Crazy amount of ads on this website?

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
When not logged in, this site is absolutely run down with ads to the point that it makes it unbearable to use. What's up with that?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
AdBlock. It's free and your best friend.

bileever

Reaction score
What? Ads? I don't see any on this site.

OP
OP
M

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
AdBlock. It's free and your best friend.

I am against using AdBlock for many reasons, especially on sites like this message board. I assume smaller sites need all the ad revenue that can get, but maybe your site is different?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am against using AdBlock for many reasons, especially on sites like this message board. I assume smaller sites need all the ad revenue that can get, but maybe your site is different?

It's certainly a preference thing. I use it all the time for most websites. I can't speak for the owner so I have no idea what his financial status is. When I owned the site it was ad-free so we did base our revenue off of member donations. As for all the ads, out of curiosity, why not just log in and not deal with them?

notyou

Reaction score
Snowflakes deleting posts. We can't tell the truth about shaggy around here?

Jville

Reaction score
When not logged in, this site is absolutely run down with ads to the point that it makes it unbearable to use. What's up with that?

I see no advertisements regardless of whether I'm signed in of not.

But, I'm rather picky about which web browser I trust and which search engine I use.

I also maintain a disciplined cookie diet as I travel around the web.

It's been my observation ...... that the individual choices we make come with corresponding consequences.

OP
OP
M

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
It's certainly a preference thing. I use it all the time for most websites. I can't speak for the owner so I have no idea what his financial status is. When I owned the site it was ad-free so we did base our revenue off of member donations. As for all the ads, out of curiosity, why not just log in and not deal with them?

I do log in on my personal device, but can't/don't on my work device. Didn't used to be a problem. I prefer to lurk anyway, don't post all that often.

OP
OP
M

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
I see no advertisements regardless of whether I'm signed in of not.

But, I'm rather picky about which web browser I trust and which search engine I use.

I also maintain a disciplined cookie diet as I travel around the web.

It's been my observation ...... that the individual choices we make come with corresponding consequences.

Ads on every device I own, regardless of browser. I clear cookies, etc, and they are still there. These aren't targeted ads as far as I can tell, and this is the only website I see them on. It's only when not logged in, so clearly there is something occuring on this site specifically.

Is no one else seeing this?

OP
OP
M

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
Both mobile and desktop sites. Sometimes full page ads pop up as well, if given time. They get more and more intrusive over time, just a cycle of the same brand of ads though. Makes reading the site difficult and slow.

Somos doces

Reaction score
Both mobile and desktop sites. Sometimes full page ads pop up as well, if given time. They get more and more intrusive over time, just a cycle of the same brand of ads though. Makes reading the site difficult and slow.
I'm unlurking after a long time not logging in to say you're not alone, MH425. The site has been rife with ads this week, on both desktop and mobile. They're incredibly intrusive and often not closeable, and make reading through the threads a chore. Not user-friendly in the least.

But as someone not wanting to mindlessly complain, I'll just say, I am putting up with the ads (thus far...) because 1.) I enjoy seeing other fans' thoughts on my favorite sports team; and 2.) I can generally scroll past them without reading or watching them. That said, if the ads increase further, it likely will affect my interest in visiting this site multiple times per day.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The owner must have added a new advertisement model. He isn't very active here these days so I just don't know.

Jville

Reaction score
Ads on every device I own, regardless of browser. I clear cookies, etc, and they are still there. These aren't targeted ads as far as I can tell, and this is the only website I see them on. It's only when not logged in, so clearly there is something occuring on this site specifically.

Is no one else seeing this?

I've confirmed what you are seeing .......

I tried a test search using the Microsoft's "Edge" browser and wow! I see what your seeing. What an annoying mess. Pop up ads and noisy borders.

No such problems with my Firefox browser. No advertisements cluttering up my view of the message board. A clean view and a whole lot safer as well.

Might want to give the Firefox browser a test run. Mozilla is a good organization.

My recommendations for a safer clutter free experience are:
Browser >>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browsers/update-your-browser/
Search Engine >>> https://duckduckgo.com/
E-mail >>> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Life is good when making good choices.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes I recently put ads on for only guest. I'm still tweaking them. I get ads are a pain but don't any of you remember before I took over, as logged in members, you saw ads. I took those ads down right when I bought the forum. There have been zero ads on here for awhile now and as a logged in member, you won't see any.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure how it's so intrusive either. 99% of the ads can be closed out instantly and they really aren't in the way. Here's what my phone looks like while logged out. Screenshot 20231206 005821 Samsung Internet

Jville

Reaction score
I'm unlurking after a long time not logging in to say you're not alone, MH425. The site has been rife with ads this week, on both desktop and mobile. They're incredibly intrusive and often not closeable, and make reading through the threads a chore. Not user-friendly in the least.

But as someone not wanting to mindlessly complain, I'll just say, I am putting up with the ads (thus far...) because 1.) I enjoy seeing other fans' thoughts on my favorite sports team; and 2.) I can generally scroll past them without reading or watching them. That said, if the ads increase further, it likely will affect my interest in visiting this site multiple times per day.

I've confirmed what you are seeing .......

I tried a test search using the Microsoft's "Edge" browser and wow! I see what your seeing. What an annoying mess. Pop up ads and noisy borders.

No such problems with my Firefox browser. No advertisements cluttering up my view of the message board. A clean view and a whole lot safer as well.

Might want to give the Firefox browser a test run. Mozilla is a good organization.

My recommendations for a safer clutter free experience are:
Browser >>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browsers/update-your-browser/
Search Engine >>> https://duckduckgo.com/
E-mail >>> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Life is good when making good choices.

Jville

Reaction score
Yes I recently put ads on for only guest. I'm still tweaking them. I get ads are a pain but don't any of you remember before I took over, as logged in members, you saw ads. I took those ads down right when I bought the forum. There have been zero ads on here for awhile now and as a logged in member, you won't see any.
Much appreciated.