee problems are going to continue to be troublesome?

Fant is a UFA, as is Ifedi. Fant might want to leave to get a starting role somewhere else.

I think we can sign Fant for a pretty low 2-3 year deal. He hasn't stayed healthy OR had enough starts to warrant any team giving him big money in free agency.

Ifedi? Good riddance, tired of him costing us 3-4 sacks and false starts every game.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
I think Fant may get a pretty decent deal. He's 27 years old, just entering his prime years, with elite physical gifts, some starting experience at a premier position and still plenty of upside due to being a late bloomer since he was converted from tight end. He hasn't missed a game the past two years. With the lack of quality linemen in the league I'm sure there he'll get some solid interest.

chris98251

Reaction score
A-Dog":2dtrmp90 said:
I think Fant may get a pretty decent deal. He's 27 years old, just entering his prime years, with elite physical gifts, some starting experience at a premier position and still plenty of upside due to being a late bloomer since he was converted from tight end. He hasn't missed a game the past two years. With the lack of quality linemen in the league I'm sure there he'll get some solid interest.

If he keeps playing like last night yes he will, not a world beater to be sure, he has been used as a TE a lot more then a Lineman, that first year when he got injured he was slated to be our LT, just never really got back over there after the injury.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
sutz":16kk2guf said:
I think Fant is the long term answer at LT. Brown can't play forever. IIRC, he's older than Walt was when he hung them up. DeMarco is more of an inside guy, isn't he?

Have loved Fant as the 6th OL/swing guy the past year or so, but if we let him settle in, I suspect he could be good.

We definitely need a Walter Jones type to take over for Brown and have Fant take over RT.