Combine Hotel Room Gets Trashed by Players

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is a serious case of "I'm with stupid." Wow...

"National Fooball Post's Dan Pompei reports NFL teams want to know more about an incident at the Combine in Indianapolis in which a hotel room was trashed, apparently by two players who stayed there. Pompei did not identify them.

One of the players is a potential first-round draft pick, and the incident could affect both players' stock,” Pompei writes. “Front office men hoped to speak with one of the players about it at his pro day, but the player curiously made himself unavailable to talk.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...ashing-at-combine-could-hurt-players-in-draft

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I don't get these people. They're essentially there for a job interview and this is how they behave? If I had a couple million dollar carrots dangling in front of me, I'd be a perfect little choirboy.

sc85sis

Reaction score
How Not to Get Hired 101

Step 1: Trash your hotel room while in town for an interview.

If this is true, it's both poor behavior and exceptionally stupid.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
More information in this regard would be nice. How totally stupid a move this is for these players. It's the kind of thing that gets a player left undrafted.

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3s1v63bk said:
I don't get these people. They're essentially there for a job interview and this is how they behave? If I had a couple million dollar carrots dangling in front of me, I'd be a perfect little choirboy.

You really expect they will be model citizens?? I bet most of them have never had a job interview in their lives

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
So...two kids that have most likely been immortalized since they began playing sports at age 5 or 6, done with college (rules, structure) and make new buddies at the combine. They expend a bunch of emotional and physical energy...21 year olds...never had a job before that they didn't earn by their quality of play...trashing a hotel room shouldn't surprise any of us. Yeah its stupid. How long has it been since you guys hung out with testosterone-fueled 21-yr olds that basically have no rules? Me neither.

Who's more stupider...these kids? Or people that say things like "If I had a couple million dollar carrots dangling in front of me, I'd be a perfect little choirboy." Do you have any clue how many times these guys have made mistakes that were brushed under the rug? Me neither, but I'd say its quite a few.

They trashed a hotel room. That's really news?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":229vr537 said:
So...two kids that have most likely been immortalized since they began playing sports at age 5 or 6, done with college (rules, structure) and make new buddies at the combine. They expend a bunch of emotional and physical energy...21 year olds...never had a job before that they didn't earn by their quality of play...trashing a hotel room shouldn't surprise any of us. Yeah its stupid. How long has it been since you guys hung out with testosterone-fueled 21-yr olds that basically have no rules? Me neither.

Who's more stupider...these kids? Or people that say things like "If I had a couple million dollar carrots dangling in front of me, I'd be a perfect little choirboy." Do you have any clue how many times these guys have made mistakes that were brushed under the rug? Me neither, but I'd say its quite a few.

One of them was a projected first rounder, so yeah, it's news. Ryan Mallett, in the weeks before the draft, missed a meeting with a team but was seen out partying the night before. He ended up in the middle of the third round even though most thought he had first round talent. That stupidity on a job interview potentially cost him millions of dollars.

The combine is a 3 day interview for a very real job. If your parents, agent, and common sense can't convince you that you need to be on good behavior, then you will lose money.

Of course it is news.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":kw3yljkb said:

How is trashing a hotel room that the NFL paid for and refusing to answer for your actions not news? Shows a serious lack of maturity. If this player can't even handle being in a hotel room with another player, how will they react when a team gives them a couple million and sends them on their way?

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m
A trashed hotel room at Indy scouting combine that Yahoo reported on belonged to Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers WR Mark Harrison.

I like both of these players and want hawks to target them.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Let's see here...I'm a studly young athlete and I'm in town trying to impress upon the powers that be that I am worth paying seven figures or more for my football services....what to do what to do. The only trashing I would be doing would be between the sheets with a member or two of the opposite sex......

godawg

Reaction score
I think it's more likely that this was done by someone whose name wasn't tied to this hotel room. If I were the agents for these players I'd get them a polygraph test ASAP.

Laloosh

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":25296t9r said:
-The Glove-":25296t9r said:

You really expect they will be model citizens?? I bet most of them have never had a job interview in their lives

I part ways with many in this regard: I don't think that it's news. I think that it's just very telling and if you can't count on a guy to show up to meetings when his future is on the line, how can you rely on him once you've agreed to pay him millions of dollars and your team/season is on the line?

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2tt7nn17 said:
LoneHawkFan":2tt7nn17 said:

One of them was a projected first rounder, so yeah, it's news. Ryan Mallett, in the weeks before the draft, missed a meeting with a team but was seen out partying the night before. He ended up in the middle of the third round even though most thought he had first round talent. That stupidity on a job interview potentially cost him millions of dollars.

The combine is a 3 day interview for a very real job. If your parents, agent, and common sense can't convince you that you need to be on good behavior, then you will lose money.

Of course it is news.

I apologize for not getting back sooner, but I like this topic.

I guess what I was getting at with my post is that this behavior is- and should be- expected. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often- this kind of thing. Maybe it does and we just don't hear about it because it doesn't involve a potential 1st rounder. How do we know Kam Chancellor didn't trash his hotel room?

It doesn't surprise me in the least, nor does it bother me really. I'm sure there are plenty of kids that will get drafted higher than they will that have been far more irresponsible. What I was getting at was simple- without complete context as to who these kids are, what they do on an every-day basis, what their backgrounds are, how intelligent they are...which basically none of us know- how can anyone make a judgement as to how more or less risky these kids would be as picks? Just because Ryan Mallett's incident cost him a round or two doesn't mean a damn thing. There are droves of folks who put RW in the "too short" bucket without even attempting to quantify the rest of him- the entire context of who he is, and how good he really is. And IMO, behavior is far more complex than any physical tools.

OK so yeah, maybe it's news. But nobody reporting that news, nor anyone on this board, knows these kids good enough to know if this specific incident really means anything for these two kids. Maybe for one its a pattern, maybe for the other it was completely out of character. It only makes sense that it will affect the two kids differently.

And to come full circle back to my original post: "two kids that have most likely been immortalized since they began playing sports at age 5 or 6, done with college (rules, structure) and make new buddies at the combine. They expend a bunch of emotional and physical energy...21 year olds...never had a job before that they didn't earn by their quality of play...trashing a hotel room shouldn't surprise any of us. Yeah its stupid. How long has it been since you guys hung out with testosterone-fueled 21-yr olds that basically have no rules? Me neither."

In the end, yes- very stupid. I guess it's newsworthy. But without any context to throw this news in with- who is anyone to say how this behavior will affect either kid in the draft?

This is why mock drafts and real drafts never parallel each other.