Dalton gets 6 yrs, $115 mil

kearly

Reaction score
From a football standpoint this Dalton extension is dumb, like Bill Bavasi paying Carlos Silva $48 million dumb.

To be fair, I heard on the radio that Dalton's deal is similar to Kaepernick's in that there is very little "true" guaranteed money. So if the Bengals decided to churn for a QB right now, and found one in the next few years, they could get out of the Dalton contract easily if needed. Of course, they haven't done so yet and give no indications that they will...

(edit: just remembered that Mike Brown basically runs the Bengals).

Seattle had Dalton as their #1 QB and had they traded down successfully in 2011, he'd probably be our QB right now. It would be very interesting to see how Seattle would have handled this situation, though like Scotte says, they may still have drafted Wilson out of competition. Anyway, bullet dodged.

hawk45

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3l9a84ag said:
Tical21":3l9a84ag said:
The Bengals just ensured themselves of not winning a championship over the next few years, way to go! The correct answer in this scenario is that you do not re-sign Daulton. You let him walk and try somebody else.
Well, technically the answer is they should have drafted a QB of some sort every one of the past 3 years, or signed Free Agents, should have been churning that number 2 spot looking for a guy to take his place.

I have maintained for years that the only thing worse than having a terrible QB is having a slightly above average guy like Dalton or Schaub or Fitzpatrick. Teams end up losing 2 or 3 extra years tying themselves to those just not quite good enough players with premium deals.

^^^^ My biggest fear when we signed Flynn. Just good enough the FO is scared to move on, not good enough to get a ring.

Of course our FO started Russ without giving a rip what kind of money Flynn got, and the rest is history. Praise Pete and John.

Latest posts