Duane Brown Extension Incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":2ekc7hcu said:
Sgt. Largent":2ekc7hcu said:
ducks41468":2ekc7hcu said:
He also declined after being traded here and will be 34 when a potential new contract starts, so I'd want to see him play multiple games under Solari before I make any decision about extending him.

Frankly, the guy just rubs me the wrong way with the shots he took at the departing players this offseason, especially given that he held out on the Texans. He seems like someone who's only in it for the money and a guy like that has a high risk of mailing it in once he gets that final contract of his career.

He declined what?

Far as I know, we haven't offered him an official extension yet.

He's talking about ability, not declining an extension.

He also didn't mention that Duane was injured with an ankle which explains the decline.

Gotcha.

How many players who have held out came back and got injured or dinged up? Most do. It's almost impossible to hold out, come back, get thrown right into games and not get hurt.

Dude played through a nasty ankle sprain, and was still the best O-lineman on our line. Which I know isn't saying much, but it's not a concern of mine if we're talking extension.

like I said, what choice do we really have? Throw away another trade by letting a guy walk AND make our O-line terrible again?

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Exactly.

I'll sleep better at night knowing the LT job is locked down long term.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Another positive for getting the extension done is it allows us to be more flexible with the remaining linemen. If Fant is as good as the coaches want us to think, then he should easily supplant Ifedi on the right side of the ball, and if that's the case, we've now anchored both Tackle positions down. With Britt at Center, that leaves 2 guard jobs and depth for the remaining guys to compete for. If we don't extend Brown, not only is it a wasted trade investment, but we also weaken our line through attrition

hawknation2018

Reaction score
They will probably wait to re-sign Brown, protecting themselves against the risk of injury and hoping his advanced age will depress his market value. But I would love to see it happen!

had2bhawk

Reaction score
PLEASE, don't keep him for another year! Get a young above average LT #9. Brown is going downhill at this point. Happy for him getting picked for PRO bowl but, the Hawks need a new look at LT.

themunn

Reaction score
Was very surprised at this until I realised its a 4 year old thread bump!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
PLEASE, don't keep him for another year! Get a young above average LT #9. Brown is going downhill at this point. Happy for him getting picked for PRO bowl but, the Hawks need a new look at LT.

Young above average LT's don't grow on trees. It's why guys like Brown keep getting contracts.

Other than the QB position, LT is the hardest to draft and find in free agency.

I'm just fine with giving Brown another one year deal similar to last year. He played well, and is the O-line vocal leader.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Young above average LT's don't grow on trees. It's why guys like Brown keep getting contracts.

Other than the QB position, LT is the hardest to draft and find in free agency.

I'm just fine with giving Brown another one year deal similar to last year. He played well, and is the O-line vocal leader.
Actually, I'm ok with another year of Brown as long as the Hawks get his replacement.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Duane Brown has many current threads available on the forum for discussion of his future. I'm going to lock this one as its a bump of a very old thread and is confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.