Devin Bush: on Wyman and Bob

Chevy

Reaction score
I may be nit picking, but Devin doesn't look like he works out in the gym for a professional football player. No chest, small arms...Bob has a bigger upper body than Devin.

KinesProf

Reaction score
You occasionally get those "weird body" guys who mange to ascend to the highest level of sports (non baseball anyway), and it does look kind of weird. Kyle Lowry, Alge Crumpler, Mike Tolbert, both Griffin brothers that were here come to mind.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I may be nit picking, but Devin doesn't look like he works out in the gym for a professional football player. No chest, small arms...Bob has a bigger upper body than Devin.

Stand Bush and Jamal Adams next to each other, and you probably wouldn't see that much of a difference.

Bush is basically a safety playing outside LB. But that's what Pete and Hurtt are trying to do with Bobby back. He'll be the enforcer in the middle to stuff the run and shoot gaps, and the rest will be some sort of hybrid nickel and dime with multiple safeties and smaller LB's to cover and play the edge/fill gaps.

In the modern game, the idea of 3 huge LB's is a misnomer. It's all about speed and aggressiveness. Can Bush fill that role? Idk, we'll see when the pre-season games start. But it's why he didn't work out in Pittsburgh, too small and wasn't fast enough anymore after his injury.

bileever

Reaction score
It's unclear what Devin Bush can be, but there's definitely potential for Bush to be a very good player. He does have the smell of a Carroll/Schneider reclamation project, like Luke Joeckel or D.J. Fluker (other former first-round picks that flamed out with their original teams). There's a reason why their original teams gave up on them. There are very few instances of a change of scenery resulting in a complete transformation.

Is this case any different? Bush had a solid rookie year, after which PFF predicted that both he and Devin White would be better after their rookie years. Bush actually graded better than White in 2019. But Bush's injury in 2020 scuttled that.

I also wonder if the Steelers might have played Bush a little out of position by having him play the Mike linebacker spot instead of the Will. Given his size and speed, he seems more suited to the Will spot.

Bush definitely had pretty disappointing years in 2021 and 2022, but you could chalk up 2021 to coming back from the ACL tear and he had a lingering foot problem last year. So there's reason to hope, but it still remains to be seen if he can be the player people thought he would be when he was drafted.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was injured and his recovery was slow. Further (after he returned) he lacked the confidence (in his body) and bravery (he had needed) to stick his nose into plays because he was admittedly worried about hurting himself again. I hope that is behind him now.

Time will tell if he can make it back. Fingers crossed b/c he was special as a rookie. He’s still very young.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
I know I've said a lot about Devin Bush before, but I guess I have a lot of hope that he will be a solid player on this defense. The one other point I wanted to make is that if you compare the rookie years of Roquan Smith and Devin Bush, they were very comparable. It really wasn't until years 3 and 4 that Roquan really started to shine. Devin's injuries hopefully only delayed his progression.

In his rookie year, Devin Bush was 3rd in voting for defensive rookie of the year. Smith got no votes his rookie year. In addition to 9 TFLs, Bush had 2 interceptions and 4 fumble recoveries that year. There are definitely reasons to hope.

Also, he's not exactly undersized as some people here have said. He's 5'11" and 235 pounds. Roquan Smith is 6'1" and 235 lbs, Bobby Wagner is 6'0" and 240 lbs, Devin White is 6'0" and 235 lbs and Patrick Queen is 229 lbs. He's the size of an average linebacker. Jamal Adams is 210 lbs, which is why he's a safety, and not big enough to play linebacker.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Bush balled out before injury and is now finally healthy again. Ask any Steeler fan and you’ll get the “guy is tenacious when healthy” response. He’s back healthy now and is actually excited to be a Hawk and I’m looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the table.

chrispy

Reaction score
Bush is a good example of several "what if" type guys this season. Off the top of my head there are about 6 or 7 that could flame out but could also be big parts of a successful season. JAdams would be another. Charbonnet and KMcIntosh. ....

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Great interview and he seems happy to be here. That is always a plus.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Bush is a good example of several "what if" type guys this season. Off the top of my head there are about 6 or 7 that could flame out but could also be big parts of a successful season. JAdams would be another. Charbonnet and KMcIntosh. ....
Throw Jerron Reed’s ass on the list. With him we get a player familiar with Pete and has been upper echelon for many years. But I like him more in a rotational role anyways and can get after the quarterback from the interior in situational downs

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Devin Bush is a one year "prove it" role and helps in an immediate role as "next man up" for roles not necessarily reflecting his position as LB...but fills needs until Jordyn Brooks and Jamal Adams make full returns.

His quickness allows some underneath coverage and perhaps some ability to limit explosive RB plays/screens.
Its already been pointed out his light build limits his ability to avoid being "washed out" by mauling guards/centers on power runs...which is why I feel he's a "place holder" for Jordan Brooks who still seems like a liability in coverage but is a "killer" like Bobby when shooting the gaps and crushing RBs.

I mention Jamal as well because until Adams outplays concerns of returning from a serious injury...Devin has range and instincts to take correct attack angles and blow up runners escaping into LB/S territory.

bileever

Reaction score
Its already been pointed out his light build limits his ability to avoid being "washed out" by mauling guards/centers on power runs...which is why I feel he's a "place holder" for Jordan Brooks who still seems like a liability in coverage but is a "killer" like Bobby when shooting the gaps and crushing RBs.
I would point out again, that Devin Bush being undersized is a false narrative. He is 5' 11" and 235 pounds. Jordyn Brooks is an inch taller and 5 pounds heavier at 6' and 240 lbs. Bush is the same weight as Devin White and Roquan Smith.

If you're saying that Bush isn't any good on run defense, that's another issue. You might be right, but it won't be due to size. Most linebackers aren't going to compare favorably, size-wise, to offensive linemen.

toffee

Reaction score

Attachments

• DlD9N3nU0AAwbGv.jpg
    DlD9N3nU0AAwbGv.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 6
  • michigan-purdue-9933.jpg
    michigan-purdue-9933.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 7

Hawkmode

Reaction score
I would point out again, that Devin Bush being undersized is a false narrative. He is 5' 11" and 235 pounds. Jordyn Brooks is an inch taller and 5 pounds heavier at 6' and 240 lbs. Bush is the same weight as Devin White and Roquan Smith.

If you're saying that Bush isn't any good on run defense, that's another issue. You might be right, but it won't be due to size. Most linebackers aren't going to compare favorably, size-wise, to offensive linemen.
I was referring to comments from his old team that his "impact" in rush defense is challenged by the modern athletic larger guards/centers reaching 2nd level with zone blocking assignments. We didn't get to draft Jack Campbell who I feel is more like the Wags type linebackers that patrolled/defended the runners once featured before the transition to pass heavy teams. Bush is no "lightweight" but today's guards are heavier and quicker than those same times. Once Anthony Bradford "finds a home" in our O-Line...you'll see what I mean.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Y'all can say what you want but I'm excited to see DBush roaming the field for my team again.

bileever

Reaction score
I was referring to comments from his old team that his "impact" in rush defense is challenged by the modern athletic larger guards/centers reaching 2nd level with zone blocking assignments. We didn't get to draft Jack Campbell who I feel is more like the Wags type linebackers that patrolled/defended the runners once featured before the transition to pass heavy teams. Bush is no "lightweight" but today's guards are heavier and quicker than those same times. Once Anthony Bradford "finds a home" in our O-Line...you'll see what I mean.
It's true, Bush hasn't proven himself yet. We'll see once the season starts if he can ball or is easily knocked over like a bowling pin by blockers. Either result is possible. Too many times last year we saw our linebackers handled by offensive lineman.

The measurables are great, he ran a 4.43 at the combine, which is excellent for a linebacker. He also broad jumped over 10 feet and had a vertical leap of over 40 inches. He had 21 reps on the 225 pound bench press, so he's plenty strong. As a point of comparison, he was better than Fred Warner in every category, except bench press, where they were the same. (Of course, Fred Warner is an amazing player, and Bush isn't anywhere near his level. Warner plays with a ferocity and tenacity that makes him great. That's why he's an all-pro and has a $95 million contract.) There's so many intangibles that go into being a good player, and right now it's not clear whether Bush can be a decent NFL LB.

Let's hope that Bush has come into this season with something to prove.

keasley45

Reaction score
It's true, Bush hasn't proven himself yet. We'll see once the season starts if he can ball or is easily knocked over like a bowling pin by blockers. Either result is possible. Too many times last year we saw our linebackers handled by offensive lineman.

The measurables are great, he ran a 4.43 at the combine, which is excellent for a linebacker. He also broad jumped over 10 feet and had a vertical leap of over 40 inches. He had 21 reps on the 225 pound bench press, so he's plenty strong. As a point of comparison, he was better than Fred Warner in every category, except bench press, where they were the same. (Of course, Fred Warner is an amazing player, and Bush isn't anywhere near his level. Warner plays with a ferocity and tenacity that makes him great. That's why he's an all-pro and has a $95 million contract.) There's so many intangibles that go into being a good player, and right now it's not clear whether Bush can be a decent NFL LB.

Let's hope that Bush has come into this season with something to prove.

The fact that he measures out better than Warner.... that's a point his coaches can no doubt use to boost his confidence. Hopefully sticking him next to Bobby benefits his knowledge of the game. It certainly can't hurt.

I think he's a good gamble. He's got the tools. Hopefully in Seattle, he can put together the rest.

toffee

Reaction score
Jack Campbell was on most of my mocks, and I was hoping that we could draft him.