ESPN: Seattle Worst Off Season of all

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It’s behind a paywall but the gist is:
1. We didn’t get enough for RW
2. We didn’t replace RW with a starting caliber QB
3. We drafted a RB waaaaaay too early
4. way overpaid for Dissly

one or two quotes. I think that’s allowed right?

as to drafting a RB
“Beyond the Wilson deal, the Seahawks further committed toward their philosophy of a 1970s offense.”

as to what we could have done better: “Well, they could have kept Wilson and fired Carroll. If the relationship between quarterback and head coach had deteriorated to the point where one had to go, Seattle made the wrong choice.”

a lot more than that but if the writer could have easily just read only my comments and written that article and it would have looked exactly the same.

sad times.

toffee

Reaction score
It’s behind a paywall but the gist is:
1. We didn’t get enough for RW
2. We didn’t replace RW with a starting caliber QB
3. We drafted a RB waaaaaay too early
4. way overpaid for Dissly

one or two quotes. I think that’s allowed right?

as to drafting a RB
“Beyond the Wilson deal, the Seahawks further committed toward their philosophy of a 1970s offense.”

as to what we could have done better: “Well, they could have kept Wilson and fired Carroll. If the relationship between quarterback and head coach had deteriorated to the point where one had to go, Seattle made the wrong choice.”

a lot more than that but if the writer could have easily just read only my comments and written that article and it would have looked exactly the same.

sad times.

A few on this forum could have written this article with more statistics and substance.

Fade

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks had their best draft in 10 years, only time will tell on that.

But I mostly agree. They've had a mostly bad off-season.

They didn't get enough for RW.

They didn't replace Wilson with the next guy. Though, they could do that next year.

Dissly is waaay overpaid. Again, they paid through the nose for a collection of JAGs. Similar to 2020. A waste.

I understand RB's grow on trees, it's getting harder and harder to justify taking them in the first 2 rounds. However, Kenny Walker is a special talent, so taking him early in the 2nd isn't something to criticize, especially when they were able to still get Abe Lucas in the 3rd. That was a real coo for the Hawks.

sdog1981

Reaction score
His major takeaway was they should have fired Pete and kept Wilson.

Barnwell is a numbers guy, so based off of historical trends coaches are easier to replace than players.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Walker looks like a good one. But again, not sure the rules work for great RBs to win anything without a great QB. Sorry.

In the regular season, sure. But otherwise, again, you are the Titans. (Cept the Titans have a better coach and QB than we do)

Most of our strengths center around being a team that can pass the ball. We have exceptions WRs. No QB though.

The only thing I can think of is that they either have a QB pegged they think they can get that can also be the franchise anchor for at least the next decade - or they have no clue.

For the most part, it was pretty p*ss poor moves by the Hawks. The draft looks OK. Need more time to evaluate. Hoping the coaching changes help. But it would be hard to not be better than 'one of the worst in the history of the NFL' so the DC move probably helps.

Without a Qb though, we almost need the other year to understand if there is any kind of hope.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If you're looking at solely the outlook for the 2022 season, sure. Probably not much of a chance to move towards a championship this year.

But anyone who says this team isn't poised for a better future than they were pre-trade is blowing smoke up your ass.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
We got one thread kvetching about our "starting" running back nursing a hammy. Our other "starting" running back is dead from the chin to the clavicle as far as we know. And now this thread referencing an article that bemoans our "wAy ToO eArlY" draft pick of a running back as a "commitment to a 70's era offensive philosophy" like quality depth isn't a ubiquitous concept in the NFL.

*sniff sniff* I love the smell of some fresh cognitive dissonance in the afternoon.

All these bullet points from the article read like hot takes from my drunk uncle. I'm glad I don't have ESPN+

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Seems like a short sighted take. Its only one offseason that should set up the next to return the team to relevance.

Not replacing RW this year was the smart move. There were no good solutions available and they resisted panicking.

Considering the no trade clause, they got what they could get. The decision to grant the clause belongs to the same front office, but not this off season.

Ditto Fade on KW.

My knee jerk reaction on Dissly was a solid WTF, however, I’m willing to see how it plays out considering I had the same reaction when they extended Lockett.

Fade

Reaction score
His major takeaway was they should have fired Pete and kept Wilson.

Barnwell is a numbers guy, so based off of historical trends coaches are easier to replace than players.
Not just historical trends, it is reality. Belichick is still the best to ever do it, but it's just not the same without Tom Brady. QB's are far more valuable than coaches.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
This is glorious, this is exactly a time capsule to 2010, 2011, right before 2012 and 2013, with a bunch of feisty younguns and supreme athletes at key positions. This is going to be so fun being back in South Alaska again! Matt Hasselbeck's glory days :)

CPHawk

Reaction score
I keep hearing the “didn’t draft a QB, or sign a starting QB,” excuse. But show me one starter we could have got or draft pick worth taking? It was arguably the worst QB draft in 15 years, and legit starters don’t just grow on trees in the FA market.

toffee

Reaction score
  1. interesting that ESPN believed we could have gotten more for Russ, and they were right. Commanders rumored to have offered more, but was vetoed by Russ. So that's that.
  2. ESPN also preached that we need to draft or sign a FA QB. drafting part, we shall see if any of the QBs that we passed on turned out to be all pros. But the FA part, what are they talking about?

Last edited:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Seahawk off seasons have been really really bad for years. Its why I agree that we made the wrong move moving on from Russ and keeping Pete. Because Pete has been a big part of that problem IMO.

flv2

Reaction score
Information:

ESPN's "paywall" is normally geo-locational. Set your VPN to UK, (or normally any European country that isn't using servers in the Netherlands), and the paywall disappears. @Shaggy doesn't like Dutch IPs either.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Before anyone whines that the Hawks didn't get enough...CHECK YOURSELF!

We have no clue about the extent of the hand injury, slowed running reasons or the mental state of Russ like the Seahawks do.

I hated the RB pick more than anyone...Spiller was my boy. But Walker is a stud and any position thats touching the ball 50% of the time is worth a 2nd round pick.