Could Noah Fant, Will Dissly break out in Seattle Seahawks' post-Russell Wilson offense?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Specifically, the expectation is that Drew Lock and/or Geno Smith will be more inclined to dump the ball off and throw it to the short-middle portion of the field, which is tight end territory. Thus, Fant, Dissly & Co. will be more involved in the Seahawks' offense than their tight ends have been for much of the past decade.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, 25% of Wilson's career pass attempts have been thrown zero to 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and between the field numbers. That's the fourth-lowest rate in the NFL among 55 passers with at least 1,000 attempts since 2012.

It hasn't stopped Wilson from becoming one of the game's elite quarterbacks, but favoring deep shots to the perimeter over shorter throws helps explain why his tight ends were rarely a prominent feature of the Seahawks' offense.

John63

Reaction score
Maybe but it depends on your definition of breakout. I doubt it but who knows for sure. I mean in Wilson's last full year the TEs combined for 715 yards, 6 tds that's not bad. its top 10

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At some point or another we'd hope that the OC in the absence of Wilson will start using TEs more often in their scheme. As we are aware either RW was reluctant to throw over the middle or down the seams and did so only rarely. Hopefully Waldron with both Fant and Dissly will now start doing that more often as the QBs try to play the scheme the coaches want played.

My answer would be Yes.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I would love to see something other than the long bomb. Drew Lock and Fant have hooked up before so I would think it will happen. If Fant can block at the LOS he will help his own game when those passes are needed.

Chawker

Reaction score
I'm thinking that it lies with the QBs comfortably to throw the ball over the middle and his ability to make precise passes. That and a TE you can trust to run his routs in a way to get separation from a defender and his ability to make the catch. Some team don't put a high priority on it and limit there time on working on it.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I liked the drama of the long bombs but using the whole field puts more pressure on the oposing team's defense. Maybe we'll be better than predicted because of the surprize element. We don't know what'll happen but the other teams don't know us either.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sounds like some have already decided? Give the kid a chance, he's a baller. And we know what Dis can do when he's actually used in the passing game.
IF they don't ball out, you can look at the REAL issue: if they go with Lock or Geno.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I have been jealous of teams that threw to their TEs for a loooooong time. Including the Jimmy Graham "we will ignore you until we get to the red zone" years. I hope it happens. TE catches in the middle or on the seam for big chunk yardage would make me happy.

chrispy

Reaction score
Of course, this question is much more related to your QB expectation than it is Fant or Dissly.

My belief is that the QB competition will almost solely be determined by success in the short passing game while still taking care of the ball. That's why Geno is currently sitting at 1: more consistent accuracy. ...but TCamp will provide all the information and opportunity to make that call.

Will the TE position "break out"...? If so, there may be a much later QB draft pick next off-season. Alternatively, I'd guess the '23 season sees a larger jump in TE contribution than '22.

The TE fantasy pool this year might determine a lot of league winners- pretty thin.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
this year? no, not a chance. NOT.GOING.TO HAPPEN. Next year and beyond will depend on who they select in the draft.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I have been jealous of teams that threw to their TEs for a loooooong time. Including the Jimmy Graham "we will ignore you until we get to the red zone" years. I hope it happens. TE catches in the middle or on the seam for big chunk yardage would make me happy.
What really pissed me off about his big year of TDs is that he could do the same thing for a 4 yard 1st down. They just never used him for it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
For all the legit criticism of Wilson, it's undebateable that defenses had to repect his long bomb. This left the middle of the field frustratingly open but not touched. Our tight ends should have accumulated monster stats.

With Wilson out of the picture, teams won't need to worry so much about that deep ball, so the middle of the field won't be as open.

Smellyman

Reaction score
For all the legit criticism of Wilson, it's undebateable that defenses had to repect his long bomb. This left the middle of the field frustratingly open but not touched. Our tight ends should have accumulated monster stats.

With Wilson out of the picture, teams won't need to worry so much about that deep ball, so the middle of the field won't be as open.
Lock's deep ball will keep them honest, and with DK and Lockett, no matter who is throwing it the deep ball will be respected.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Yeah. They can and they will. Let’s not forget about Parkinson either. This a very good tight end room. Fant can be the guy that demands attention over the middle thus leaving Lockett and DK free to get open and exploit coverages. People are going to sh!t their pants when this team makes the playoffs

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The reason I’m skeptical is because the Seahawks have never had a monster TE in the history of the organization. When jimmy graham is the career leader in stats, that’s not good.