Draft Thoughts

BunHawk

Reaction score
Some thoughts on the draft, specifically positions and when to target them:
1a. Anderson or Wilson. Carter if he checks out clean by the Team. My preference is for a big here because I believe we have guys already who can rush off the edge. But Anderson is likely too good to pass up.
1b. ILB. Gotta get the kid from Arkansas or Campbell from Iowa.
2a. IOL, WR or ILB. I honestly believe we HAVE to get two top ILBs in this draft. Brooks' injury is scary. And after that, nobody is here after 2023. If they fall in love with a WR here, I wouldn't fault it. Or an Interior OL would be great. There are a couple C/G combo guys that would be great to get.
2b. IOL, WR or ILB. Same here with the other 2nd rounder.
3. IOL, WR or ILB. After this pick, it would just be perfect if they have grabbed an interior DL, interior OL, 2 LBs and a WR.
4, 5a, 5b, 6 and 7. I figure a QB will be in here somewhere. Whoever they choose at QB will have notable flaws or else they wouldn't get drafted beyond the 1st four picks. I have a love/hate with UCLA's DTR.

Mick063

Reaction score
Some thoughts on the draft, specifically positions and when to target them:
1a. Anderson or Wilson. Carter if he checks out clean by the Team. My preference is for a big here because I believe we have guys already who can rush off the edge. But Anderson is likely too good to pass up.
1b. ILB. Gotta get the kid from Arkansas or Campbell from Iowa.
2a. IOL, WR or ILB. I honestly believe we HAVE to get two top ILBs in this draft. Brooks' injury is scary. And after that, nobody is here after 2023. If they fall in love with a WR here, I wouldn't fault it. Or an Interior OL would be great. There are a couple C/G combo guys that would be great to get.
2b. IOL, WR or ILB. Same here with the other 2nd rounder.
3. IOL, WR or ILB. After this pick, it would just be perfect if they have grabbed an interior DL, interior OL, 2 LBs and a WR.
4, 5a, 5b, 6 and 7. I figure a QB will be in here somewhere. Whoever they choose at QB will have notable flaws or else they wouldn't get drafted beyond the 1st four picks. I have a love/hate with UCLA's DTR.
I agree mostly with what you say except that the team is deeper at WR than it is at RB. Further, Bijan Robinson could actually switch positions to slot receiver at this level. He is that good of a receiver. Not saying that he should, but I am saying that his diversity is akin to drafting both a RB and a slot receiver. It means that you could put him and K9 in at the same time and not miss a beat.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
I read a artical today about drafting just defense, and Carter at 5 and Mazi Smith at 20. That would fix our defensive line issues for sure.
I could easily get on board with that.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I really think the availability of Richardson at 5 is the only thing that can stop that 5th pick from being D. I get the feeling that our guys are intrigued by him and would take him if he's there.

I think I would prefer D so I hope that those top 3. QBs go in the top 4. In that case it's a matter of if we want to risk taking Carter or go Wilson (?). In a perfect world 4 ABs go in the top 4 and we get to pick the best D player.

James in PA

Reaction score
I really hope Richardson and Carter are both still there at 5. These are easily my top 2 choices and I would love to know who their preference is. I say that, now watch John and Pete pass on both!

CactusJack

Reaction score
Pete & John are meeting with the press today. Should be interesting to hear what they have to say.

GemCity

Reaction score
Anderson
Richardson
Carter….my top 3 in order (assuming Young and Stroud are off the board).

CactusJack

Reaction score
I really hope Richardson and Carter are both still there at 5. These are easily my top 2 choices and I would love to know who their preference is. I say that, now watch John and Pete pass on both!
As of today, my gut says that they're hoping that Anderson falls to them. Richardson is on the table. Along with Witherspoon. Those are the three names in consideration.

I've been very Pro Carter. But I think they'll pass. Which would be a bummer. Because he's the best defensive player in this class. No debate.

toffee

Reaction score
At this moment, there's no indication that we will be trading up. We may trade down, but that will likely a draft day decision. The debate in the front office at this point likely to be:

If Anderson, Carter, Richardson, or Levis would to be available at #5, draft or trade down? If trading down, what would be the expected return, another 1st in 2024?