Cowherd "RW smartest QB ever"

Mick063

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":285agt2q said:
At this time the elite category is really just Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

Luck, Newton, Big Ben and Russell Wilson are fighting to get into the club. There will be a changing of the guard shortly here.

Some reasons why they are not yet elite, whether you agree with it or not.

1) Brady, Rodgers and Brees have been at a top level for a LOOOONG time. To be elite, you have to do it consistently for an extended period of time.

2) Being elite is about accumulating stats, and some of the players don't throw the ball enough to accumulate 5000 yards and 40 TDs. The average fan doesn't care about QB rating, accuracy, efficiency, etc.

3) Defense. Like early on in Beg Ben's career, it was said that he was carried by his defense. The same is happening for Wilson. Whether it is true or not, the perception is that any QB could win with those elite defenses so they aren't as valuable.

Sorry. I'm not buying your snake oil.

You are defining a Hall of Famer.

Russell will get in Canton as well, but for now, he isn't a Hall of Fame player. He is simply an elite player.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the type of topic that devolves into semantics right quick.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
An article about elite QBs from John Clayton written on Sept 4, 2010. He has Aaron Rodgers as #6 on his list......Rodgers would have been in the league for his 6th year, but it would be his 3rd year of actual STARTING. The funny thing too is the article is written before Rodgers had even played his first game for 2010, so Clayton is basing it on his first two years.

Rodgers won the Superbowl in 2010 with the #2 Defense by DVOA with the #10 ranked Rushing attack.
Rodgers also in 2009 had the #2 Defense by DVOA with the #2 ranked Rushing attack.

Very comparable to Wilson's but let's not give any credit to Wilson because he's not Aaron Rodgers, even if Rodgers had the same kind of help along the way.

In ranking the league's starting quarterbacks, I have three categories. The first is the Elite level, which includes quarterbacks who can carry teams into the playoffs. An elite quarterback is one who can complete better than 60 percent of his passes, has the potential to throw for 4,000 yards and has fourth-quarter comeback ability.

Going by that requirements doesn't matter how long Wilson has been in the league he should be considered elite after this year if he keeps the pace he's been on.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview10/column ... id=5489176

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawks46":tzjw6owp said:
FlyHawksFly":tzjw6owp said:
Cowherd is the worst.

You obviously don't listen to Jim Rome. He calls his audience "drones" and is almost completely about drama. There's very little substance to that show.

Every time I hear his voice with all the dramatic inflections, I want to punch him in the face.

Two of the best. Both of them are GREAT at interviewing people. The worst part of their shows are when they open the phone lines.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Cartire":wvhcfk6k said:
FlyHawksFly":wvhcfk6k said:
HawkerD":wvhcfk6k said:
To admit RW is elite you have to admit you are wrong. Thats the hardest thing for people to do. We have a phycologial addiction to being right and virtually zero pundits thought RW could be a starter in this league.

The pick was panned. Everyone except for the seahawks braintrust thought Flynn should have started. when it worked they had to pin the success of the team on the Defense and run game and discount RW's contribution. Finally 4 years later RW begins to get his.

In the End RW will have a hand full of rings. There will be no denying his effectiveness. The old gaurd will bow down.

This is revisionist history though. There were loads of people that thought RW was the better choice, especially by the time he was actually announced as starting.

Lets be real fair here, "Loads" is extremely subjective. Every prospect has his supporters who think he'll be the best. But the national narrative was that we BOMBED the draft, and RW was one of the reasons why.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1165 ... -draft-day

remember this doozy.

"As if the day wasn’t bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn’t fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day."

That is classic stuff. Almost everyone made an ass of themselves about this. I remember watching a lot of NFL Network and all they were saying was "the three headed QB competition is wrong and Flynn needs to get starter reps" or "who cares what happens in south Alaska" etc.

And oh yeah, I remember myself wanting Flynn to start... He seemed better than Tarvaris and it was hard to believe in a third round rookie...

In retrospect it is that draft that lifted the Seahawks' talent level above Niners in their dominant prime under Harbaugh and was the catalyst of success. That will be remembered as one of the most memorable single drafts by any team in NFL history. Even if Irvin was a "near bust" as a first round reach. Wagner, Wilson, Lane, Sweezy. Huge players, huge storylines.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":9lmx5qot said:
Mike Rob had said that it wasn't even easy for Wilson, even if he was presumed the starter, the team didn't have his back yet. Mike Rob mentioned that Wilson overhead some of the conversation from his teammates that was questioning if they need the rookie to start because they were losing games with him. The front office love Wilson, his teammates were unsure if he was the answer. Mike Rob said that fired Wilson up, and you know the rest of the history. Even his teammates had doubted him at one point.

Sidney Rice was one of the initial doubters. Baldwin was laughing when Sid had to finally admit Russ proved him wrong.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Aros":2onv3ihe said:
I often wonder why there is such reluctance around the league to call him elite. Is it simply because he has to earn the title by putting in the time? Is 4 years too soon to call a QB elite? I think that's ridiculous. It can't be the size thing can it? I know there is a bias to consider Russell a "true" quarterback until he shows he can be a pocket passer. Well this past month not only has he shown he can be a pocket passer but he's done it while blowing up historical records AND without Marshawn Lynch who many thought was the real reason behind his success.

All this kid has done since he's been in the league is show that he is as elite quarterback as you can get.

Yet the fools will continue to debate if he's even worthy of the title.

At least some are beginning to wake from their slumbers.

Yards . . . that's it. But Wilson is on pace for 4,000+ yards and 30+ TDs this season with one of the highest QB ratings in the league history, so maybe they will shut up now.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
Before Russell arrived, no one thought of Pete as a great coach nor Marshawn a great back. They were both considered good but not elite. How many pundits had us as SB favorites going into the 2012 season with that great defense and run game. It's RUSSELL who has had the biggest role in turning this team around and that is why he's elite. I watched this kid throw for 30 TDs and 4ints in a pro style offense behind that huge Wisc offensive line, set the FBS record for most consecutive games throwing a TD, and highest all time QBR in a season. There is no doubt in my mind that he has been handcuffed by Pete Carroll until now, and it has stunted the growth and stats that some of you care so much about.

mikeak

Reaction score
Aros":1bxd9bet said:
This is the type of topic that devolves into semantics right quick.

That is true. Which is why Cowherd should be understood based on how explains elite and not the listeners understanding.

Same thing a few years ago when he said Rose was great just not NBA MVP. People called in and asked why he hated Rose.....

Cartire

Reaction score
MarylandHawk":8n47836m said:
Before Russell arrived, no one thought of Pete as a great coach...

This is patently false.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Cowherd irritated me the first time I heard him but he's usually spot on with his assessment of things in the sports world, at least as far as my opinion is concerned, and he's the one talk guy who consistently makes me think about things from s different point of view if my opinion is different. Whatever you think of him he's a pro at what he does.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
MarylandHawk":2c1qn9wm said:
Before Russell arrived, no one thought of Pete as a great coach nor Marshawn a great back. They were both considered good but not elite. How many pundits had us as SB favorites going into the 2012 season with that great defense and run game. It's RUSSELL who has had the biggest role in turning this team around and that is why he's elite. I watched this kid throw for 30 TDs and 4ints in a pro style offense behind that huge Wisc offensive line, set the FBS record for most consecutive games throwing a TD, and highest all time QBR in a season. There is no doubt in my mind that he has been handcuffed by Pete Carroll until now, and it has stunted the growth and stats that some of you care so much about.
Amen Brother.

He makes players better where ever he goes.
The guy has won or held the lead in every game since his sophomore year. He has carried his Wolfpack team and brought his dynamic passing game to Wisc. Hasnt lost a game by more than 10 pts since his soph year in college. Was winging it like this in college when he set the all time single season FBS qb rating while completing 72% of his passes and 10 yds per attempt. He once hinted that those were his goals statistically in the NFL. Now we are finding those stats are attainable given the opportunities to throw.