Crazy amount of ads on this website?

OP
OP
M

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
I've confirmed what you are seeing .......

I tried a test search using the Microsoft's "Edge" browser and wow! I see what your seeing. What an annoying mess. Pop up ads and noisy borders.

No such problems with my Firefox browser. No advertisements cluttering up my view of the message board. A clean view and a whole lot safer as well.

Might want to give the Firefox browser a test run. Mozilla is a good organization.

My recommendations for a safer clutter free experience are:
Browser >>> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browsers/update-your-browser/
Search Engine >>> https://duckduckgo.com/
E-mail >>> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Life is good when making good choices.

I am using Firefox (mobile) and still seeing ads, but I will try on my desktop. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
M

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
Not sure how it's so intrusive either. 99% of the ads can be closed out instantly and they really aren't in the way. Here's what my phone looks like while logged out.

Your pic is still loading ads, hence the grey bar. Here's what it looks like when the ads fully load. Over 50% of the screen is ads, some layered on top of others so they can't be clicked, and some are outright timed so they can't be closed until the timer is up. Almost all of the ads have sound as well which adds another element of annoying.

I am not sure when you took over ownership but I do remember there were banner ads, which were much less intrusive. I can deal with a static ad that I can scroll past. These popups, pop ins, and pop unders are making it nearly impossible to use the site without logging in.

I do log in on my personal devices, but there are times I am using devices that I don't want to (or can't) log in with. And to be honest, I usually just like to lurk anyway, so no reason to log in. These ads are making that nearly impossible.

Appreciate the response, BTW. I am not trying to piss anyone off, I just noticed this new behavior and wasn't sure if it was intentional. You might want to find a different ad service moving forward. Just my two cents.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
View attachment 62324

Your pic is still loading ads, hence the grey bar. Here's what it looks like when the ads fully load. Over 50% of the screen is ads, some layered on top of others so they can't be clicked, and some are outright timed so they can't be closed until the timer is up. Almost all of the ads have sound as well which adds another element of annoying.

I am not sure when you took over ownership but I do remember there were banner ads, which were much less intrusive. I can deal with a static ad that I can scroll past. These popups, pop ins, and pop unders are making it nearly impossible to use the site without logging in.

I do log in on my personal devices, but there are times I am using devices that I don't want to (or can't) log in with. And to be honest, I usually just like to lurk anyway, so no reason to log in. These ads are making that nearly impossible.

Appreciate the response, BTW. I am not trying to piss anyone off, I just noticed this new behavior and wasn't sure if it was intentional. You might want to find a different ad service moving forward. Just my two cents.

I totally get it when it comes to ads. They are annoying. I just installed these and still tweaking them. Most are closable and can be closed pretty quickly, but I do understand how annoying they can be and I'm sorry about all that.

notyou

Reaction score
I totally get it when it comes to ads. They are annoying. I just installed these and still tweaking them. Most are closable and can be closed pretty quickly, but I do understand how annoying they can be and I'm sorry about all that.
Not as annoying as the sidebar, though. My adblocker takes care of ads. It's a pain in the ass dealing with the annoying sidebar.

OP
OP
M

Mike Hawk 425

Reaction score
So he should just use his smart phone?

I use it when I can, but that's not always possible for various reasons. Either way, my ability to log in or not doesn't change the reality of how out of control the ads are on the page. If you weren't already member here, they probably would be a huge turnoff to joining the site. I was just trying to figure out if it was intended behavior or not.

I only check the site logged in now, because of how bad it is/was, but that also means the site isn't getting any ad revenue from my clicks/views. It's a weird catch 22 I would love to support the site, but I can't stand all that ad craziness.