Chris Simms Defensive Tackle ranks (NBC Sports)

Chawker

Reaction score
At number two defensive tackle in this years draft he has Darius Robinson Missouri 6'5" 285

His pod cast about Robinson should shed some light on what a disruptive force he is and his flexibility he could bring to Mac's defensive scheme. If you don't like this player I suggest watching Simms pod cast and this should change your mind on what a beast D-Rob will be in the NFL. Only a fool will deny his worth as a great player.

Cheers

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
You seem to have this weird obsession with the guy lol.

Here's my scout's take on him:

He will probably get taken by a team like Detroit or Baltimore (late 1st). But I view him as a bubble guy. Someone who's a borderline day one pick. He's also a safe pick & will be a productive player for a team. But he doesn't have the same ceiling as some of these other edge/DT's in this class. He's not going to be a yearly double-digit sack guy.

If you want a big edge type in this draft, there are several options throughout. A guy like Marshawn Kneeland comes to mind. They've had him in for a 30-visit. He would make a ton of sense in the 3rd round.

I would prefer to grab a guy with a higher ceiling at Pick 16. The goal should be to draft guys who turn into blue chip players for your team. A guy like Robinson doesn't necessarily fit that description.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score

Here's my scout's take on him:

He will probably get taken by a team like Detroit or Baltimore (late 1st). But I view him as a bubble guy. Someone who's a borderline day one pick. He's also a safe pick & will be a productive player for a team. But he doesn't have the same ceiling as some of these other edge/DT's in this class. He's not going to be a yearly double-digit sack guy.

If you want a big edge type in this draft, there are several options throughout. A guy like Marshawn Kneeland comes to mind. They've had him in for a 30-visit. He would make a ton of sense in the 3rd round.

I would prefer to grab a guy with a higher ceiling at Pick 16. The goal should be to draft guys who turn into blue chip players for your team. A guy like Robinson doesn't necessarily fit that description.
I don't think there is a GM out there that doesn't think the player they pick not only in the 1st but 2nd and maybe 3rd rounds will become a blue chip guy.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I don't think there is a GM out there that doesn't think the player they pick not only in the 1st but 2nd and maybe 3rd rounds will become a blue chip guy.
That holds true if you have a 1st round grade on a guy. But that doesn't mean that every player picked will have that high of a grade. Especially if you're picking towards the end of the round. You might only have 15-20 prospects with a first-round grade on your board.

The chances of drafting one outside the top 50 is pretty slim.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Yes, I do. And here is why. He has played the edge for only a year, he is very green at the postion but, whats the one thing we need coming off of last year ? RUN DEFENSE! D-Rob sets a hard edge in the run game, plus he rushes with power. 8.5 sacks his first year, not bad for a green horn playing DE. On passing down we can move him inside and let him push the pocket.

At the combine he ran a 4.95 yet Missouri has him running a 4.78 40.

You call it weird, I call it slighty unhealthy. But I know talent when I see it. And boy this kid has it ! Guarantee first rounder.

Cheers

chris98251

Reaction score
That holds true if you have a 1st round grade on a guy. But that doesn't mean that every player picked will have that high of a grade. Especially if you're picking towards the end of the round. You might only have 15-20 prospects with a first-round grade on your board.

The chances of drafting one outside the top 50 is pretty slim.
True then you trade back as to not over pay for a guy you don't think meets a grade.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I could be wrong but doesn’t Mike Morris kind of fit a similar profile to D-Rob both physically, athletically, and in skillset?

MiMo has already been in league for a year and while he did end up on injured reserve. You have to feel Mike Macdonald might have a better plan to utilize Morris’ talent since he grew up in the Michigan Defense that MacDonald help build and thusly they spent a year together in ‘21.

Morris and Robinson will also be the same age too when the season starts.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
He is pretty stellar. Dude ran a 4.48 forty? NFL draft buzz loves the guy. Mid 1st grade on him, they listed some pretty nitpicky cons. I wouldn't be pissed at all. especially if you could trade back and still get him at the end of the 1st.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Just think when Mac deploys his new 3-4 defensive line, we'll have two DEs that are 6'5" and 6'6" that will be swating passes out of the air.

I've reported this to fearless leader. Truely a fiendish plan.

CactusJack

Reaction score
He is pretty stellar. Dude ran a 4.48 forty? NFL draft buzz loves the guy. Mid 1st grade on him, they listed some pretty nitpicky cons. I wouldn't be pissed at all. especially if you could trade back and still get him at the end of the 1st.
Ran 4.95 at the combine. He can push the pocket. But he's not necessarily going to win with speed on the edge. He wins by bull rushing Guards & Tackles. He's fairly limited from a technique standpoint.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Ran 4.95 at the combine. He can push the pocket. But he's not necessarily going to win with speed on the edge. He wins by bull rushing Guards & Tackles. He's fairly limited from a technique standpoint.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
I've seen video of a team sending the TE in motion thinking a 260 lbs TE will get a blind side crack on Robinson, and Robinson steps across the LOS unblocked and lowers his head and blows up the TE. Migth as well send a fly after a fly swater. BOOM baby !

CactusJack

Reaction score
I wasn't describing Chop. Darius Robinson is the topic of conversation.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
I've seen video of a team sending the TE in motion thinking a 260 lbs TE will get a blind side crack on Robinson, and Robinson steps across the LOS unblocked and lowers his head and blows up the TE. Migth as well send a fly after a fly swater. BOOM baby !
That's his game. He'll set the edge & be a force player. Primarily as a 3 or 5 tech.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
That's his game. He'll set the edge & be a force player. Primarily as a 3 or 5 tech.
Thats the beauty about Robinson is his versatile he can play a 0 to a 9 tech. Mac said, he wants flexibility, well there you go. Best in a 4, 4i or 5 tech.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Thats the beauty about Robinson is his versatile he can play a 0 to a 9 tech. Mac said, he wants flexibility, well there you go. Best in a 4, 4i or 5 tech.
He'll play inside & over the Tackle. Not from a wide 9 alignment. That's why Simms had him listed as a DT & not an edge player. That's where he's best suited.

I still would not be completely on board with taking him. When there are so many intriguing options available in that range (mid 1st). Byron Murphy would be my preferred choice. Along with a number of Offensive linemen.

Last edited: