Comparing Linebacker Units

indyhawk1984

Reaction score
So naturally I am curious as to how you guys view our Linebacker Unit currently to our previous LB unit in the last era.

As we all remember during our money years in the mid 2000s we had a very heralded and nationally praised LB unit. What thoughts I am looking for from you guys is which unit would you rather have. Now I know that our defensive schemes are different between now and during the Holmgren years, but both sides have a lot of promise.

Before Lofa lost his quickness and knees he was considered one of the top Middle Linebackers in the game with multiple Pro Bowl stints and runner up for Defensive Rookie of the Year if I am not mistaken. Bobby Wagner is much the same coming in right behind Keuchley last year.

So if we compare the groups strengths and performance in the two eras which group you prefer, or would you like to mix and match.

I will add D.D. Lewis to the old group since he was there for the Superbowl run in 05.

Keep in mind when I Say the old group I mean if you could have them in their prime years.

Leroy Hill, Lofa Tatupu, D.D. Lewis, Julian Peterson

vs

Our current LB Unit

I personally would pick our current unit as I think they are speedier and fit more in the mold of a swarming defense.

I think their range is superior compared to our older unit.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't know. To be honest, I'd pick Lofa in his prime, pre injury form. He just made so many more impact plays (mostly INTs).

I'd take Hill in his prime over Irvin and Smith right now.

Wright and Peterson is a toss up. Peterson was more of a physical freak, and would fit in really well in this defense, but he tended to freelance a bit and it would cost us. I'd still think Peterson edges out Wright.

So, believe it or not, I'd go with Lofa, Hill and Peterson (this is assuming they're all in their primes and not injured).

Now, I think Wagner and Irvin in particular can get a lot better; we haven't seen their ceilings yet. I think Smith can overachieve for his size. I think Wright is bumping up on his ceiling due to lack of speed, but he's still damned good. I think this group has the potential to be better, just not yet.

Sac

Reaction score
Wagner is every bit the MB Lofa was, only faster. He doesn't have as many ints but he's not really asked to do that.

rain7

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":20pshoq0 said:
Wagner is every bit the MB Lofa was, only faster. He doesn't have as many ints but he's not really asked to do that.

Not even close to being the same type of player. Lofa was probably *the* best in his prime at getting to where he needed to be before a play would develop. He was uniquely disruptive in that way. Wags is an an athletic freak and tackling machine, but Tatupu had a habit of jusy blowing plays up. Without that, lofa probably didnt belong in the league but he was special to watch at the start of his very short career.

OP
OP
I

indyhawk1984

Reaction score
rain7":3l6mi3o0 said:
SacHawk2.0":3l6mi3o0 said:

Not even close to being the same type of player. Lofa was probably *the* best in his prime at getting to where he needed to be before a play would develop. He was uniquely disruptive in that way. Wags is an an athletic freak and tackling machine, but Tatupu had a habit of jusy blowing plays up. Without that, lofa probably didnt belong in the league but he was special to watch at the start of his very short career.

That's hard to argue against. Lofa's mental sharpness of diagnosing plays before the snap was really unique for him. He was almost a LB QB if you could ever make an argument for one. Wright has impressed mr the most of this current era. His flexibility to move from outside to inside. He has been really consistent since he took over for ugh Aaron Curry. I like KJ a lot and I would grade him over Hill in the older group.

themunn

Reaction score
Hawks46":2iippqjq said:
I don't know. To be honest, I'd pick Lofa in his prime, pre injury form. He just made so many more impact plays (mostly INTs).

SacHawk2.0":2iippqjq said:

I suggest both of you look up how many INTS Lofa had in his first two seasons and compare to how many Wagner has in 1.5 years

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
themunn":157y2wqs said:
Hawks46":157y2wqs said:

SacHawk2.0":157y2wqs said:

I suggest both of you look up how many INTS Lofa had in his first two seasons and compare to how many Wagner has in 1.5 years
I did... and they both have/had 4.

The biggest difference between the two during the same period of time is Passes Defended.

Lofa had 17... Bobby has had 6.