DK Metcalf on running game forcing single-high safeties

Tical21

Reaction score
DK Metcalf said Seahawks are seeing more one-high safety looks with running game getting going. Said Rashaad Penny's success "really just puts a lot of stress on the defense to worry about the run and the pass. It just basically has opened us up a lot more for big pass plays.''

I, for one, am shocked.

toffee

Reaction score
Tical21":1orwei6n said:
DK Metcalf said Seahawks are seeing more one-high safety looks with running game getting going. Said Rashaad Penny's success "really just puts a lot of stress on the defense to worry about the run and the pass. It just basically has opened us up a lot more for big pass plays.''

I, for one, am shocked.

Sounded like DK was channeling PeteBall.

John63

Reaction score
When it works to bad the run game has sucked this year for the most part. Also fyi we saw 2 high too and had no problems with it at all. That's what motion can do for you. Also as Hass pointed out it was all the role outs by Wson that helped the run game. Hmm amazing the pass helping the run too.

seabowl

Reaction score
The lack of a consistent run game the last few years has killed this O. Making matters worse was not having a first round pick last year to grab a rb like N Harris or drafting Creed Humphrey when he fell to the second round. Interesting that finally Penney has decided to finally tough it out at the end of his contract.

John63

Reaction score
Also as has been pointed via stats in this forum Wilson has exceptional stats against 2 high. Nice try.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":25jbkx18 said:
Also as has been pointed via stats in this forum Wilson has exceptional stats against 2 high. Nice try.
He used to..When he had legs to create a play from nothing (sandlot)
It's always been a running game is needed..He used to run.
I don't understand why you stay stuck at 5-7 yrs ago?
Players get old and times change just as Russ has.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":f41i8a8p said:

You're kidding right? So DK is wrong now too?

here:

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 25887.html

Here's an article where even Tyler Lockett is agreeing that teams are among other things are in 2 high and we arent changing what we do to beat it.

It also touches on Russ's denial that its a problem, despite the failures every week, and it reference the fact that he's last in the league in 3rd down conversions.

DK is 1000% correct. The stubbornness has hamstrung the defense this year and last. Maybe DK saying what he wouldn't last year will get Russ to take notice.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So in the end ‘Old Fashioned Pete’ was right with the idea of running more to reduce the 2 high S shells the team has faced.

Passing short quick hitting routes and over the middle shorter passes would help too.

We shall see if the O can keep up this ‘novel approach’ against AZ.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":tstk7wyd said:
A good running game helps any QB. Including Lord Rodgers and walk on water Brady.
No. BS. I'm not letting you get away with this. For YEARS you said all we had to do was pass more and all of our problems would go away. Now that we see that this was never the case, you don't get to pretend to be someone else. At least own it, coward.

keasley45

Reaction score
Tical21":18r3oxs4 said:
SoulfishHawk":18r3oxs4 said:
A good running game helps any QB. Including Lord Rodgers and walk on water Brady.
No. BS. I'm not letting you get away with this. For YEARS you said all we had to do was pass more and all of our problems would go away. Now that we see that this was never the case, you don't get to pretend to be someone else. At least own it, coward.

Seriously. All last year after Pete pushed to run more and in the process, stabilized the team, all you heard was '... oh God ... Pete is going to mess things up again and go all conservative.... Pete needs to go.' And as it turns out, the only games Russel has won this year have been the ones he passed for less than 50% of the time.

And now the response is... 'of course running helps'. And denial that we even have an issue with 2 high...'

And somehow, still when the offense goes back to more balance and more running and we win, the claim is that it's because Pete STOPPED messing with things.

W. T. F. ?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yep, RB's help keep Defenses honest, it's ALWAYS been that way.
Read somewhere once, that Football was almost entirely played by RUNNING THE BALL, & that PASSING came along years later in the development of the games.
When Wilson was a rookie, his ability to RUN (scramble) is what set him apart from most if not ALL Quarterbacks in the League & having Power Back Lynch? our Run <-> Pass game was a dream come true for Pete, and actually forced the rest of the League to have to readjust their Defenses.
Can you have success with a really heavy passing attack? YES BUT, it's not easily sustainable, and the Quarterback HAS to get the ball OUT much faster & requires a lot more finesse.

The old school RUN sets up the PASS & the PASS sets up the RUN, is "Peteball" & is still relevant.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What the hell are you even talking about Fecal? This team, like any good team has always needed a good running game. Opening up the offense is great, but you have to have a solid running game to open it up for the passing game. Pass more and everything goes away? Yeah right. Get over yourself man. Geezus.
Coward? My god you're insecure. Your obsession with me is kind of creepy. You don't know me, I don't know you. You clearly don't want to just have a normal football conversation.
I'm done talking to you, period.

justafan

Reaction score
keasley45":2haojfz0 said:
Tical21":2haojfz0 said:
SoulfishHawk":2haojfz0 said:

Seriously. All last year after Pete pushed to run more and in the process, stabilized the team, all you heard was '... oh God ... Pete is going to mess things up again and go all conservative.... Pete needs to go.' And as it turns out, the only games Russel has won this year have been the ones he passed for less than 50% of the time.

And now the response is... 'of course running helps'. And denial that we even have an issue with 2 high...'

And somehow, still when the offense goes back to more balance and more running and we win, the claim is that it's because Pete STOPPED messing with things.

W. T. F. ?

Personally I want 30 runs a game win or lose. When we call RRP the only thing Im bothered by is we didnt run well enough to get a 1st down with RRR.

keasley45

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1n77cnpd said:
Saints game, against one of the best run defenses........8 consecutive running plays. Brutal

Yet we averaged a better ypc that game than Alvin Kamera and lost the game because our kicker gave it away.

The strategy worked, we lost because of special teams.

The Patriots played a game this year where they only passed 3 time the entire game. Same intent. Limit the oppositions possessions by shortening the game and hold them on D.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point. Myers has def. crapped the bed this year. But, why run the ball 8 times in a row? Why not some quick passes to the TE or DK? Fly sweeps, something different. Not 8 runs up the gut. Just my own opinion, but that somehow makes me a coward :irishdrinkers:
Last year when the running game wasn't working at all, of course they needed to pass the ball more.

To me, time of possession has by far been the biggest problem this season. You can't keep playing games where the opponent seems to have the ball almost 40 minutes a game.

John63

Reaction score
jammerhawk":z7ppsm2x said:
So in the end ‘Old Fashioned Pete’ was right with the idea of running more to reduce the 2 high S shells the team has faced.

Passing short quick hitting routes and over the middle shorter passes would help too.

We shall see if the O can keep up this ‘novel approach’ against AZ.

No in the end Waldron was right by rolling out Wilson more it forced the defense to change to cove rup in case he ran something HAss mentioned in his analysis.

keasley45

Reaction score
The play selection was way run heavy. I agree. I think we were just hell bent on imposing our will.

But as far as last year goes, the running game did work. We just left it to die.

We racked up 1971 yards, good for 12th.

And had a ypc average of 4.8 yards, good for top 5.

But somehow chose to only attempt enough runs to finish 14th in the league

To put that in context, with Beastmode in 2103 we averaged 4.3 ypc.

And this year we've been even better at 4.9 ypc... and inexplicably chose to run even less than last year.

Our run game last year and this year was better than when we had Lynch and we chose to pass. And still the mantra that we can't run persists. We can run and 'someone' who isn't named Pete Carrol is choosing not to.

So we can complain about not running motions and blag blah blah. We have a porsche in the garage and choose to only pull it out when we need to run to the grocery store. Motions be damned, if we just did what we have proven we do well, we would win.

And that's why all the talk about our scheme sucks or our strategy is dated is so frustrating. We have tools available to us in the run and pass and don't use them. And as a result, we lose. But all anybody sees is Russell's great stat line, and from that, they infer that the issue has to be everything else.

Latest posts