Could Noah Fant, Will Dissly break out in Seattle Seahawks' post-Russell Wilson offense?

sutz

Reaction score
The reason I’m skeptical is because the Seahawks have never had a monster TE in the history of the organization. When jimmy graham is the career leader in stats, that’s not good.
Maybe that's because they've never had an offensive system or a QB that really exploited the things that TEs can do. 😉

sc85sis

Reaction score
Every QB has things they're good at and things they not as good at. Obviously there are degrees of "good" from quarterback to quarterback. Russ has an unbelievably great long ball to the perimeter. It's his bread and butter. He's also traditionally been great at scrambling - there's a reason Pete wanted the Hawks to be better at the scramble drill than any other team. He was taking advantage of what Russ did well. Russ was not as good at throwing consistently over the middle or taking what was there instead of scrambling and looking for the bomb. That doesn't mean he can't do so, it's just not what he's best at. And so the team didn't do it nearly as much as other teams.

Can Geno or Lock distribute the ball more evenly, thus getting the TEs involved more? That's certainly the hope, and we seem to have the tight ends to make it feasible. Time will tell.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Some of my most favorite and memorable plays during the Wilson years were the long seam routes down the middle to TE's. Sir, may I have some more please.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maybe that's because they've never had an offensive system or a QB that really exploited the things that TEs can do. 😉

And what makes anybody think they do now?

GemCity

Reaction score
The reason I’m skeptical is because the Seahawks have never had a monster TE in the history of the organization. When jimmy graham is the career leader in stats, that’s not good.
This.

Plus, you know…Drew Lock…Geno Smith. I understand the optimism. I’m excited too. Didn’t want to lose RW but that’s water under the bridge.

But the homerism has to face reality.

Just waiting for Will Levis…

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Mike Tice was a freak

IndyHawk

Reaction score
How many monster TE's has there been since the 80's?
I think most think a receiving TE with numbers is so
great but really why?Your teams WR's suck?Your TE
can't block?I'm just saying putting a taller WR at TE is
not all you think it might be.
Mark Bavaro,Tony Gonzalez,Shannon Sharpe,Gronk and
Kittle are ones that come to my mind that can block and
catch.
So the odds of the Hawks ever getting one of these were
super low..Jimmy was a great catching WR at the TE spot
and Russ couldn't pass to him very well..I remember the
passes at his knees.
In the end zone was a different story(toss it to the hoop).
As for the QB's we have now to properly use the TE's?
I believe we will be fine..Just do what Russ couldn't
Take what the D gives,use the short outs and middle of
field..It's not hard if you aren't trying to be a hero.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Fant's YAC potential is fantastic if he can get the ball in stride. We all know Dissley and catch and has some decent YAC ability as well. I liked Parkinson, he is a decent blocker and can catch.
I think our issues will be on the line and how accurate the QBs are under pressure. I think the take on our QB's is that they wilt under pressure. Pressure will impact the passing game. How our QB's respond will determine IF the tight ends can take off. My hope is that the running game will take some pressure off. If we can just avoid third and long situations we'll be better off.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team needs to change it’s scheme a bit and part of that change could be the more effective use of a TE in the O. Wilson feared passing over the middle b/c he had difficulty seeing his TE player come open and wanted to protect the ball instead of his deep strikes or jump balls in the end zone.

Maybe Smith or Lock will see the TEs better and use them as a resource. Time will tell the answer to this but there is little doubt that there is good talent available to our QBs at the TE position. I am hopeful we’ll see some better use of them now.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
If the team wanted a receiving TE rather than a blocking TE management would have re-signed Everett rather than Dissly.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
If the team wanted a receiving TE rather than a blocking TE management would have re-signed Everett rather than Dissly.
The team apparently wanted both a receiving TE and a blocking TE, and chose to get the receiving TE via the Wilson trade rather than resigning Everett.

Rosco

Reaction score
The team needs to change it’s scheme a bit and part of that change could be the more effective use of a TE in the O. Wilson feared passing over the middle b/c he had difficulty seeing his TE player come open and wanted to protect the ball instead of his deep strikes or jump balls in the end zone.

Maybe Smith or Lock will see the TEs better and use them as a resource. Time will tell the answer to this but there is little doubt that there is good talent available to our QBs at the TE position. I am hopeful we’ll see some better use of them now.
The scheme doesn’t need to change per say. Assuming Shane Waldron is running a WCO. TEs are a big staple of a WCO. Just a matter of having a QB that can run a WCO.

niveky

Reaction score
I liked the drama of the long bombs but using the whole field puts more pressure on the oposing team's defense. Maybe we'll be better than predicted because of the surprize element. We don't know what'll happen but the other teams don't know us either.
For long stretches periodically the offense would sputter and in different years there were some different reasons but I feel like the reliance on the long ball(even though Wilson has heaps of highlight reals for those) allowed defenses to really limit what the offense did. TE's can get those dirty yards, that keep moving the chains and make down and distance a lot more maeagable. If they can run block well that also gives the added benefit of making runs so much easier because since they could possibly be a real threat to catch a ball any play they are in the game it can't be assumed anytime there are the extra blocking looks that they would just be going for the run, so that would help the rb's too.