Compensatory Picks

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
This is a horrendously loaded question. Let's just say if the NFL's hiring practices were actually fair we wouldn't need the Rooney Rule.

The NFLs hiring practices don’t need the Rooney Rule. The league literally has zero reason to discriminate a coaching hire. They churn through head coaches no matter skin color based 95% of the time on their on-field performance. If they suck they get fired & next guy gets a chance. The idea the league is preventing talented coaches from having a shot is so dumb because no team would pass up a chance to hire a guy worthy of the job based on skin color.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
The NFLs hiring practices don’t need the Rooney Rule. The league literally has zero reason to discriminate a coaching hire. They churn through head coaches no matter skin color based 95% of the time on their on-field performance. If they suck they get fired & next guy gets a chance. The idea the league is preventing talented coaches from having a shot is so dumb because no team would pass up a chance to hire a guy worthy of the job based on skin color.

Except they were excluding Black coaching candidates for decades until the NFL had to step in and create this rule. It's almost like you want to stay in being wrong without actually learning why the rule was put in place in the first place.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Which is why the Rooney Rule was created because your entire point just got shit on by it. I wish it didn't exist and everyone was hired off of their metrics and not a good ol' boy system but unfortunately the NFL put itself in this position
lol that's some twisted logic. You hire the best candidate regardless of skin color, that's what makes the rule stupid. If you're an owner, are you really going to spite yourself and not look at every good candidate because they aren't white? No, no you wouldn't because you are in the business of winning football games not creating some imaginary club where mediocrity rules over reason.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's probably offensive to use the "woke" term to describe something that has nothing to do with liberal ideology.

How is SF's management poor to get these picks? you get compensatory picks for losing FA's relative to what you sign. You get compensatory picks for training and advancing black coaches. How is any of that bad management?

I still don’t understand how The league awards comp picks for players. Cj beathard and Mullens both Moved in free agency to new teams with short, cheap contracts, yet the 9ers only got back one pick for Cjb, which was the Purdy pick. Plus I don’t get how the league can rate some picks as high as the fifth round. I’m still confused as to how it works.

The Rooney Rule picks are way more transparent. If a minority of any hue or woman gets hired as gm or hc, that’s two picks over two years. If both are Hired, then you get three picks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Short version is that only some of the players are classified as compensatory free agents (CFAs). It depends on if their contract expires or they get released, and the timing of your signing. The NFL counts up how many CFAs you added and how many you lost, and that's the starting point when it comes to awarding you picks. Then they look at the size of the contract that the CFAs signed in order to decide what level of pick every team gets, and there's a cutoff so that only the top 32 contracts get offset with compensatory selections.

Here's what it looks like so far, we have no comp picks coming at the moment.

This chart is constantly updated at overthecap.com.

cymatica

Reaction score
This is a horrendously loaded question. Let's just say if the NFL's hiring practices were actually fair we wouldn't need the Rooney Rule.
It's not loaded because it's exactly what is happening, either you support it or you don't.

What's not fair about hiring practices? Teams aren't going to pass on great coaches because they aren't white, that's ridiculous. What's not fair is interviewing someone because they check the skin color box, just to waste their time when you had another coach in mind the entire time

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Which is why the Rooney Rule was created because your entire point just got shit on by it. I wish it didn't exist and everyone was hired off of their metrics and not a good ol' boy system but unfortunately the NFL put itself in this position
The Rooney Rule was created because some old white guys thought black people couldn't make it on their own without whitey's help. What they actually created was a system where black coaching candidates can never be sure they're actually being considered for a position unless they're the second black candidate to be asked to interview. THAT is blatantly racist.

Regarding compensatory picks, I'd prefer it if either they are completely transparent about the formula or they do away with the system altogether.

Last edited:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
You think teams should be rewarded based on skin color?

One doesn't have to agree with the Diverse Reeards Policy to take advantage of it.

Using it to stock up on free, unlimited, 3rd round comp picks gives a team a competitive advantage over teams that don't.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
lol that's some twisted logic. You hire the best candidate regardless of skin color, that's what makes the rule stupid. If you're an owner, are you really going to spite yourself and not look at every good candidate because they aren't white? No, no you wouldn't because you are in the business of winning football games not creating some imaginary club where mediocrity rules over reason.
Unless you're a racist owner. An owner who has a bias toward skin color would simply say, "a white dude can do a better job..." and then simply hire the white guy. That's why the rule was put in place. What's so hard to understand? Some people are racist, and can't see beyond that.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
One doesn't have to agree with the Diverse Reeards Policy to take advantage of it.

Using it to stock up on free, unlimited, 3rd round comp picks gives a team a competitive advantage over teams that don't.

Yeah. It’s called studying competitive advantage to exploit it. It’s what everyone does with any rule.

cymatica

Reaction score
Unless you're a racist owner. An owner who has a bias toward skin color would simply say, "a white dude can do a better job..." and then simply hire the white guy. That's why the rule was put in place. What's so hard to understand? Some people are racist, and can't see beyond that.
Some people also assume racism where it doesn't exist and can't see beyond that.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
How many owners and GM do you think are racist? I'd like a number.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Except they were excluding Black coaching candidates for decades until the NFL had to step in and create this rule. It's almost like you want to stay in being wrong without actually learning why the rule was put in place in the first place.

Some people also assume racism where it doesn't exist and can't see beyond that.
270 + F(*&^*% years of racism, and you DENYING that it hasn't been a scourge on America???
IF you ain't Racist, GOOD ON YOU, but, "Racism" is an undressed, goddam scab here in America and around the world...It REALLY DOES EXIST & is F*&^%$# RETARDED.
IF you're WHITE (and I am) You DO NOT UNDERSTAND what a person of color has to deal with for an entire F#(K*NG life.
LIKE IT OR NOT CY, RACISM D-O-E-S EXIST!!
You can't downplay, or dismiss Certain FACTS OF LIFE my friend.

cymatica

Reaction score
270 + F(*&^*% years of racism, and you DENYING that it hasn't been a scourge on America???
IF you ain't Racist, GOOD ON YOU, but, "Racism" is an undressed, goddam scab here in America and around the world...It REALLY DOES EXIST & is F*&^%$# RETARDED.
IF you're WHITE (and I am) You DO NOT UNDERSTAND what a person of color has to deal with for an entire F#(K*NG life.
LIKE IT OR NOT CY, RACISM D-O-E-S EXIST!!
You can't downplay, or dismiss Certain FACTS OF LIFE my friend.
I never said it hasn't been around in America or it doesn't exist, maybe learn how to read before going off the wall on some rant. You obviously are so focused on skin color that my point flew right over your head.

What is ridiculous is trying to pander to certain groups by forcing companies to meet a quota based on skin color. How about we start treating people like they are all equal human beings instead of highlighting their different skin color and assigning different rules based on that? Gee what a concept