Eskridge

flv2

Reaction score
Eskridge was paid his signing bonus as a rookie. The $422K is a scheduled dead money hit. His salary has been cut to the vet minimum for a 3 year player. If the Seahawks asked for this without any guarantees he should have declined. There is zero value in having a non-guaranteed minimum wage contract with a team that doesn't want you, (and if the Seahawks pushed for him to take this cut then they don't). It would have been better for him to have been cut before the market opened so he could find a new home. The Seahawks appear to be f**king with him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It would have been better for him to have been cut before the market opened so he could find a new home.
Given his glaring lack of production and very limited availability, I'd rate Eskridge's likelihood of finding a new home as a solid, definite maybe.

flv2

Reaction score
Given his glaring lack of production and very limited availability, I'd rate Eskridge's likelihood of finding a new home as a solid, definite maybe.
I get the frustration with a busted 2nd round pick. If the Seahawks don't want him on the offseason roster with a non-guaranteed $1.4M contract then there's almost no chance he sticks at $1M. He'd be better off signing for $1M somewhere else with a $100K signing bonus and a clean slate. If he willingly takes a cut to vet minimum and still gets cut then no-one will offer him more than a tryout.

Jville

Reaction score
And yet all parties with skin in the game came to a revised agreement for 2024.

And maybe just maybe he likes his chances with Seattle and is motivated to overcome his career disappointments.

After all, he's got the experience of Tyler with him in a very promising group of wide receivers.

BASF

Reaction score
Eskridge is the gift that keeps on giving. The consternation here over him is tremendous comedy. The vitriol towards him is even funnier. He is not responsible for Creed Humphrey not being a Seahawk. Creed Humphrey is responsible for not being a Seahawk.

His injuries were not his fault either. It's comedy gold seeing some of you wring your hands regarding him. Making an example of this guy is hilarious. The NFLPA has something to say in regards to cutting players while they are injured. This season, he will probably be cut in camp and some of you will rejoice, which will also be belly laugh inducing.

Rat

Reaction score
Eskridge is the gift that keeps on giving. The consternation here over him is tremendous comedy. The vitriol towards him is even funnier. He is not responsible for Creed Humphrey not being a Seahawk. Creed Humphrey is responsible for not being a Seahawk.

His injuries were not his fault either. It's comedy gold seeing some of you wring your hands regarding him. Making an example of this guy is hilarious. The NFLPA has something to say in regards to cutting players while they are injured. This season, he will probably be cut in camp and some of you will rejoice, which will also be belly laugh inducing.
This is an impressively condescending post. What's your excuse for how Eskridge has performed when healthy? I'll bet it's positively gut-busting.

BASF

Reaction score
This is an impressively condescending post. What's your excuse for how Eskridge has performed when healthy? I'll bet it's positively gut-busting.
Why would I make an excuse for him? He was a poor choice from the jump, but the amount of hate he gets is ludicrous. Some of the posters who have piled on seem gimmicky. He was a Waldron pick as he was very analogous to Tavon Austin when drafted, but Waldron was never anywhere close to McVay's offensive mind to make use of him.

sutz

Reaction score
The guy had great speed when healthy. His problem was always staying on the field. Right now he's the WR4 at best, so he can't do a lot of damage. ;)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's painful for me to even think of Eskridge. He was our first pick in the 2021 draft, a draft where we didn't have a first rounder and only 7 picks overall and who do we draft? We side step Creed Humphrey, the best player available and at a position of need, and instead reach for a wide receiver where we already had two Pro Bowl players.
This is too much. Yes, Creed ended up quite good. But we did need WR, and we did have a decent starter at C in Pocic. The need at C was overstated. The need at WR was very understated, where Freddie "Not on an NFL roster in 2023" Swain was our starting WR3 and we had zero behind him. That's REALLY BAD on a team that runs primarily 11 personnel. WR3 is a starter! We had zero depth there and zero talent at WR3 to begin with.

It was a bad pick in hindsight. Yes. But there was a very legitimate need at WR3, and Pocic... yeah, he's a good center, which is exactly what I maintained in 2021. He should've been retained.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I smell hubris. Ala Collier. John needs people around him that call him on it. All good leaders do. Sunk cost has opportunity cost. I don't know why it's so hard to understand this.

Over the past two years, there's been at least 7 players that were more deserving of a roster spot that ended up being cut: Blount, Sutherland, Bell, Boykin, Nelson, Muse, Mabry, Eiland, Melton . . .

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I smell hubris. Ala Collier. John needs people around him that call him on it. All good leaders do. Sunk cost has opportunity cost. I don't know why it's so hard to understand this.

Over the past two years, there's been at least 7 players that were more deserving of a roster spot that ended up being cut: Blount, Sutherland, Bell, Boykin, Nelson, Muse, Mabry, Eiland, Melton . . .
I think I have to disagree on a couple. Muse and Eiland particularly are pretty bad players. Sutherland and Blount I can agree on, but I guess it was gonna be kinda hard to fit Blount on the roster over any of the other safeties.

RiverDog

Reaction score
This is too much. Yes, Creed ended up quite good. But we did need WR, and we did have a decent starter at C in Pocic. The need at C was overstated. The need at WR was very understated, where Freddie "Not on an NFL roster in 2023" Swain was our starting WR3 and we had zero behind him. That's REALLY BAD on a team that runs primarily 11 personnel. WR3 is a starter! We had zero depth there and zero talent at WR3 to begin with.

It was a bad pick in hindsight. Yes. But there was a very legitimate need at WR3, and Pocic... yeah, he's a good center, which is exactly what I maintained in 2021. He should've been retained.
It wasn't just about passing over Creed. Eskridge was our top pick in a draft where we had just 4 selections, and he was a bit of a reach, an undersized receiver coming out of a mid-major not known for their passing offense. He was not the BPA or a player who fell to us.

Sure, #3 wide receivers get a lot of snaps, more so than other backup positions. And, they're more likely to contribute on special teams. But we had bigger fish to fry with such limited resources. WR was not a position of need and he wasn't the BPA.

Besides, I always cringe when we spend high draft picks on WR's. Good ones are a dime a dozen. Our starting WR's in our Super Bowl years were both UDFA's. Same with Jake Bobo.

Last edited:

Seahawker

Reaction score
Maybe our #5 WR & assume Dee Jay's return duties. One things for sure, we've got bigger problems to solve than whether Eskridge pans out. That will play out in camp soon enough.

keasley45

Reaction score
As much as Eskridge hurt himself, he also suffered a great bit from Pete's tendency to not involve players who he felt were a high risk for errors. Shoot, not just players who had screwed up once or twice, Pete basically neutered our entire punt return game by having Dallas field returns when everyone knew that with him running it, we werent going to ever be much better than a fair catch. Pete just never trusted the punt return game much beyond waving your hand in the air to call fair, catching the ball, and tossing it to the ref.

And thats exactly where Eskridge could have done something.

But even last year when he got the ball twice on a drive against maybe the 9ers (cant remember exactly), both for our only positive plays, he was inexplicably yanked for the rest of the game.

Good on John for seeing the kids's potential. He's easily the most explosive WR on the field - he has small space quickness that none of the others do, and he's cheat-code fast. Dude just needs to figure out how to stay on the field and avoid mental lapses when he's there.