Ex Brown DT Rubin Signed by Seahawks

RockinHawks

Reaction score
When he came out of college, he was a very active player, likes to run, moves well for such a big man. I hope his strength is up, and his ankle is healed. This could be a great signing to help our DL depth.

mikeak

Reaction score
1 year deal - guy believes in himself and we are willing to let him prove it

Just need 2-3 of these guys per year. The ones that will play way better than what they are paid for and bring us back to superbowl over and over again

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well folks are saying he sucked the last 2 years. He played NT in the 3-4, which takes on 2 guys at a time, and doing that:

2014 28 tackles (all tackle stats are total tackles), 1 sack and 1 PD.
2013 52 tackles, 1 sack

That's pretty active for a 3-4 NT, and his stats a few years ago were off the charts if they were right.

2011 83 tackles, 5 sacks. Sounds a lot like a 3 tech there. If he's playing NT and getting 5 sacks, that's really impressive.
2010 82 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 PD, 1 INT.

Those are solo and assisted tackles, but that's still insane.

The way I read this, he's going 3 tech for us.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I have very limited knowledge of the Cleveland DL.

Most of the depth charts I looked up had Rubin listed as a NT.
PFF had him listed as a DE.

Assuming he did some of both?

Either way, I'm glad he's signed. Now we'll see what he can do. If he's healthy I see him contributing in the rotation.

Atradees

Reaction score
mikeak":ey21ivtl said:
1 year deal - guy believes in himself and we are willing to let him prove it

Just need 2-3 of these guys per year. The ones that will play way better than what they are paid for and bring us back to superbowl over and over again

Yes, because who will make your game look better than the Superb Owl Contender.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This is a great signing, Rubin is very underrated and was a monster of DT before the Browns switched to the 34.

In the 4-3, he was very active in his role and had a great nose for the football.

I think one guy above said he racked up 160 tackles in a two year frame. That's crazy.

And right now McDaniel and Mebane are slated as the starters, so you're taking Rubin and putting him a rotation. Most DTs tend to be much more consistent in a quality rotation.

I also saw Seahawks also re-signed D'Anthony Smith, who had a stellar pre-season last year before landing on I.R.

These rumblings could mean something is up with McD and Bane. One saves 3m and the other 5.5m respectively.

But they also remain two of the top 2016 comp eligible free agents...that is of course if the team elects to re-sign/extend:

Wilson, Wagner, Irvin, Okung, and Sweezy

chris98251

Reaction score
It seems the experts on defense that are condemning this guy are most likely the same ones that condemn Irvin, that condemned McDaniel, that condemned Clemons as a throw in to get rid of Tapp and Lawrance. That Williams was to old. Mebane is done and too expensive, said Hill can't play in this league.

I think I'll trust our current defensive expert Pete Carroll.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
chris98251":1piafaps said:
It seems the experts on defense that are condemning this guy are most likely the same ones that condemn Irvin, that condemned McDaniel, that condemned Clemons as a throw in to get rid of Tapp and Lawrance. That Williams was to old. Mebane is done and too expensive, said Hill can't play in this league.

I think I'll trust our current defensive expert Pete Carroll.
Yeah and it sounds like just go with the opposite of those posters to determine accuracy.

morgulon1

Reaction score
JTB":11nuporh said:
Hawkfan77":11nuporh said:
Wouldn't be the first time we signed a DL "with nothing left" only to see them have a good impact here.

I don't care what other fans say about players. Besides, he's only 28
:13:

The ability of fans to evaluate interior linemen on either side of the ball is usually awful.

You mean to say the .netters aren't as good as Pete Carroll and John Schneider at evaluating talent?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He played out a 4 year $26 mil contract. That is about Mebane money, Cleveland's management must have valued him if they signed him for overt $6 APY over 4 years ago. Bennett and Avail got $7mil per year and the cap has gone way up since 2011.

I think he could be a great fit and has a better chance to get a gig as our #2 DT than not make the roster.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Good pick up maybe. He will get out of that 3-4 def that did not suit him. Skins tried the same with haynesworth and ruined him. Some players are just comfortable at doing what they do best vs being forced into a position.

Rubin might be a star with the hawks ?! We will see come camp & game time.

Pete & JS might suck at drafting D-lineman,But the are amazing at picking free agent D-linemen !!!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Ya..in the 2010 and 2011 seasons, he had 82 and 83 combined tackles for the Browns. That's an awful lot for a DT. He seems like a very active DT to me. If he can get back to that, he would be a great addition. As is he's a nice add to the rotation.

hawksurething

Reaction score
hawkfan68":33wp47a4 said:
Ya..in the 2010 and 2011 seasons, he had 82 and 83 combined tackles for the Browns. That's an awful lot for a DT. He seems like a very active DT to me. If he can get back to that, he would be a great addition. As is he's a nice add to the rotation.

Exactly I was just about to say that. But you beat me to it. Good insight !

http://www.nfl.com/player/ahtybarubin/1344/combine

As we see he is a runstuffer ! He is not a sack guy or a guy to take on double teams in a 3-4. But He is a excellent 4-3 run stuffer in hawks scheme vs single !!!

Go Hawks !!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This signing is one of those deals that will infuriate some but is interesting in that he is hungry to win and be all that he can be. He does have some talent but has recently underachieved. Who knows if Rubin will resurrect his career this coming season, perhaps he will, but for sure I'd bet the farm this guy will give it all trying and the coaches will not misposition him on the DLine like others have done.

For me I'm very curious as to how he'll fit, but suspect the negativity about him is overstated. This FO has been very capable in recognizing misfit players they can refit to play their more natural position or game. This is an interesting signing which just might be a huge surprise. If nothing else if Mebane isn't completely better his replacement is now here, However Rubin may just be a special complement to Mebane and the replacement for McDaniel.

A different signing than I'd expected for sure. The one year deal is clearly a prove it deal but could be an interesting way to get another Bennett type break through talent. Both McDaniel and Mebane are FAs after this upcoming season and having Rubin here could allow the team an inside track at measuring the capability of a possible replacement. Wonder what his 1 year deal looks like?

Time will tell.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love this guy and think he has been the victim of a poor team and average coaching.

6'2" 325 and his stats are amazing, especially for playing on a crappy team. I'll stick with Holmgren on this one and say that Cleveland was foolish to let him go.

I predict that he will be a force in the middle and 5 games in to the season all the pundits will be asking "Who the hell is Ahtyba Rubin?

2011 his second year of starting 16 games he had 83 total tackles and 5 sacks!

After 7 years he has averaged 1.71 sacks per year (Mebane 1.75 over 8 years)

Rubin averaged 48 tackles per year (Mebane 40 tackles per year) while starting 75 games [Rubin averaged 10.7 games per year started], (Mebane 110 games started over 8 years, or 13.75 per year).

It's hard to make a direct comparison between teams, especially 2 teams as different as Seattle and Cleveland, but it gives us a rough idea of how well Ahtyba performs at the NFL level.

Like I said before, love this signing and believe he's going to be a steal. :th2thumbs:

http://www.nfl.com/player/ahtybarubin/1344/profile

ivotuk

Reaction score
Just watched the short videos on Rubin from the link above, he gets great pursuit and in one video, bull-rushed the LG back in to Luck who threw and INT to Gilbert. Good stuff :D

[youtube]i_kgC0nVa_A[/youtube]

chihawk

Reaction score
What's not to like....
1) 1-year prove it contract
2) He's still young
3) His best years were when he played in 4-3 and didn't do as well last couple of years in 3-4
4) Coming off of a down year because he played through injury pretty much all year and in 3-4.

This seems like the perfect type of player/situation that PC and JS snap up. I would be surprised if this guy doesn't become a good D-lineman for us this season.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
austinslater25":9upwx0n1 said:
He's been hurt. I think he surprises some people this year.
Circuitous homer logic. Unger was expendable because he has been injured the last two years in the eyes of many fans, but Rubin will be much better than he has been the last two years because he has been injured.

I would buy a guy being miscast in a 3-4. A sudden end to foot issues for a big man is a bit too much faith for me.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
ivotuk":gg7htizm said:
Just watched the short videos on Rubin from the link above, he gets great pursuit and in one video, bull-rushed the LG back in to Luck who threw and INT to Gilbert. Good stuff :D

TdTsLTN

Latest posts