Confident Cody Barton Emerging as Starter

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
It was only a matter of time before Greg Bell delivered his go Army plug .....

Linebacker corp remains a work in progress.

Keeping an eye on the process.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Disagree. Cody is a very good LB who is just now starting to get reps as a starter, and will only improve from here on out. He will prove the doubters wrong!
I disagree. He just hasn't made any substantial improvements in his play. He's just limited on what he can do. He will carve out a career but not ever as a starter. I hope they draft his replacement.

Own The West

Reaction score
I find Pete’s comments confusing since we’re past the trade deadline... If the defense suddenly clicks and we’re a top 10 unit again then I’ll humbly defer to the master, but my inner skeptic keeps going, “he’s selling something.”

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A head coach saying a 4 year vet who has over 600 snaps under his belt "has turned a corner" is not a compliment. It's an indictment. This is what you say about a rookie in week 10.

The Hawks and our local media spin machine can tell us all they want how good Barton is playing, but he's a mediocre NFL LB who won't be on the roster next year because he's not good enough to give a 2nd contract to.

The End.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
It's not over. The process continues ..... 12/11 @1:25 PM PST.

These are the best of times.

sutz

Reaction score
A head coach saying a 4 year vet who has over 600 snaps under his belt "has turned a corner" is not a compliment. It's an indictment. This is what you say about a rookie in week 10.

The Hawks and our local media spin machine can tell us all they want how good Barton is playing, but he's a mediocre NFL LB who won't be on the roster next year because he's not good enough to give a 2nd contract to.

The End.
A 4 year vet who didn't get to play much sitting behind Wags and JK on the roster. 🤷‍♂️

This is his first full season to start. Sure, he's not a rookie, but he hasn't gotten much time actually on the field in real action. I give him a bit of a pass so far.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I must be watching a different player. Because he misses SO many assignments and tackles. That should actually matter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A 4 year vet who didn't get to play much sitting behind Wags and JK on the roster. 🤷‍♂️

This is his first full season to start. Sure, he's not a rookie, but he hasn't gotten much time actually on the field in real action. I give him a bit of a pass so far.

Like I said, he's played 600 snaps, Barton's had PLENTY of opportunity to prove he's an NFL caliber MLB.

I've yet to see any tape on him blowing up the hole, pushing RB's back behind the line or even holding them up at the line.

Barton's fine laterally, and he's decent in pass coverage. But if you're going to run a 3-4, or even 4-3 you need your MLB's to be game wreckers. Not finesse coverage backers.

It's literally why we went out and got Abrams off the scrap heap, to help the D tackles and LB's in the box from being run over at the 2nd level.

If you want our defense to take the next step, Barton's not the answer. He's just not. He's a fringe WIL backer in a 4-3.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I'm cognizant that this is year one of the post Bobby Wagner era. And year two of the post KJ Wright era.

Getting better every day cause how they finish matters.

cymatica

Reaction score

Yet he is playing far worse than players with much less experience. He is just not a starter

evergreen

Reaction score
He’s gotten a few fourth down interceptions. He’s usually running after a crossing receiver or runner. Or he’s locked up in some block as a runner goes by. He’s good for ST and depth. Not ready for prime time.