Eskridge

RiverDog

Reaction score
We have DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, JSN, and last year's surprise Jake Bobo. Each bring a different quality to the table.

So where does Eskridge fit in? What does he have that the others don't?

That's been one of my biggest beefs with Pete, is that he puts way too much emphasis on RB's and WR's and not enough on the big uglies. Let's just get this over with, cut Eskridge and wipe our hands clean, give the roster spot to some up-and-coming rookie, and move on. It's a new era.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, JSN, and last year's surprise Jake Bobo. Each bring a different quality to the table.

So where does Eskridge fit in? What does he have that the others don't?

That's been one of my biggest beefs with Pete, is that he puts way too much emphasis on RB's and WR's and not enough on the big uglies. Let's just get this over with, cut Eskridge and wipe our hands clean, give the roster spot to some up-and-coming rookie, and move on. It's a new era.
He has the ability to make yards after the catch and runs like a RB, but we now have RB's that can catch the ball and run like an RB. He doesn't have great hands really, he was supposed to be Golden Tate reincarnated. He would have injured himself in the Maple Bar rack at Top Hat even using that comparison.

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
As much as Eskridge hurt himself, he also suffered a great bit from Pete's tendency to not involve players who he felt were a high risk for errors. Shoot, not just players who had screwed up once or twice, Pete basically neutered our entire punt return game by having Dallas field returns when everyone knew that with him running it, we werent going to ever be much better than a fair catch. Pete just never trusted the punt return game much beyond waving your hand in the air to call fair, catching the ball, and tossing it to the ref.

And thats exactly where Eskridge could have done something.

But even last year when he got the ball twice on a drive against maybe the 9ers (cant remember exactly), both for our only positive plays, he was inexplicably yanked for the rest of the game.

Good on John for seeing the kids's potential. He's easily the most explosive WR on the field - he has small space quickness that none of the others do, and he's cheat-code fast. Dude just needs to figure out how to stay on the field and avoid mental lapses when he's there.
I agree with this. My gut feeling in some cases is Pete used the word "injury" as essentially his doghouse, and something with Dee rubbed Pete the wrong way. I have the same question on Kenny McIntosh never seeing a snap last year, when RB is easily one of the most rookie ready positions in the NFL.

Pete always talked about letting the rookies play so by the end of the season they were ready to go, when in these cases it's honestly inexplicable.

bileever

Reaction score
Eskridge has been a bust, and I have no trouble cutting ties with the guy at this point. And I do think he was a reach with the 56th pick, so I won't defend drafting him, but I understand the reasons for the pick, and I give you two words that will help you see what JS and the scouts were thinking: Tyreek Hill.

Tyreek Hill was not considered an NFL-level player, and no one expected him to be drafted until the Chiefs took him in the 5th round. He also went to a mid-major, West Alabama, and had a total of 27 catches in his last year. Eskridge is the same size as Hill (5' 9" and 190 lbs.) and is nearly as fast (4.29 v. 4.38).

Of course, there is only one Tyreek Hill, and Eskridge hasn't shown any sign of being anything close to him. But that's what JS was hoping for.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
His position since being drafted is on IR.

He’ll assume his continuous injured position on IR before the beginning of real football.

Keeping him around is evidence that the team (FO) still has a belief that his exceptional athletic ability that he was drafted for might still show up on Sundays. They’ve paid him as a 2nd round pick for doing not much so far.

Eskridge will continue to disappoint.

Seak

Reaction score
I think the only good play he did was a punt or kickoff return for some decent yardage.
That concussion he got on one of his first plays seemed to seal his fate.

The only thing is though, with a whole new coaching staff and philiosphy... who knows, I just wouldn't be worried about him suddenly becoming a star somewhere else

RiverDog

Reaction score
Eskridge has been a bust, and I have no trouble cutting ties with the guy at this point. And I do think he was a reach with the 56th pick, so I won't defend drafting him, but I understand the reasons for the pick, and I give you two words that will help you see what JS and the scouts were thinking: Tyreek Hill.

Tyreek Hill was not considered an NFL-level player, and no one expected him to be drafted until the Chiefs took him in the 5th round. He also went to a mid-major, West Alabama, and had a total of 27 catches in his last year. Eskridge is the same size as Hill (5' 9" and 190 lbs.) and is nearly as fast (4.29 v. 4.38).

Of course, there is only one Tyreek Hill, and Eskridge hasn't shown any sign of being anything close to him. But that's what JS was hoping for.
The problem I have is the position we were in during that draft. Not only did we not have a first-round pick, but we also just 4 picks in the entire draft, perhaps the fewest picks in any draft in team history. When you have that few of picks, you need to make the ones you have count. We couldn't afford to reach for a player.

Eskridge was our first overall pick in that draft, and we were already set at the position, so not only was he not the BPA, at least according to CW, but wide receiver was also not a position of need for us.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
His position since being drafted is on IR.

He’ll assume his continuous injured position on IR before the beginning of real football.

Keeping him around is evidence that the team (FO) still has a belief that his exceptional athletic ability that he was drafted for might still show up on Sundays. They’ve paid him as a 2nd round pick for doing not much so far.

Eskridge will continue to disappoint.
I saw him get blasted at the Colts game in his rookie year, it was very ugly.
Since then he's been hurt like Penny, Procise, Adams and Harvin.
Pete loved keeping, hyping and stringing oft injured players along, I hope that kind of
thing has ended.
A shiny toy that is broken does nothing but waste $$$ and a spot.

bileever

Reaction score
The problem I have is the position we were in during that draft. Not only did we not have a first-round pick, but we also just 4 picks in the entire draft, perhaps the fewest picks in any draft in team history. When you have that few of picks, you need to make the ones you have count. We couldn't afford to reach for a player.

Eskridge was our first overall pick in that draft, and we were already set at the position, so not only was he not the BPA, at least according to CW, but wide receiver was also not a position of need for us.
Totally agree. I certainly don't defend drafting Eskridge in any way, I'm just theorizing about how JS got there in the first place.

Of course, we all know that after we cut him, the Chiefs will pick him up and Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes will turn him into a superstar.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Totally agree. I certainly don't defend drafting Eskridge in any way, I'm just theorizing about how JS got there in the first place.

Of course, we all know that after we cut him, the Chiefs will pick him up and Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes will turn him into a superstar.
How do you know JS wanted him?
He seems like a Pete "love" pick - Trying to capture a Harvin type.

flv2

Reaction score
It costs nothing to have another look at Eskridge in preseason. If he shows nothing it costs nothing to move on from him. Equally if there's a zero cost UDFA the team wants to take a look at then he can have Eskridge's spot if all the roster spots are otherwise taken. Not a big deal either way. The mistake is to throw money at a vet who doesn't figure to crack the top 4 on the receiving depth chart.

bileever

Reaction score
How do you know JS wanted him?
He seems like a Pete "love" pick - Trying to capture a Harvin type.
True, we don't know who wanted Eskridge more. But it was documented in a Peter King article that I can no longer find that it was Schneider who went to Pete with the Harvin idea. This article below confirms that it was the Vikings who first approached Schneider to see if he was interested in Harvin.

But I wasn't saying that it was specifically Schneider who wanted Eskridge, just that the comparisons to Tyreek Hill may have been the underlying reason for whoever was infatuated with Eskridge, be it Pete, John or some scout in the scouting department.

As I said, I'm not defending the pick, I thought it was terrible then, and I think it's terrible now. Nor am I blaming any particular person for the pick, because I don't know who was ultimately responsible.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
...it was documented in a Peter King article that I can no longer find that it was Schneider who went to Pete with the Harvin idea. This article below confirms that it was the Vikings who first approached Schneider to see if he was interested in Harvin.
These two sentences together reveal nothing, really, other than the fact that that the Vikings made the first move. "Schneider [going] to Pete with the Harvin idea" sounds like he's just relaying the offer from the Vikings. There's no hint about who was the prime mover on the Seahawks side in that deal.

I know you're not arguing otherwise. I'm just giving my impression.

bileever

Reaction score
These two sentences together reveal nothing, really, other than the fact that that the Vikings made the first move. "Schneider [going] to Pete with the Harvin idea" sounds like he's just relaying the offer from the Vikings. There's no hint about who was the prime mover on the Seahawks side in that deal.

I know you're not arguing otherwise. I'm just giving my impression.
True, I agree. And it really must be the off season that we're digging so deep into the question of what to do with the 6th or 7th receiver on the depth chart, lol.

The Breh

Reaction score
Everybody gets a clean slate under a new regime.
I'm way more optimistic about the Grubb/Huff tandem than I ever was with Waldron.
This can very much be a boost for multiple players. DK, Eskridge, Charbs, Bobo, everyone.
There isn't a question about talent.