Do the Niners keep McCoy or Daniels?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Manbearpig99":1bva479a said:
That ONE PLAY FARTHER was pretty significant.

I agree. It is. That doesn't change the fact that it was basically one extra play.

Man, I really wish that power outage in the Super Bowl hadn't happened. That extra 40 minutes of game planning time is, I'm 97% confident, the only reason you guys were able to get back into that game. Without it, losing the Super Bowl would have been a far larger reality check.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
(another 9ers fan here, sorry guys. :) )

McCoy and Tolzein have looked awful, but it's hard to tell how bad they're really playing, because the backup O-Line has been even worse, and the clown car of people competing for the #2 WR spot hasn't been good either (save for Hall, who has been decent -- we'll see what happens when Wilson and Patton come back).

I also think 9ers fans -- and by extension maybe even some Seahawks fans -- are too gassed on Daniels because of one series. Best case scenario is the 9ers have to roster him rather than stashing him on the practice squad, which isn't really a good scenario for them. :)

I think the battle right now is between Daniels and Tolzein TBH, not McCoy and Daniels. Tolzein is a practice squad cast off himself, and because he's immobile, would require changing the gameplan if Kaep goes out in the middle of a game (whereas McCoy does much less so).

Long story short, I don't think Hawks fans have to worry about any of them, but at this point I think McCoy and Daniels make it this year (still two game to go though, so who knows).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I will say one thing: I think the Seahawks have a top-3 backup QB. Tarvaris Jackson was able to go 7-9 with us in 2011, and half of that was playing with a pec injury on his throwing side, and he has looked very good in the preseason. I still don't think he's a starter in this league per se, even though he'd be an upgrade over the current starting QB for at least a couple of teams, but I think he could get us to 8-10 wins with the talent level the Seahawks have now.

I don't think the 49ers have a prayer at 8-8 if Kaepernick were to go down before the season starts, though. That's not bias speaking, honestly; I just don't see any talent behind Kaepernick whatsoever, at present.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Oh yeah, the 9ers would be in major, major trouble if Kaep went down, and in more trouble than the Hawks would be if Wilson went down IMO.

They're a run first team and really only innovative in their running game though, so I don't think they'd be in as much trouble as the Saints if Brees went down, or the Packers if Rodgers went down, or the Lions if Stafford went down, etc.

The Hawks and 9ers are probably the two least one-dimensional teams in the league, which is what's so fun about them having a big rivalry finally.

(I think Tavaris is a pretty servicable backup FWIW, and a good guy to have. His play this preseason doesn't make me think he's a different player than he is, though).