Dolphins already shopping Dion Jordan.. Trade #32 for a LEO?

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Jason La Canfora reports that Miami Dolphins are shopping 2013 #3 overall pick Dion Jordan...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... ion-jordan

Not sure the asking price, but #32 would seem reasonable based on 1 lost year of service and the fact that Jordan did little as a rookie. It looks like $13m of his 4 year, $20m contract was paid via signing bonus, so you'd pay just over $2m a year for his services.

There was a lot of talk about Gus Bradley drafting Jordan last year to play LEO for the Jags, but they ended up taking Joeckel, who ended up breaking his ankle.

But Rob Rang wrote before the draft:
Considering his 6-6, 250-pound frame, Dion Jordan might just be the most extraordinary all-around athlete available in the 2013 draft. Unfortunately, he is lacking in three of the most critical traits necessary for success in the NFL -- instincts, physicality and durability. Unless he makes significant improvement in all three categories, Jordan will not produce in the NFL at the level expected for an athlete with his talent.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... t-opinions

drrew

Reaction score
I think most of us in the PNW who saw him play at Oregon regularly thought that he was a severe reach at #3. He's a very intriguing talent, and while I would have been ok picking him up as a late first coming out of college, I think with how little he showed last season, that anything more than a late 2nd to mid 3rd would be an overpay.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Give them the 2nd for him. Miami was stupid to take him, it was the equivalent of Chip Kelly drafting a full back. He doesn't fit into Miamis style of D, he's a guy who needs to be standing up now playing with his hand in the dirt.

sutz

Reaction score
So, give up a late #1/#2 for a player still on his rookie #3 overall contract?

I'll pass.

McGruff

Reaction score
sutz":bbscei4m said:
So, give up a late #1/#2 for a player still on his rookie #3 overall contract?

I'll pass.

#3 contracts aren't what they used to be. Without being on the hook for the bonus, he's actually fairly cheap.

Smellyman

Reaction score
He seemed very pedestrian (me di ocre) in college. I was surprised to see so many thought highly of him.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
He is a total bust, as many expected. He lacks the killer instinct to be an elite pass rusher. His overall athleticism is also overrated.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Wenhawk":6p010r1d said:
I'd trade them Chris Clemons and a 5th

If they are aldo.rumored to unload Wake I doubt they will trade for a +30 year old due to make 7 mill, when they know we are most likely to cut him. Teams rarely trade for guys Clemons age, especially at his salary. They wait for them to hit the open market and pay them vet min or abouts. Freeney/Abraham.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He signed a 20.5 million dollar deal last year, but it looks like 14 mil of that would be signing and salary last year, leaving the team that gets him on the hook for 3 years and 6 plus.

With Miami's history of trying to get out in front of bad news on a player, like when they traded Brandon Marshall quickly before news of a possible off the field issue hit, it makes you very suspicious. As does the lack of instinct tag, which gives me aaron Curry shivers.

Hawks46

Reaction score
So, the guy lacks instincts, durability and physicality, and we're giving up a 1st rounder for him ?

It sounds like he needs some work and that's called a project. Not like Pete hasn't given up a 1st for a project before (Irvin) but I'd say no way. I'd offer a 4th for him. Miami's FO is dumb. Why not take advantage of that ?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Why in hecks name would we want to trade for a draft bust?

A 5th round pick is too much to pay for an undersized DE with bad shoulders and lame instincts. He was way over drafted.

No thanks!!!

two dog

Reaction score
Miami reclamation project. Thank you, no. In the deepest draft in a long while,
why would you want someone else's draft mistake?
He won't be cheap enough to make him an attractive addition.

kearly

Reaction score
I waited a few days to really think this over. Before I get to my conclusion, a few things first:

#1: I don't think Dion Jordan is, has ever been, or will ever be a true NFL caliber 4-3 defensive end. He has the build of a tall WR, he's not meant to play on the defensive line and only silly people ever thought that IMO.

#2: Dion Jordan isn't a bust, at least not until he fails at several other positions. I am not even joking, I think Jordan is a good enough athlete that he could be a capable Browner/Maxwell styled press corner if we wanted him to be. He actually played a little press corner in college and looked very good doing it.

#3: Most of his contract is already paid for. If we picked him up, he'd average around $2 million a season for the next 3 years.

#4: It's possible he might have red flags we don't know about which require investigation. Is he being shopped this soon only because of a change at GM or is there more going on?

Now with all that said, I think Dion Jordan could be a total stud in our system at OLB, especially if he played a role similar to what O'Brien Schofield had last season. It is a fungible position and not really an area we are hurting for help at, but consider that KJ Wright is going to be a UFA after next year, as will Malcolm Smith. I personally think Wright will probably get paid pretty well in free agency and it might not be by Seattle. Smith might get priced out too, especially if Seattle extends Bobby Wagner next year. Having a cheap and very talented player who fits our OLB role to a tee would be a nice thing to have.

Is he worth the #32? Not quite, but I would consider him a solid value at #64.

If the price was right, I could definitely see Seattle trading for Jordan, it just won't be as a LEO.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2bgtbt0p said:
I waited a few days to really think this over. Before I get to my conclusion, a few things first:

#1: I don't think Dion Jordan is, has ever been, or will ever be a true NFL caliber 4-3 defensive end. He has the build of a tall WR, he's not meant to play on the defensive line and only silly people ever thought that IMO.

#2: Dion Jordan isn't a bust, at least not until he fails at several other positions. I am not even joking, I think Jordan is a good enough athlete that he could be a capable Browner/Maxwell styled press corner if we wanted him to be. He actually played a little press corner in college and looked very good doing it.

#3: Most of his contract is already paid for. If we picked him up, he'd average around $2 million a season for the next 3 years.

#4: It's possible he might have red flags we don't know about which require investigation. Is he being shopped this soon only because of a change at GM or is there more going on?

Now with all that said, I think Dion Jordan could be a total stud in our system at OLB, especially if he played a role similar to what O'Brien Schofield had last season. It is a fungible position and not really an area we are hurting for help at, but consider that KJ Wright is going to be a UFA after next year, as will Malcolm Smith. I personally think Wright will probably get paid pretty well in free agency and it might not be by Seattle. Smith might get priced out too, especially if Seattle extends Bobby Wagner next year. Having a cheap and very talented player who fits our OLB role to a tee would be a nice thing to have.

Is he worth the #32? Not quite, but I would consider him a solid value at #64.

If the price was right, I could definitely see Seattle trading for Jordan, it just won't be as a LEO.
I could see Jordan being OK in a system like the Jets or Ravens, where they stand up 6 potential rushers and send 3,4,or 5 of those guys. Hand in the dirt? Never. Give him a stand up rush assignment or a simple zone to drop into, not much else.

kearly

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of the KJ Wright pick because his long legs took away his fluidity. Seattle has built a role for him where he is able to make plays in a somewhat linear trajectory fashion. I think Jordan would be pretty similar at LB. Stiff, and needing to move in a straight line to be his best. But he's bigger than Wright, and faster. And cheap for two years longer, so I think it would be an interesting experiment for us. With Seattle's depth, he could effectively redshirt 2014 a bit like Irvin did at OLB in 2013.

If he was a UFA right now, I'm sure Seattle would be making calls. Based on some of the 3-4 looks they had last year and how both Schofield and Irvin fit 3-4 OLB molds, I think Seattle could make nice use of Jordan at SAM, plus I see some physical similarities to Wright as well. It is only the price he's worth that's a bit tough to figure out for me. If Jordan were a quitter and a dummy like Curry I wouldn't bother, but I get the impression he is a competitor and will do as told just like Irvin has.

My feelings about Jordan's future aside, I still think that was a horrible draft pick. I called Jordan the most over-rated prospect in the 2013 draft and I undersold it.

cesame

Reaction score
As an Oregon fan I thought he never really dominated while at Oregon, and thought he was drafted way too high last year (thanks combine).

I'd stay away