Earl Thomas looking for a comeback.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Looks like ol Earl wants back into the NFL after getting cut for punching a player in 2020 training camp. I wonder if anyone will take a chance on him? Feels like he could end up in Miami or the Jets

James in PA

Reaction score
A team would have to be pretty desperate to sign a guy who has missed 2 full seasons, can't get along with coaches and teammates, and will soon be 33.

sutz

Reaction score
Sad to see. He gave us a lot of good years, but the ending was ugly. Now he has behovioral issues.

toffee

Reaction score
He really should kiss up and mend fences with Pete and the 12s. Then finish his career with the Hawks; wouldn't it be something if we could have Earl and Sherm back at vet minimum?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Hopefully he just gets the middle finger from every team in the league. He is washed up and a shitty teammate. He should stick to tagging women with his brother.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
He CHOSE to act like an idiot. He was my favorite player before he just stopped being a team guy.

For some time Earl Thomas was my favorite NFL player.

Man, I loved watching that guy play. I never get tired of watching the video in which he hits Gronkowski, then the huge guy stays down, looking for the pieces of his soul that were knocked loose while the little guy pops right up and struts away. I also never get tired of watching Earl make the most amazing play in NFL history twice. In both cases, a Rams RB is close to the Seahawks' end zone, reaching out to help the ball cross the plane of the goal line, and ETIII chops the RB's arm, knocking the ball loose before it can cross the plane. In both cases, the ball goes into and then out of the end zone, and it's a touchback, Seahawks ball at the 20 and the Rams get nothing. I have to admit I also enjoy watching him destroy Eddie Lacy. ETIII highlight videos are just fun to watch.

And ETIII was such a big part of what made the 2012-2015 Seahawks teams so good. First, opposing QBs pretty much had to give up the deep middle. Also, the CBs could apply aggressively tight coverage, knowing that if something bad happened, ETIII would be there to save the day, and Earl's ridiculous range gave Chancellor the freedom to play his unusual role. ETIII made the rest of the defense, especially the rest of the secondary, better.

All that said, it was time for him to go when he went, and as others have noted, he's been out of the game for a couple of years now, plus he's 33, so I'm not expecting him to be the star he once was if he gets a chance to play in the NFL again. However, he could still probably help some teams, and if he's willing to take a relatively low salary with very little guaranteed, somebody might just give him a chance. Honestly, at this point, unless he's burned through all the money he made previously and needs desperately to make more, I consider it more likely that he'd see such an offer as insulting and end up not playing.

Hyak

Reaction score
He really should kiss up and mend fences with Pete and the 12s. Then finish his career with the Hawks; wouldn't it be something if we could have Earl and Sherm back at vet minimum?
Shells of themselves. It would be waste of money and roster spots. The irony is that Thomas was a sure fire HOF'er before he ****** over his career. He's not nearly the sure thing anymore.

sutz

Reaction score
Unless it's on a one day deal for him to retire as a Hawk, no way. I'm looking forward to seeing what the young kids can do.

Kenny45

Reaction score
Earl was a great player, but his shipped has sailed. What does it tell you when even Houston wouldn't sign him.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I was thinking of him and starting a "where's Earl Thomas" thread. What fall from grace in just 2 years. The last memory of him on a football field is Derrick Henry using him as a blocking back on a big run up the sidelines. He was still considered one the top free safeties in the league that year and now, lucky to get a shot again.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sad to see. He gave us a lot of good years, but the ending was ugly. Now he has behovioral issues.
Agree. He's probably the best free safety this franchise will ever see, and nearly the best in league history.

toffee

Reaction score
Please educate and fill me in guys, I still couldn't get why Earl was so pissed off at Hawks in general and Pete in particular? I first noticed his unhappiness when he ran into the Cowboys' locker room begging for a job, then the nasty off season, followed with an injury and the finger.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Please educate and fill me in guys, I still couldn't get why Earl was so pissed off at Hawks in general and Pete in particular? I first noticed his unhappiness when he ran into the Cowboys' locker room begging for a job, then the nasty off season, followed with an injury and the finger.
Without looking it up, I think he expected the team to approach him on extending him and felt "insulted" that they were going to let him play out his last year on his deal.

toffee

Reaction score
Without looking it up, I think he expected the team to approach him on extending him and felt "insulted" that they were going to let him play out his last year on his deal.
He needed and still needs a REAL agent to represent him, he clearly shouldn't be in on the business end of things.