Doug Baldwin

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I called him for my breakout player of the year. One game in and so far so good. 7 of 8 for 91 yards, including that sick catch on the sidelines.

He didn't look great doing the bubble screen - Tate fills that role much better - but if he keeps this up I think people will be thinking Percy Who? Baldwin's rookie year was better than any year Percy put up. I think he's going to open some eyes this season.

GO HAWKS!!!

Cartire

Reaction score
I picked him up in an instance in my fantasy league. He's back. He's our 3rd down wr.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Archer":3coezyd7 said:
SalishHawkFan":3coezyd7 said:
Baldwin's rookie year was better than any year Percy put up.

I love Baldwin, but that statement is ridiculous.
Not according to Football Outsiders.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with this. I've been ringing this bell this offseason; he'll be back. And, Baldwin will put to rest the INSANE "injury prone" knock. Sorry, but that seemed VERY like lazy analysis.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I am a Baldwin fan but Tate, IMO, would do much more if used in the same capacity. Tate is much more dynamic, ala Harvin, after the catch. As good as Baldwin looked today, I think Tate gets the majority of those looks against SF. And my gawd, Pete...let Wilson go long ball more frequently.

sutz

Reaction score
Doug did very well, but I suspect the reason he caught so many balls is not so much that he was 'targeted' so much, but that he got open. Love the kid, but I'm not quite ready to crown him anything yet. The beauty of it is that opposing OCs will certainly have to account for him in future games. It's nice to know our WR corps is deep enough that we can still get stellar play, even from our 4th and 5th guys.

I'm sure glad he's a Seahawk, though. :)

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Don't get too comfortable. kearly says Baldwin will never stay healthy.

(disclaimer: I dig kearly' work as much as anyone/just enjoy holding him accountable is all)

kearly

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1bamekn7 said:
Don't get too comfortable. kearly says Baldwin will never stay healthy.

(disclaimer: I dig kearly' work as much as anyone/just enjoy holding him accountable is all)

He'll probably have a healthy season here and there I'm sure. Hasn't happened yet, though. Not even in college. Even in 2011 he was fighting nagging injuries every week. Not saying it won't happen, it just it hasn't happened yet and there have been real, explainable reasons for his durability issues.

Besides, whoever said a receiver can't be good just because he gets dinged a lot? I like Baldwin and I was a huge DJ Hackett fanboy too.

Tical21

Reaction score
I like Baldwin a lot working out of the slot, he finds a way to get open and has very good hands. Believe me, I am not downplaying his contribution, but one of my overriding thoughts though was his game symbolizes how much we could use Percy. If Baldwin is going to be our smoke screen and end around guy, we need to nix those portions of the playbook immediately.

Perfundle

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":7i5zqxuy said:
Archer":7i5zqxuy said:
SalishHawkFan":7i5zqxuy said:
Baldwin's rookie year was better than any year Percy put up.

WR (and TE) stats are pretty much the most useless stats on that site, and they admit as much when they say that "We cannot yet fully separate the performance of a receiver from the performance of his quarterback. Be aware that one will affect the other." Unless you want to argue that Larry Fitzgerald suddenly turned into the worst receiver in the NFL last season. Harvin had a washed-up Favre and then two years of Ponder throwing him the ball, and that will kill anyone's stats.

Second, you're looking only at DVOA. It's only a rate stat, and can lead to results like Calvin Johnson being rated worse than James Jones in 2011, despite having more than 1000 more yards and 9 more touchdowns.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Perfundle":3htk4ymb said:
SalishHawkFan":3htk4ymb said:
Archer":3htk4ymb said:
WR (and TE) stats are pretty much the most useless stats on that site, and they admit as much when they say that "We cannot yet fully separate the performance of a receiver from the performance of his quarterback. Be aware that one will affect the other." Unless you want to argue that Larry Fitzgerald suddenly turned into the worst receiver in the NFL last season. Harvin had a washed-up Favre and then two years of Ponder throwing him the ball, and that will kill anyone's stats.

Second, you're looking only at DVOA. It's only a rate stat, and can lead to results like Calvin Johnson being rated worse than James Jones in 2011, despite having more than 1000 more yards and 9 more touchdowns.
Well, by that reasoning then, Farve to Harvin was much worse than TJack to Baldwin. Therefore, Baldwin must be even BETTER than his DVOA suggests.

themunn

Reaction score
Exactly, harvin's qbs before last year were Favre and... Jackson. Baldwin's qb was... Jackson. Baldwin was money his rookie season. Last year he was a bit beaten up from overtraining in the offseason, but he looks to be back in shape now

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
And before people keep harping on Baldwins durability, Harvin isn't know for his either.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Baldwin signed plenty of autographs up in BC.

On another note, no way in hell was his rookie year better than Percy's "best season" Come on now.

He was money yesterday, and will be for the rest of the year.

Latest posts