Don't Believe Cowherd--Wilson wanted to stay in Seattle!!

Seymour

Reaction score
Just thought I would clear this up since Russ is here to stay, and I'd prefer to disarm the Wilson haters who love to re-write history about Russ's intentions.
The no trade clause proves this, and supports that Russ doesn't want to be the center of negative speculation (reason he set a deadline also)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...gent-russell-wilson-wanted-to-stay-in-seattle

Despite the artificial deadline hinting to some that Wilson might want out of Seattle, the quarterback never sought to leave the Emerald City. In fact, his agent, Mark Rodgers, told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport his goal was to ensure the Seahawks couldn't trade him without consent midway through the deal.

"Russell wanted more than anything to stay in Seattle," Rodgers told Rapoport. "My job was to make sure of it, while doing the best deal possible. The no-trade clause clinched it. We didn't want to get to draft night three years from now and have his name in trade rumors. Once they offered that, we knew we would have a deal."

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Technically a no trade clause only guarantees that Russell has control over where he goes now. Players waive no-trade clauses all the time to go to teams they want to go to. All a no-trade clause does is guarantee the Seahawks can't trade Russ to a team like the Bills.

Rodgers is putting a positive spin on it, but really all this does is give his client more power and control in future negotiations.

That said, I do believe Wilson genuinely wants to stay in Seattle. But using the no-trade clause as evidence of that doesn't really make sense.

HawkGA

Reaction score
It's all spin. It was all negotiating tactic. Cowherd basically let himself be used. Meh, that's fine. But the spin from the agent now is no different than spin from the agent, through intermediaries, before the contract was signed.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Sure it was all spin. But that said, Cowherd (who I actually like) made some reasonable and logical points on why it made sense and most of that was Ciara based.

Other stories followed, but the Cowherd's piece was still the basis of them.

Point is....Wilson is no traitor like the haters will be holding onto IMO.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seymour":1u9bg85a said:
Sure it was all spin. But that said, Cowherd (who I actually like) made some reasonable and logical points on why it made sense and most of that was Ciara based.

Other stories followed, but the Cowherd's piece was still the basis of them.

Point is....Wilson is no traitor like the haters will be holding onto IMO.

It was logical in 2006 before social media and smartphones. You can be popular anywhere in the world you no longer have to meet face to face with New York ad agencies to be successful. Get a studio in your house and a strong social media presence and you can be famous anywhere.

Chapow

Reaction score
It seems pretty simple to me.

If Wilson did not want to stay in Seattle he would not have signed an extension that keeps him in Seattle.

I'm not sure what more evidence we need to come to the conclusion that Russ wants to be here.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is the no trade clause still valid if he was to get franchised after the end of this contract?

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3jbafsse said:
Out of curiosity, is the no trade clause still valid if he was to get franchised after the end of this contract?

Getting franchised happens after his contract expires, so no....I see no way they could reach past his contract period.

dutchman063

Reaction score
Wilson was going to whomever was willing to make him the NFL's highest paid player, it just happened to be Seattle... so now we can say goodbye to ever having a team with decent depth since paying for talent is going to be next to impossible, i guess its good our defense won us a superbowl cause that'll never happen under Wilson from here on until he's gone.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
dutchman063":1vzxpblw said:
Wilson was going to whomever was willing to make him the NFL's highest paid player, it just happened to be Seattle... so now we can say goodbye to ever having a team with decent depth since paying for talent is going to be next to impossible, i guess its good our defense won us a superbowl cause that'll never happen under Wilson from here on until he's gone.

Our defense was good when they were on a rookie contracts. Most of them (Earl, Sherman & Chancellor) did not live up to their second deals. Russ is the only who did.

On his second contract Earl missed half of the potential games played with injury.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The media only cares about conflict and drama . There is very little honor left in any media in this country it's at an all time low. It doesn't matter what network i'm watching I feel like I need to take a shower after watching it to get the slime off.

niveky

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3pbst7th said:
dutchman063":3pbst7th said:

Our defense was good when they were on a rookie contracts. Most of them (Earl, Sherman & Chancellor) did not live up to their second deals. Russ is the only who did.

On his second contract Earl missed half of the potential games played with injury.

you forgot..everything is Wilson's fault. :sarcasm_off:

John63

Reaction score
dutchman063":3czyubuv said:

Well first you can't prove any of what you just said. However, any reasonable person know she could have gotten more if he wanted. Simply play this year, and the next 2 and then go Fa since at that point it would have been 50mil to keep. Now as to your next assertion another thing that you can't say for sure given we will have over 65 mil in cap space next year which is the 2nd most and that is not counting the normal increase. Also, you can say we would have gotten to another SB without Wilson, while we can say that with him we have a chance. So basically you are just taking a non fact based negative stance.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
dutchman063":16hep1zg said:

Oh Lordy, the sky is truly falling.

Just my opinion, but I bet you are wrong, very wrong.

See you in the playoffs in 2020!

GO HAWKS!!!

dutchman063

Reaction score
John63":4ncwh9s9 said:
dutchman063":4ncwh9s9 said:

Well first you can't prove any of what you just said. However, any reasonable person know she could have gotten more if he wanted. Simply play this year, and the next 2 and then go Fa since at that point it would have been 50mil to keep. Now as to your next assertion another thing that you can't say for sure given we will have over 65 mil in cap space next year which is the 2nd most and that is not counting the normal increase. Also, you can say we would have gotten to another SB without Wilson, while we can say that with him we have a chance. So basically you are just taking a non fact based negative stance.

As you cant disprove anything i said, and its only basic economics when you give all your money to one person then you dont have enough to pay the star free agent's or sign the current stars, there just isnt enough money to go around, thats just basic facts

dutchman063

Reaction score
12HawkFan":1l4g6wcp said:
dutchman063":1l4g6wcp said:

GO HAWKS!!!

More like you HOPE that im very very wrong... i hope i am too but common sense could very well prove otherwsie

niveky

Reaction score
dutchman063":1gdsl8ml said:
12HawkFan":1gdsl8ml said:
dutchman063":1gdsl8ml said:

GO HAWKS!!!

More like you HOPE that im very very wrong... i hope i am too but common sense could very well prove otherwsie

Apparently you have a very different definition of common sense...it is VERY rare that Wilson has been the reason the team has hung an L. In almost every situation he does everything he can to put the team in position to win. The problem is that some don't want to recognize that instead of causing drama and a rift in team chemistry he is working within the model he has been expected to work in.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
dutchman063":2x65l64q said:
Bull-feces; :roll:
Sherman was a 5th rounder, Chancellor wasn't taken anywhere near the 1st round in the draft, we traded for Marshawn Lynch, hell, Baldwin wasn't even Drafted...Spent a shit-wad for Percy 'Head Case' Harvin, gave Jimmy G. a boatload, which goes to prove, that you can find talented players, that feel like they've been overlooked, & hungry to prove themselves EVEN AFTER the Draft.

chris98251

Reaction score
dutchman063":374wse3w said:

Well post signing Wilson said he wanted to stay here forever and that when he signed his first contract here is where he wanted to be. His agent backed that up.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...l-wilson-says-he-has-more-super-bowls-to-win/

Hope you now choke on that Raw Crows feathers.