Defending Bevell?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":3ta4aj7x said:
Fwiw, Petes venting his frustration of the passing game publicly now.

This is just my opinion... and maybe it's a little taboo for me to say this so I'll bury it in one of our half-dozen Bevell threads. What I'm getting out of Pete's frustration with the passing game, Cable's defense of his pass protection, Doug interrupting Bevell's press conference to ask rhetorically if the WRs are getting separation for him (to which Bevell responded "yes")... is that this is all subtly directed at ....Russell Wilson.

There are veiled shots being taken from all corners, and they are not being directed at the coordinator. When Doug says in his post game that the receivers are getting wide open in the scheme but that "we" are not capitalizing on those opportunities... that is an indictment of the QB, not the coordinator. When Cable says the protection is good enough for the scheme... that is an indictment of the QB's ability to get the ball out on time. Pete has consistently tempered his praise for the QB play all season, even when Salk and the like were praising him like school girls earlier in the year.

That's just my take. This is obviously all between the lines and open to interpretation. FWIW, I don't think it's beyond plausibility that Marshawn's "accountability" statement was directed at Wilson, though I'm really, really hoping it was directed at the D's ability to stop Charles.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1dxsq4vn said:
pehawk":1dxsq4vn said:
Fwiw, Petes venting his frustration of the passing game publicly now.

This is just my opinion... and maybe it's a little taboo for me to say this so I'll bury it in one of our half-dozen Bevell threads. What I'm getting out of Pete's frustration with the passing game, Cable's defense of his pass protection, Doug interrupting Bevell's press conference to ask rhetorically if the WRs are getting separation for him (to which Bevell responded "yes")... is that this is all subtly directed at ....Russell Wilson.

There are veiled shots being taken from all corners, and they are not being directed at the coordinator. When Doug says in his post game that the receivers are getting wide open in the scheme but that "we" are not capitalizing on those opportunities... that is an indictment of the QB, not the coordinator. When Cable says the protection is good enough for the scheme... that is an indictment of the QB's ability to get the ball out on time. Pete has consistently tempered his praise for the QB play all season, even when Salk and the like were praising him like school girls earlier in the year.

That's just my take. This is obviously all between the lines and open to interpretation. FWIW, I don't think it's beyond plausibility that Marshawn's "accountability" statement was directed at Wilson, though I'm really, really hoping it was directed at the D's ability to stop Charles.

Hey, that's a good read though. Cant argue it, that's for sure.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2jfzfcgn said:
Bevell loves to throw the ball. He loves to stretch the D, both vertically and horizontally. Unfortunately this year we don't really have the personnel for it. We all know the reasons for that. He's also all about protecting the football and not turning it over. Mixing it up, ball distribution, getting everybody involved, big plays and scoring points. Not at an astronomical level like the Broncos but consistently in the top 1/3rd of the league. Even with the struggles we've had this year, we're still the 5th highest scoring team in the NFC, only trailing the Cowboys and Saints by 1 point, and on pace to match almost exactly our scoring total from a year ago and 2012, minus all the defensive TD's thus far. And I imagine Cable and Bevell work fairly closely on the RO and running game. To say it's "all Cable" is a little bit disingenuous, no?

I'm no expert. That's just my observations.

This really needs more love. 5th in the league. More points than any other team in our division. Defense? They have allowed too many points.

Bevell has his issues, but I think we should fire Quinn.

SC

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
5th in the conference, but basically tied for 3rd. Somewhere around 10th in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":j9c2xgx4 said:

SC

How can Quinn go from the D-coordinator that coached one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL last year to getting fired this year?

If we're going to hold someone's feet to the fire for the drop off this year, then we need to hold Pete and John's feet. They're the one's who made the personnel moves, committed a ton of money to Harvin which prevented us from keeping other key players and didn't adequately fill in the holes during the off season in key positions like O-line, TE and D-line.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3o6mglcv said:
StoneCold":3o6mglcv said:

SC

How can Quinn go from the D-coordinator that coached one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL last year to getting fired this year?

If we're going to hold someone's feet to the fire for the drop off this year, then we need to hold Pete and John's feet. They're the one's who made the personnel moves, committed a ton of money to Harvin which prevented us from keeping other key players and didn't adequately fill in the holes during the off season in key positions like O-line, TE and D-line.

I was being sarcastic to point out how silly I think it is to call for any coaches head when we are one of the best teams in the league on Offense and Defense.

The difference this year, IMHO, is much more about execution than scheme. While you can point to instances where the scheme was screwy, and Scottemojo does a good job of that, our record is far more a result of dropped passes, penalties and missed tackles.

Go Hawks!

SC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":l3xwa2un said:
The difference this year, IMHO, is much more about execution than scheme. While you can point to instances where the scheme was screwy, and Scottemojo does a good job of that, our record is far more a result of dropped passes, penalties and missed tackles.

Go Hawks!

SC

Possibly, but I'd put a bigger ownness on the overall drop in talent on the field and injuries. You can't replace guys like Tate, Red, Clem, M-Rob, Breno, BB and Thurmond.........as well as all the injured players with the borderline practice squad players we've been running out there all year on both sides of the ball and expect to win like we did last year.

I still think we should be playing better because our core stars are still on the field, but other than Lynch they're not stepping up enough IMO to carry the team.

marko358

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":25h1wyex said:
Careful bruh. Ryan's gonna tell you how bad the 1st down call in the end zone was.

I think Bevell actually scripts the first 65 plays for each game so that play wasn't necessarily designed for that specific situation.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
marko358":2edv9acn said:
Zebulon Dak":2edv9acn said:
Careful bruh. Ryan's gonna tell you how bad the 1st down call in the end zone was.

I think Bevell actually scripts the first 65 plays for each game so that play wasn't necessarily designed for that specific situation.

See? Blameless. Thanks for the insight.

northseahawk

Reaction score
What I can't understand is how Quin is getting absolutely no criticism for the defense he is putting out there week after week. How an NFL D-coord, with the some of the best players/athlete, can't game plan and stop the damn dink and dunk passes for the last 10 weeks? I mean, how difficult can it be when that is the only thing our opponents do to us week after week and we have not done nothing to take that away?!

Largent80

Reaction score
Yup, I blame Quinn for letting Red and Clem walk.

I also blame him for all the injuries to the secondary and Wagner.

How in the HELL can he allow this?

hawk45

Reaction score
northseahawk":3g2cnlfp said:
What I can't understand is how Quin is getting absolutely no criticism for the defense he is putting out there week after week. How an NFL D-coord, with the some of the best players/athlete, can't game plan and stop the damn dink and dunk passes for the last 10 weeks? I mean, how difficult can it be when that is the only thing our opponents do to us week after week and we have not done nothing to take that away?!

The Cover 3 zone the Hawks play a lot of is vulnerable to the underneath routes by design, as your corners are bailing to get to their deep thirds (when the corners aren't in press).

Theoretically it shouldn't be quite so vulnerable in the middle of the field. Wagner's great closing speed made pass-catchers pay, and Kam also was was more effective underneath, whether he was outside in curl-flat responsibility, or inside on the hook routes.

Wagner's position is being played by much slower players, and Kam's injuries seem to be slowing him as well. Also, with Lane being out, you have a backup nickel corner in there at times as well.

The strength of the Cover 3 is limiting the big play without sacrificing run support. If we decided to use more zone out of other coverage shells we expose a different area of the field (like the deeper areas). If we run more man coverage, you have defenders turning and running with their coverage assignments, eyes not on the backfield, and run support suffers.

I'm sure DCs have tricks to shore things up that stop short of changing their entire philosophy, but our philosophy has always been vulnerable underneath, losing 3 key pieces in that underneath coverage isn't easily overcome.

Largent80

Reaction score
We had friggin Burley in in the 2nd game at SD with Lane out. He was a band aid. That band aid had no glue. Couple that with KJ and Smith playing like rookies and you have a recipe for an OC to exploit.

Bevell?......Why oh WHY do we try to pass in running situations in the RZ?

He is like the rabbit in Monty Python, bad intentions that get swatted away.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
To be fair, the Cardinals lost a lot more talent on D than Seattle has and is still surrendering less points. They've lost all their name-talent at linebacker, lost Dockett, lost Abraham, Campbell's been banged up. Bowles still has them plugging along. Now, some of that is a product of the scheme they run and some is just plain luck. Quinn is also at least somewhat handicapped in what he can change due to Pete's philosophy. However, the same limitation can be applied to Bevell.

If I'm being brutally honest, the defense is performing below its talent level, especially in the redzone. Can the same be said for the O? That's a debate. And yes, we miss Mebane. However, there are 31 other teams that also don't have Brandon Mebane. Probably 90% of them don't have anyone who's even close. Mebane's absence doesn't excuse allowing 6.3 ypc, especially when we knew KC had utterly no desire to throw down field.

Largent80

Reaction score
Well David, like I said before, (on defense) and after watching the game 4 times (each time focusing on different areas) the times I focused on defense, I saw Wright and Smith being out of position/wrong angles, Hill getting washed into obscurity, our defense would have been supplanted by X Box seeking housewives in Walmart on Black Friday.

Bevell?...C'Mon dude?...a fade route on 4th down?........Worst play call, maybe forever.

hawk45

Reaction score
Feel like the Cards are playing above their talent level on D, and credit to them, but don't think that means we're playing below our talent level. Defense has been doing good for the injuries IMO, aside from the last game.

Now if we look the same this week i.e. offer zero resistance to the Cards rushing attack this week, then yeah, I'll agree we're playing below the talent level. Don't expect #1 rush D without Mebane, but expect better than the KC game.