Ex Brown DT Rubin Signed by Seahawks

Ozzy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ely7l55 said:
austinslater25":1ely7l55 said:
He's been hurt. I think he surprises some people this year.
Circuitous homer logic. Unger was expendable because he has been injured the last two years in the eyes of many fans, but Rubin will be much better than he has been the last two years because he has been injured.

I would buy a guy being miscast in a 3-4. A sudden end to foot issues for a big man is a bit too much faith for me.

So no one ever gets over injury issues to be productive? Not sure I buy that logic either. Comparing this to the Unger situation doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. The reason Unger's injury history was brought up was because people were weighing the totality of the trade and of course you had to factor it in.

I do agree with you about being a little skeptical because of the foot issues. But for the price and as a depth move I think the risk is warranted. It's not like we are dumping 10+ million into him.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ck0jrz7 said:
austinslater25":3ck0jrz7 said:
He's been hurt. I think he surprises some people this year.
Circuitous homer logic. Unger was expendable because he has been injured the last two years in the eyes of many fans, but Rubin will be much better than he has been the last two years because he has been injured.

I would buy a guy being miscast in a 3-4. A sudden end to foot issues for a big man is a bit too much faith for me.
No it's not. The two situations couldn't be more different but if you want to paint with broad strokes then you can do that, but still very, very wrong

Ozzy

Reaction score
Scott was against the Graham trade so he's lashing out. Understandable :sarcasm_on:

Largent80

Reaction score
There isn't an argument to be had. He was an available lineman and they signed him. Every player has injuries at one time or another. But it is good to get someone with experience that can fit into the rotation. Obviously, not many of us here know of him as who watches Cleveland games?

I hope it doesn't end Mebane run with us because he has been very steady for years, and he has put a lot of work in rehabbing .

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Like this signing. Depth for the meat wagons is always a good thing.

And those guys always seem to find a little in the tank and make plays. Hargrove, Branch, Williams, etc etc

ivotuk

Reaction score
Rubin had an ankle injury late in the season. He missed the final game of the season because of it. He also had a back injury at some time during the season but I could only find one reference to it so it probably wasn't that big of a deal.

An ankle injury isn't always that bad, at least not as bad as a foot injury can be, so I think he will be fine.

Rubin played on the #32 ranked run defense and watching clips on him, it looks like he's the only guy who got regular penetration. He was certainly the only guy who hustled from beginning to end and the guy got a lot of tackles for just that reason, dragging players down from behind. Not bad for a 320# DT,

I think it was Holmgren who gave him a 3 year, 26.5 million dollar contract with 18 million guaranteed.

As to his attitude and loyalty:

"Still, he had hoped to finish his career with the Browns, the only NFL team he's ever played for.

"I never want to quit on something I started,'' he said in December. "I came here, started something with this D-line, with this team, and I want to finish it. I'm definitely not a quitter. I see us heading in the right direction, and I just want to be on board for that.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... rms_w.html

"After ascending to a full-time starting role in 2010, Rubin put together back-to-back seasons of 82 tackles, picking up 7.0 sacks combined in 2010 and 2011."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2015 ... 31361101=0

I'm not worried about his injuries because I don't think Cleveland takes as good of care of their players as Pete Carroll does. Pettine was desperate for wins so would likely start his best players no matter what their health. And on the Seahawks, Rubin won't be the only one hustling throughout the play. He is finally on a team that fits his playing style.

"Coach Mike Pettine said Rubin went for a second opinion on an injured ankle. He has missed the last two games.
Pettine was asked if surgery could be a possibility. Rubin “I would think all options are on the table at this point,” he said. “I haven’t heard that brought up yet, but I’m assuming that could be the case.”"

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... -bum-ankle

Reaction score
I just read on a Browns board that the Browns picked him with the pick we gave them for Charlie Frye.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
JTB":3c1djokm said:
I did a little research on him and apparently he was never as productive once they went from a 4-3 to the 3-4. Also sounds like he was injured last season.

I trust in JS/PC to have a productive role for him if signed.

That is my understanding as well.
Many of the Brown's fans I saw rated him as a solid run blocker, taking up double teams often, but being unable to shed the dbl team. High motor, good teammate, plays to the whistle.
Perfect for our team.

kearly

Reaction score
I have a bad feeling this move was made to put Brandon Mebane over a barrel in negotiations later this Spring. If this deal in any way makes Mebane not a Seahawk in 2015, I think that would be a mistake.

Regarding Unger and Rubin, I get what Scotte is saying, but I don't think it quite reaches the level of circuitous logic. Rubin was brought in on the cheap. Unger was sold at high value, a key part of the offseason's biggest trade. Had talks for Graham never happened, Unger would probably still be here. It's not like Unger was jettisoned or made expendible. The Saints wanted Unger a LOT, and the Seahawks wanted Graham a LOT. So a deal happened that made Unger go away. Even if Unger were healthy the last two years, that deal might still have happened.

I hope this all works out. I will miss Kevin Williams and am still rooting for him to get one more year with us.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2sv21tkm said:
I have a bad feeling this move was made to put Brandon Mebane over a barrel in negotiations later this Spring. If this deal in any way makes Mebane not a Seahawk in 2015, I think that would be a mistake.

Regarding Unger and Rubin, I get what Scotte is saying, but I don't think it quite reaches the level of circuitous logic. Rubin was brought in on the cheap. Unger was sold at high value, a key part of the offseason's biggest trade. Had talks for Graham never happened, Unger would probably still be here. It's not like Unger was jettisoned or made expendible. The Saints wanted Unger a LOT, and the Seahawks wanted Graham a LOT. So a deal happened that made Unger go away. Even if Unger were healthy the last two years, that deal might still have happened.

I hope this all works out. I will miss Kevin Williams and am still rooting for him to get one more year with us.
I was more mocking the way many fans spin things so they can feel good about whatever the front office is doing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
austinslater25":1aiqwhf2 said:
Scott was against the Graham trade so he's lashing out. Understandable :sarcasm_on:
Not for or against. I'm just not changing my opinion of a player who leaves or arrives just because he is now a hawk or is no longer a hawk.

And good sarcasm needs no signage.

drdiags

Reaction score
From that clip he appears to be able to get to the QB, but he does seem to be a few yds off the line when he is making the run stops. I hope the team can get the Banger to hang(er). Rubin seems like a decent enough pick up for the price.

Would also like to see K Williams back but at 35 maybe he should consider what the gain vs pain is. Surprised to hear he would consider coming back here after getting to the door step of a SB championship and lose it like the team did. It isn't like he has a ton of loyalty to the Seahawks, since he was a Viking for all those years.

He still has to be kicking himself for not taking the Pats over the Seahawks last year. Need a better crystal ball.

hawksurething

Reaction score
ivotuk":1nwl4rd0 said:
I love this guy and think he has been the victim of a poor team and average coaching.

6'2" 325 and his stats are amazing, especially for playing on a crappy team. I'll stick with Holmgren on this one and say that Cleveland was foolish to let him go.

I predict that he will be a force in the middle and 5 games in to the season all the pundits will be asking "Who the hell is Ahtyba Rubin?

2011 his second year of starting 16 games he had 83 total tackles and 5 sacks!

After 7 years he has averaged 1.71 sacks per year (Mebane 1.75 over 8 years)

Rubin averaged 48 tackles per year (Mebane 40 tackles per year) while starting 75 games [Rubin averaged 10.7 games per year started], (Mebane 110 games started over 8 years, or 13.75 per year).

It's hard to make a direct comparison between teams, especially 2 teams as different as Seattle and Cleveland, but it gives us a rough idea of how well Ahtyba performs at the NFL level.

Like I said before, love this signing and believe he's going to be a steal. :th2thumbs:

http://www.nfl.com/player/ahtybarubin/1344/profile

Man I love people who lay down data & trys to puts things in perspective.

He was playing out of position too getting double teamed in the 3-4. With hawks he is 4-3 monster destroying single blocks to stop the run & get push in pass rush. He just not a sack artist of course but good sacks for a Nose tackle !

Pete/JS are amazing at FA dlinemen. I hope they never try to draft Dline again.

Go hawks.

Sac

Reaction score
hawksurething":3jfn2xzx said:
I hope they never try to draft Dline again.

Whoa there buddy, I'm pretty happy with Jordan Hill. If he hadn't gotten injured he'd have been a huge factor through the post season including the Super Bowl.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":2alx2ara said:

If Unger had been healthy the last couple years, I think the deal still would have happened too. But the Seahawks would have been able to keep their 1st round pick and trade a lower one. I think Unger's health was a point that lowered his value in negotiations even though the Saints wanted him so bad.

Seafan

Reaction score
I have to admit not knowing much about this guy and then after hearing some stuff from fans wasn't too impressed with the signing. I thought here's another camp body. However, the past two days I've heard some good stuff from people in the know (ie Not Cleveland Brown fans). Sounds like Pete and John know what they are doing, imagine that. I'm actually jacked about this now and I wouldn't have thought that just a couple days ago. Bonus, he doesn't count against the team for comp picks.

morgulon1

Reaction score
]
FlyHawksFly":pls5ody4 said:
Scottemojo":pls5ody4 said:
kearly":pls5ody4 said:

I was more mocking the way many fans spin things so they can feel good about whatever the front office is doing.

Why would you mock other fans for this signing or their reaction to it? We need d-lineman. Just because someone chooses to be optimistic about a signing does not equate to them blindly trusting the front office. I think it is worse to try and lump the two together as if Rubin and Unger are even in the sane sphere of conversation. Hoping a FA pickup gets healthy and contributes is not a bad thing.

At this point, I blindly trust our front office. They have assembled a champion right before our eyes. They are now going
about the unpopular task of keeping our roster at a high level. No one wants to see a popular player like Max Unger sent to New Orleans or cut one of seemingly the nicest guys in the world in Red Bryant. But people, you were screaming for a champion and this is what champions have to do as an organization. This front office will make decisions much like a world class chess player, they don't make sense until further along in the game. They think
Ayatollah Rubin is a good fit for the best defense in the NFL? I have a feeling they're right.