DK rumor's

Seahawker

Reaction score
I think if we keep him another year he will be less tradable & teams will view him as a one-year 30M rental and fear his agent will hold them hostage in negotiations, plus the F tag is not favorable. If we wait we'll get less for him or end up either paying through the nose for him to keep him or watching him walk for less compensation.
I think the best option is to put him on the trade block now to gauge interest in him & set his price, to get some value for him.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If Pittsburgh, Lockett would make more sense. He was always Wilson’s security blanket after ADB left.

Metcalf never seemed to gel with Wilson’s sandlot style, though they had a good connection on uncontested, tiptoe on the sideline for no good reason, plays.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Suppose...heaven forbid...that Metcalf suffers a career ending injury this coming season. Would it have been better to have traded him this coming summer? Or, suppose Metcalf has a horrible season, and a bunch of teams lose interest?

There may be an opportunity before the trading deadline this coming season to trade Metcalf. If one or more teams view themselves as being just a player away from the SB and is enamored with Metcalf, that could be an ideal time to trade him.
To your first point, you can't plan for the unforeseen.

As to your second point, I agree. That would be the ideal time to trade him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I think if we keep him another year he will be less tradable & teams will view him as a one-year 30M rental and fear his agent will hold them hostage in negotiations, plus the F tag is not favorable.
If traded before the season starts, DK's 2024 salary for his new team would be just $13M... and his corresponding 2025 salary for his new team would be just $18M.

Seattle would incur a dead cap hit for what remains of his prorated signing and option bonuses.

RiverDog

Reaction score
To your first point, you can't plan for the unforeseen.

As to your second point, I agree. That would be the ideal time to trade him.
Well, you can take reasonable steps to minimize the risk of an unforeseen event. That's why we all buy insurance. The longer we wait to trade Metcalf, the greater the risk of something bad happening that devalues his worth. IMO he'll never be worth as much as he is today.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I do expect Metcalf to be traded by the time his contract is up probably not to Pittsburgh
Why?
Not sure that's true, he is more tradable now then he will be in a year and we very much need cap room now. Also better to do it now during the retooling and having more time to morph the WR room to have it all come together in 25', 26' when we are ready to compete in the PO's.
If we wait a year his cost won't be as favorable to a trade partner & teams will just wait a year to compete for his services. Plus at that point we'll have to franchise him to keep him, $$$.
I have a feeling Grubb will get DK his biggest numbers as a pro. So he will bring in more for the draft next year if he has a huge year in 2024.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
While I'm not calling for DK to be traded, I'm not opposed to it. My proposed trade compensation in another thread was 2025 1st, 3rd, and 2026 3rd.

What would the dead cap hit be? And would it be more than offset by the savings of not having to pay his salary?

Seahawker

Reaction score
I am not a capologist, far from it.
But my impression is if they traded DK post June 1st the cap savings would be small over 24' & 25' and the recieving team would get a great savings on his final two years of his contract.
This would also mean DK's new team would have to offer a slew of picks for JS to be interested. Maybe two 1st rounders.
So,
DK and his game & high salary?
Or,
Daylight caproom & two first rounders?

Maybe someone that knows the trade implications could lay them out for us?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Why?

I have a feeling Grubb will get DK his biggest numbers as a pro. So he will bring in more for the draft next year if he has a huge year in 2024.
The contract Metcalf would be demanding would be approaching $35 million AAV elite WRs are already commanding $30 million and it will only go up. I don’t think the current brain trust is onboard with paying a receiver that much

RiverDog

Reaction score
If Pittsburgh, Lockett would make more sense. He was always Wilson’s security blanket after ADB left.

Metcalf never seemed to gel with Wilson’s sandlot style, though they had a good connection on uncontested, tiptoe on the sideline for no good reason, plays.
What you say is true, but Wilson was infatuated with Metcalf, compared the two of them to Montana and Rice. IMO Russell would lobby much more intensely for Metcalf than he would Lockett or a Locket-like receiver. Besides, no one is going to trade the type of capital that's being discussed for a soon to be 32-year-old receiver who is on the verge of retiring. Additionally, Lockett has a lot of business ties in the area. I doubt that he'd be amicable to a trade this late in his career.

Torc

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Tyreek was in a contract year and part of the condition of trading him was that he'd sign a contract with the dolphins. We're fine to wait another year to consider trading DK.

I personally hope we don't. I'm excited to see what an offensive coordinator not being hobbled by Pete (and Russ for that matter) is going to do with him and the rest of the WR room.

someone asked about the cap hit, there is info at https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/29100/dk-metcalf

Caphit

RiverDog

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Tyreek was in a contract year and part of the condition of trading him was that he'd sign a contract with the dolphins. We're fine to wait another year to consider trading DK.

I personally hope we don't. I'm excited to see what an offensive coordinator not being hobbled by Pete (and Russ for that matter) is going to do with him and the rest of the WR room.

someone asked about the cap hit, there is info at https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/29100/dk-metcalf

View attachment 66127
The problem with waiting until next year is the risk involved. What are the chances of Metcalf's value improving vs. it declining, keeping in mind the risk of injury? Personally, I don't see Metcalf's play this season improving to the point that it increases his trade value. I don't see it getting any higher than it is today.

It's like the $.25 investment advice: Buy low and sell high.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
We should table this idea until the next draft. It makes ZERO sense for JS to trade DK now.
This is what I think too. Don't usually see player for player trades anymore. What's the point in getting a draft pick that can't help this year? All it would do is weaken the Hawks for this year. Depending on how DK meshes with the new staff, I could see him getting death with a year left on his contact.

NoGain

Reaction score
The problem with waiting until next year is the risk involved. What are the chances of Metcalf's value improving vs. it declining, keeping in mind the risk of injury? Personally, I don't see Metcalf's play this season improving to the point that it increases his trade value. I don't see it getting any higher than it is today.

It's like the $.25 investment advice: Buy low and sell high.
Also, to repeat, it can't be ignored that we need as much draft capital to play with in the next draft to make a move for a potential QB of the future. We can't kick this down the road any further.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Also, to repeat, it can't be ignored that we need as much draft capital to play with in the next draft to make a move for a potential QB of the future. We can't kick this down the road any further.
You're preaching to the choir.

The other thing that I'll add here is that wide receivers are overrated as a position. There are a lot of very, very good wide receivers, and tons of very good receivers. It's a position that a lot of players can master. If someone like Cooper Kupp, who ran the 40 in 4.62 seconds, a snail's pace for a WR, can win the triple crown of receiving (receptions, receiving yards, TD's) and the SB MVP in the same season, then it's obvious that you don't need a world class athlete to play the position.

We have a very, very good WR corps, with another year or two's tread left on Lockett, JSN, and Jake Bobo. DK Metcalf is not a critical piece to the puzzle. We can manage without him.