DeShawn Shead would you tender him 2nd Round pick? ~2.6milli

Erebus

Reaction score
HawkGA":1xly26ff said:
sutz":1xly26ff said:
HawkGA":1xly26ff said:
$600k is a steal. I'm not convinced the $2.6 mil would be a good deal but at $600k, absolutely.
Hell, I think $2.6 mill is a decent deal for a guy who already has experience in our system and has proven to be a solid contributor. I would be surprised if they don't tender him at the ERFA rate. Like you said, a steal.

Then we have the choice next year at RFA or a long term deal. I think maybe JS knows what he is doing. ;)

I'm not necessarily thinking the Seahawks wouldn't do $2.6 mil, but if I recall, there are different levels, right? He could tendered at not the 2nd round level, but maybe a 3rd or something a little lower. I would think teams would still likely shy away because of the monetary expense and the draft expense. Then the Hawks save a little money.

The only options are 1st round tender worth $3.3M, a 2nd round tender worth $2.3M, and an original round tender worth $1.5M. The round you tender someone at is the compensation you get if they leave. So the only cheaper option than a 2nd round tender for Shead next year when he is an RFA is the original round tender, in which case we'd get nothing in return, because he was undrafted.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Even if it were a 2.6M charge, you're not getting a valuable corner in FA for 2.6M .. so absolutely. I'd let him fight for the starting nod at CB next year too. Ideally with a rookie and the next set of big guys we want to turn into stars.

mikeak

Reaction score
Could give him a 3 year $3.2 million dollar deal with $1million guaranteed.

Then we don't pay him more than the $600k for next year plus $2.6million for two years after that but what he would like is more than next year's salary guaranteed.

Maybe the $2.6 is $2.7M next year so make it $3.3 or $3.4M 3 year deal with $1M guaranteed

Everyone wins

sutz

Reaction score
mikeak":373soww8 said:

Then we don't pay him more than the $600k for next year plus $2.6million for two years after that but what he would like is more than next year's salary guaranteed.

Maybe the $2.6 is $2.7M next year so make it $3.3 or $3.4M 3 year deal with $1M guaranteed

Everyone wins
I think Shead would be stupid to take that deal. :laugh:

Another good year and he'll be a $4-5 mill/year D-back.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
For sure. Shead really opened some eyes this year. I think he could turn into a solid RCB with high upside. Plus, his versatility should be of high value. I think he'd be the better option to keep than Lane. I don't get the affinity for Lane around here. I like him, he's a good corner, but guaranteed the Hawks sign him to a multi year deal, everyone will be disappointed because he'll most likely spend most of the contract on the injury report. At this point, he's more injury prone than Walter Thurmond, which seems nearly impossible. So with question marks about Lane, Simon, and Smith, tendering Shead should be a high priority.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
sutz":2hlkno49 said:
mikeak":2hlkno49 said:

Everyone wins

A great year and he'll be Byron Maxwell.

AKA - yeah Shead's not signing that dirt cheap deal

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3uzt39ja said:
sutz":3uzt39ja said:
mikeak":3uzt39ja said:

Everyone wins

A great year and he'll be Byron Maxwell.

AKA - yeah Shead's not signing that dirt cheap deal
He would be stupid to sign a 3 year deal that hardly increases his salary. No agent would advise him to sign that deal.

BUT that changes a little bit with a 2 year deal. A cheap 2 year deal with 70% guaranteed means that at worst he would make more than he would've on his one year deal (if he suffers career-ending injury or has a Cary Williams season) and at best he makes more than he did last year for 2 seasons and then hits it big in FA.

An agent could justify a 2 year deal like that because:
1. The extra guaranteed money follows agents' general rule of trying to secure as much money as possible

2. The extra year on the Hawks gives him a better chance to play a bigger role and secure an even BIGGER free agent deal. With the cap going up every year he could grab an even bigger slice of an even bigger pie.

More guaranteed money and an extra season in a system proven to make DBs rich is something that would be hard for a lot of agents to turn down. The sticking point would just be how much he gets paid for 2 years.

sutz

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1vxyrhdz said:
He would be stupid to sign a 3 year deal that hardly increases his salary. No agent would advise him to sign that deal.

BUT that changes a little bit with a 2 year deal. A cheap 2 year deal with 70% guaranteed means that at worst he would make more than he would've on his one year deal (if he suffers career-ending injury or has a Cary Williams season) and at best he makes more than he did last year for 2 seasons and then hits it big in FA.

An agent could justify a 2 year deal like that because:
1. The extra guaranteed money follows agents' general rule of trying to secure as much money as possible

2. The extra year on the Hawks gives him a better chance to play a bigger role and secure an even BIGGER free agent deal. With the cap going up every year he could grab an even bigger slice of an even bigger pie.

More guaranteed money and an extra season in a system proven to make DBs rich is something that would be hard for a lot of agents to turn down. The sticking point would just be how much he gets paid for 2 years.
The devil is always in the details. Why would the team, that already has him under contract, offer him a raise out of the blue 2 years before the end of it? Takes two to tango. What you're proposing would be kind of dumb for the team, since we can ERFA him this year, and still have a year to re-sign him, with the RFA in our pocket for next season. We're down to where a couple hundred thou here or there could have a significant effect on the structure of the team. Even if he is part of the team's long range plan, there is no reason for the team to make a move like that this off season.

The only way that would happen would be if he holds out, in which case the team would probably just cut him loose. He looks to have good upside, but he's hardly Kam Chancelor yet.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ivotuk":3sca36tq said:
I definitely would!

Listening to DD&M from last night, Clayton says it would cost around 2.6 million per year to tender him at the 2nd round. Per John, then the Seahawks could negotiate a multi-year contract from there.

IMHO, 2.6m would be cheap considering the way he has performed. Shead outplayed Carey Williams, and I think he would be just fine playing opposite of Sherman. Plus he has versatility, to play other positions.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... nd%20Moore

He's not all-world like a Sherman, but from consistency, versatility and familiarity standpoints, he's well worth it, IMO.

firebee

Reaction score
He's an exclusive rights free agent, I think we sit on him this year. That money is better served addressing other areas on this team and we don't have a ton of cap to work with, considering the overhaul we're likely to do on our offensive line. We have to resign Irvin or replace him, renegotiate other players like Bennett, Baldwin and Kam; resign Rubin and/or Mebane; resign Lane; Possibly resign Sweezy and a number of other players. A couple million is a lot to shell out when you don't have to and we don't have to shell that kind of money out for Shead this year with him being ERFA.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Erebus":1gic9qnd said:
HawkGA":1gic9qnd said:
sutz":1gic9qnd said:
HawkGA":1gic9qnd said:
$600k is a steal. I'm not convinced the $2.6 mil would be a good deal but at $600k, absolutely.
Hell, I think $2.6 mill is a decent deal for a guy who already has experience in our system and has proven to be a solid contributor. I would be surprised if they don't tender him at the ERFA rate. Like you said, a steal.

Then we have the choice next year at RFA or a long term deal. I think maybe JS knows what he is doing. ;)

I'm not necessarily thinking the Seahawks wouldn't do $2.6 mil, but if I recall, there are different levels, right? He could tendered at not the 2nd round level, but maybe a 3rd or something a little lower. I would think teams would still likely shy away because of the monetary expense and the draft expense. Then the Hawks save a little money.

The only options are 1st round tender worth $3.3M, a 2nd round tender worth $2.3M, and an original round tender worth $1.5M. The round you tender someone at is the compensation you get if they leave. So the only cheaper option than a 2nd round tender for Shead next year when he is an RFA is the original round tender, in which case we'd get nothing in return, because he was undrafted.

Thanks for the info!