Diggin on Diggs

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I really liked this guy and what he's done in his time here...but.. maybe his injury has slowed him significantly but I find he is the weakest defender in that secondary this year. I expected him to take a huge role back there as a leader. He just hasn't been good...injury or father time?

Ozzy

Reaction score
There is no way we can pay him and Adam's close to 40 million dollars next year for how they've played. Neal has been the best safety on the team in my opinion. I think you have to give Adams another chance but hopefully can talk to him about money and you probably let Diggs go because he's not worth 18 million

renofox

Reaction score
There is no way we can pay him and Adam's close to 40 million dollars next year for how they've played. Neal has been the best safety on the team in my opinion. I think you have to give Adams another chance but hopefully can talk to him about money and you probably let Diggs go because he's not worth 18 million
We need to release both. The Seahawks are spending nearly $40M on "starting" safeties when they can get equivalent production for under $5M.

$35M in free agency spent on a couple premium DL would add 2-5 wins.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Maybe I am reading the numbers wrong, but we would save $10M next year cutting Diggs. Doubt we pass up that savings.
You are reading it wrong.

It's a 8mill cap hit if you cut Diggs next season. The final year is cap hit is 4mill.

Regardless as for Adams.

Cutting him this season is 30mil dead cap, 21 mil dead cap the following season.

You can't cut Adams, and as for Diggs if you cut him next season, there's no way Adams and Neal would be on the field together, since Jamal always gets hurt.

Oh and Neal is a FA next season, so he will get paid. Probably up to 7-8mill a year.

chrispy

Reaction score
JS will have to spend a lot of time on Cap in the off-season. Diggs might be one of the easier decisions.

Let's hope that the draft hits on lots of starters again because there will need to be some cap relief resulting from multiple departures ... or possibly restructures. Signing Geno instead of 2 or three current other starters might be the likely scenario.

BASF

Reaction score
You are reading it wrong.

It's a 8mill cap hit if you cut Diggs next season. The final year is cap hit is 4mill.

Regardless as for Adams.

Cutting him this season is 30mil dead cap, 21 mil dead cap the following season.

You can't cut Adams, and as for Diggs if you cut him next season, there's no way Adams and Neal would be on the field together, since Jamal always gets hurt.

Oh and Neal is a FA next season, so he will get paid. Probably up to 7-8mill a year.
Except that his salary is $18M, so if his dead cap is only $8M, how is that not saving the $10M?

QWERTY

Reaction score
Except that his salary is $18M, so if his dead cap is only $8M, how is that not saving the $10M?
What do you mean salary is 18mill?

Where did you get that information.

knownone

Reaction score
We need to release both. The Seahawks are spending nearly $40M on "starting" safeties when they can get equivalent production for under $5M.

$35M in free agency spent on a couple premium DL would add 2-5 wins.
Let's be clear. If you release both this offseason, you'd be paying 12m/season (for three seasons) to safeties no longer on the team.

They could afford to cut Diggs, but Adam's is not going anywhere. And honestly, the best case scenario is having both of them on the roster next season.

BASF

Reaction score
What do you mean salary is 18mill?

Where did you get that information.

Where it says 2023 cap hit it says $18M. Next to it, it says Dead Cap is $8M. So, and this is where I may be reading it wrong, we keep him it is $18M. We drop him, it is $8M.

chawx

Reaction score
I think a lot of what Q does is off camera, deep down the field and is covering for mistakes with the young ones we might not see unless we watch All-22. I'm not ready to turn my back on him—he's been having to compensate without Adams reeking havoc in the box.

I mean, I could totally be wrong, but I feel like the reason we haven't seen a lot of him making plays this year is he doesn't feel good about roaming without Adams around.

Notice how he always seems to be the only one around if a play is blown up and a guy is wide open. That's no mistake, he just couldn't be two places at once.

GemCity

Reaction score
I’m not sure about now but, when healthy, Adams is the best player on the field.

Please note the use of the word “when”.

Crossing my fingers we get a productive season out of him.

I could see Diggs being released.

BASF

Reaction score
Update: Thanks to Hawkstorian posting the overthecap site, I can verify that cutting Diggs after the season will save us $9.9M, so I was off by $100000. I sincerely doubt we decide to keep him. There is also decent savings in letting Shelby Harris and Gabe Jackson go after the season.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Diggs and Adams, honestly, should be released/traded.

I like Diggs but he hasn’t had a good year and maybe it’s his injury or he doesn’t trust teammates/scheme etc., but if he has some value with a trade, he should be traded.